new and nervous

simon@sarah

Hi we are new to this, have been reading various forums but have not until now posted on one.

We are a family of 5...mum, stepdad, 2 teenagers and a 21 year old, all boys. We have been going through the process since 2009 and due to the changes in the SOL have just this year been assigned a CO and and we are off to do our medicals next week so finally feel that we are coming to the end a very long process!

I am having nitemares about the boys settling, most migrating families have young children and I am just concerned that Adelaide will not hold their interest...can anyone advise what life is like in Adelaide as a teenager, what is there to do, to go etc and what sort of area is more teenager friendly? are their surfing clubs or footie clubs..(Aussie rules or not) as this is something they would be interested in.

I would love any comments as it would be lovely to get a decent nights sleep and not lay worrying!!

Thanks guys

Sarah:cute:

Hi Sarah,

I moved here 4 years ago with 3 teenagers. My oldest daughter would only come here if i bought her a return ticket!!!

To be honest it would have been easier if they had been younger. Having said that...there is plenty to do but it depend upon what they are into.

In our local area there's surf lifesaving clubs, AFL stadiums and cricket ovals? There's stunning beaches, diving, indoor swimming and sports facilities? If it's pubs and clubs...most are in town.

My teenagers say that it's boring compared to where they lived before...but. they are out all the time and it's safe....much less worry for me!

We have friends from Yorkshire who are moving here at the end of the year. They have two teenage girls who had serious doubts about the move (understatement!). They came here on a reccie and liked the place.

It's really important to meet people asap. I have one son attending the TAFE and working at woolworths. another doing an apprenticeship, my daughter worked part time at the centre (Mcdonalds!...all giving them exposure to young people...it just takes time.

Despite all the upheaval it's worth the move!

Tamara

Hi Sara

We brought our 15 year old daughter out last June and left our 21 year old son in UK. I was worried sick about her settling is cause she's so shy but she totally surprised me. She misses all her friends in UK & keeps in touch via FB but she's settles so well, she wants to go back to visit her friends but not live there.

Our son came over for holiday at Christmas and went back to UK to find he hadn't got a job to go back to so he's now decided to come over on a 12 month working visa.

Having to also ship the dog over which definitely wont be being shipped back again so hopefully he will decide to stay permanently.

good luck

Tracey

If they're into sports, there are definitely hundreds of clubs for them to get involved with - football, soccer, cricket, rugby is growing, there's basketball, netball (mixed!), tennis, and of course all the sea-type sports such as surf lifesaving, sailing etc. Get them to look up details of stuff like the Fringe Festival, Womadelaide, the Clipsal, the Big Day Out, the International Rugby 7s and stuff like that which happens here in Adelaide - and have a look on sites such as Ticketek and Bass to get an idea of the kind of show/band/music stuff that goes on.

I think with the ages of your lads you should definitely try not to be too far out of the city - most social, sporting, and cultural stuff takes place in the city or thereabouts, and they probably wouldn't thank you if they were stuck a long way away from where everything happens. Find a suburb within about 30 minutes commute into/out of the city at the most. Some of the further away suburbs are lovely for small kids, but I imagine pretty dead for teenagers!

Remember that Adelaide has three universities, so there are plenty of young people here - it's just a matter of your sons getting out there and meeting people, which I guess the two younger ones will do through school, and the older one through either Uni, TAFE, or work soon enough.

I've got a 16 year old daughter who never seems to be short of stuff to do, so if your lads come with an open mind and willingness to give the place a chance, you should have no problem! Tell your youngest he can start learning to drive at 16 too.....:shocked:

Thanks for all the advice, its good to know others have been in the same situation and have come through it with a smile. There is far more to Adelaide for teenagers than i realised, phew,thanks for all the pointers. Have passed the info onto the kids and its seemed to go down well.

Thanks

Sarah:)

Guest jaxndel

Hiya, Good luck with your medicals. We too are feeling exactly the same as you. We had ours last week but my blood pressure is high so I need 3 more readings from my doc. We are a family of 5 too. Boys of 6 and 22 and girl of 16. The youngest two are excited/nervous about the move but the eldest really doesn't want to move to Oz. I am hoping that if we get the visas he can move out there with us and then make his mind up. It is so difficult and I do sympathise with you. I am sure it will all work out one way or another. How old are your teenagers? Are they looking forward to the move? Good luck, Jackie and Del

Hi Jackie, its good to hear from someone in the same position.

