Major Dilemma

Guest andrew_obrien

Guest andrew_obrien

I have been offered a 3 month contract with almost deffo extension at $30 per hour. i am currently in the u.k and want to move back to Glenelg but my GF of years does not want to come with me and wants me to stay here a build a life with her. We currently live with her parents and have done so for the past 12 months. the reason she will not move out to glenelg with me is that she does not want to leave her family even though she knows this is something i really want but she is unwilling to try it for a short while.

So the question/choice i have is

1. leave my GF and move to OZ anyway

2. Stay here in the u.k with my gf living at her mum and dads house (i am happy)

Also is the job worth the risk here is the email i got last night

Hi Andrew,

I have had an email from Lorraine. Coming out to meet them is a formality before getting the contract. They are looking for a commitment from you mate. Our previous emails from you indicated that you would be prepared to come out for a "final meeting" and they will then set the contract in place.

Lorraine has said that the first contract will be 3 months and that there was a high possibility of extension past the original 3 months. The problem that they go through is that it is Government budget time, and that is why the initial contract is for three months from start date. Lorraine is a completely up front and honest person in this, and that you would meet Jan at this face to face.

If you can do this, I can assure you the contract is your, and the high poss of additional time. As previously stated, there is plenty of work and we will definitely keep you in work or even a perm job if you want it.

Remember that our Alison has met you, and we are very comfortable in recommending you.

Andrew, buy the ticket and come on out.

Happy to call you later this afternoon.

Kind regards

Anyone been in a similar situation???

Guest kangomik

No mate.................... I have never felt the need to air so much personal info on a public forum.

If you need us to make a decision for you then quite frankly you need to grow a set, or move back in with mummy and daddy.

Ask your GF to read this post, that's 50% of the decision process taken care with for sure.

Guest Amanda12

No me neither!!

Some have though. Read "it's all happening again" on the PIO site. Will he go or won't he? Almost identical. I don't watch soaps anymore!!

Good luck :) I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Guest andrew_obrien
No mate.................... I have never felt the need to air so much personal info on a public forum.

If you need us to make a decision for you then quite frankly you need to grow a set, or move back in with mummy and daddy.

Ask your GF to read this post, that's 50% of the decision process taken care with for sure.

I never asked for you to make a choice for me was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and there experiances thats all. Also was wondering if the job offer was a good one

Guest andrew_obrien
Doh!

I've just checked the other post/thread is still there and found it is you!!!! Not very helpful. Sorry.

lol its fine to be honest i should grow a pair like the other post has said. Its just when you are torn and dont really have anyone to talk to other people opinions help you put a perspective on the matter in hand

Guest andrew_obrien
What is meant to be and all that. Wouldn't poss give any advice tho. It's too personal a choice. Good luck.

Thanks yeah i know its my choice have to weigh it all up its a massive opportunity just wish i could convince my GF to come for while

Guest andrew_obrien
I agree with Moosh - $30 an hour isn't great money, especially when you are having to pay the air-fare over. Do you work in IT? I'm not up-to-date with rates but I earned more than that contracting in Adelaide 16 years ago.

hi yes i work in I.T i have turned down the contract aswell as a job in port pirie as its too far away from adelaide i thought the $30 was ok as it works out at nearly £20 ph. Thanks for the advice on the wages side of things makes me feel better

personally mate you kniw what you want but it is always hard when a partner is not on the same path...what is with a 3 month comittment and if she doesn't like it here then decide wether she is really the one...time to take control of your destiny!!

Go eiht your GUT feeling.....YES or NO ..mmmmm

hi yes i work in I.T i have turned down the contract aswell as a job in port pirie as its too far away from adelaide i thought the $30 was ok as it works out at nearly £20 ph. Thanks for the advice on the wages side of things makes me feel better

Please don't take my advice on rates, as I said I am very out of date, plus the exchange rate now makes $30 seem better than it was 16 years ago. Their job 'offer' to you seems very vague to me, I would want an official contract from them (in writing) - not just a 'get yourself on the plane mate' email before I flew out, otherwise what guarantee have you got that they won't change their mind? Keep looking, keep positive. I'm sure something better will come up and things will work out for the best in the end.

Guest andrew_obrien
Please don't take my advice on rates, as I said I am very out of date, plus the exchange rate now makes $30 seem better than it was 16 years ago. Their job 'offer' to you seems very vague to me, I would want an official contract from them (in writing) - not just a 'get yourself on the plane mate' email before I flew out, otherwise what guarantee have you got that they won't change their mind? Keep looking, keep positive. I'm sure something better will come up and things will work out for the best in the end.

thanks for your support

Guest andrew_obrien
Live the dream you are long time dead.

Plus the say absence make the heart grow fonder.

Its only six months if she loves you she will still be there when you get back.

Good luck.s

i have already turned down the 2 jobs so cant go back on that one. We will see what happens just got to think of the future for me

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just go for it.

If it doesnt work out then at leasy its better to regret the things you have done than always wondering What If !!!!!!!!!!.

As a friend recently told me "life is to be experienced and not to be worked out"

Guest BurgessFamily

You can't just use the current exchange rate to compare pay rates, the long term average for the exchange rate is x2.4, so this would but the comparison of $30/hr = £12.50/hr - and that sounds more like it.

Also, $30/hr over the average 38hr week would be $59,280/yr, which you can compare to the average national salary of $70,000/yr. Though depending where you work in IT, $60k is a fair salary - see http://www.hays.com.au/salary/output/pdf2010/HaysSalaryGuide_2010-AU_it.pdf

Lastly, make sure they aren't including super (and other) benefits in the rate.

Guest andrew_obrien
You can't just use the current exchange rate to compare pay rates, the long term average for the exchange rate is x2.4, so this would but the comparison of $30/hr = £12.50/hr - and that sounds more like it.

Also, $30/hr over the average 38hr week would be $59,280/yr, which you can compare to the average national salary of $70,000/yr. Though depending where you work in IT, $60k is a fair salary - see http://www.hays.com.au/salary/output/pdf2010/HaysSalaryGuide_2010-AU_it.pdf

Lastly, make sure they aren't including super (and other) benefits in the rate.

Thanks for that very informative post. The job was +super