We have 3 boys, 15, 18 and 21. The 15 year old is cool about coming and to be honest will probably adapt best out of all of us, the 21 is very keen too cept for leavin his girlfriend, he is just finishing his final year at uni so is a bit worried about what he will do when there and the middle one is not at all keen due to being in love with long term girlfriend!!

doesnt help that me and their dad are divorced so they will be leaving him behind too, though think the gf's have more of a pull!

it has been a really long journey to get to this point, our visa was put on hold along with loads of others, our application went in April 2009, so we had almost given up hope but now its going through, boy its scarey! spend every spare minute on the internet looking at suberbs, jobs etc its exhausting!

Hope you sort out your bp, at this rate mine will be sky high wen we go for our meds!!

Sarah:jiggy:

Hi and welcome to PIA. We are waiting for our CO to grant us a visa but still have a house to sell so no idear really when we will get to Adelaide but hope it wont be too long. I am also worried about what life will be like for our 19year old daughter as most of her friends here she has known most of her life. Beacause of my concerns I have just started a group on here called ,Oldies but Goodies, thought it a good idear for people like ourselves to get to know each other and away of older teenagers to make friends. Good luck with everything.

Hi Barb, the group sounds good, will check it out, if I can work out how to! we still have a house to sell, have estate agents coming round tomorrow to value etc, am hoping that it will not take too long to sell..but like you do not know when we will be leaving! just seems so much to sort out and learn about, it fills every waking moment and at the moment every sleeping moment! good luck with your house.

sarah.

Guest Steph&Lee

Hi Sarah,

We too have teenage daughters. Amy is 18 and Zoe is 13, but we wont be going for a while yet as we are only at the point of awaiting decision for state sponsor. But I know our youngest will make friends via school, but we have said to Amy that she will need to find work asap to enable her to make/meet friends.

We are looking to move towards Hallet Cove, Morphett Vale or Happy Valley areas. These areas appear to be far enough out the city for cheaper housing and beaches, but also close enough to the city if our daughter wants a night out with friends.

It is worrying taking teenagers, but fortunately for us, both our daughters are happy to be going.

Steph

Guest fatman
Hi we are new to this, have been reading various forums but have not until now posted on one.

We are a family of 5...mum, stepdad, 2 teenagers and a 21 year old, all boys. We have been going through the process since 2009 and due to the changes in the SOL have just this year been assigned a CO and and we are off to do our medicals next week so finally feel that we are coming to the end a very long process!

I am having nitemares about the boys settling, most migrating families have young children and I am just concerned that Adelaide will not hold their interest...can anyone advise what life is like in Adelaide as a teenager, what is there to do, to go etc and what sort of area is more teenager friendly? are their surfing clubs or footie clubs..(Aussie rules or not) as this is something they would be interested in.

I would love any comments as it would be lovely to get a decent nights sleep and not lay worrying!!

Thanks guys

Sarah:cute:

Hello Sarah!!

We also have been going thru the Visa process since 2009!! our Medicals are next week as well!! (Edinburgh 25th), just rec Police certificate bk... all being well we should have the long awaited Visa soon!! just need to sell the house (been on market since last Sept), soon as the house goes Adelaide here we come!!!

We have a VERY reluctant 12 yr old daughter and like you very worried she won't settle, but from what we hear most kids settle once they have made new friends... we also have two grown up kids and a Grandaughter that won't be coming with us, now that worries me sick, but I guess you have to do what is right for your own little family unit (I'm hoping the kids might follow us later).....

Good luck with your Meds next week, no doubt we will see you again on the News Threads!... have a good weekend.

Graham (46)... Janis (55) and our reluctant 12 yr old (Sophie)

Aberdeenshire/Scotland.... IN THE COLD!!! ;):arghh:

Hi Sarah,yes there should be a link on your own page that says Groups,"Oldies But Goodies" I have set up for people with older teenagers,the idear being that we can all meet up from time to time so the kids [and us ] can get to know each other. Good luck with selling your house,its a nightmare isnt it? We sold ours once and were let down a few days before the contracts were going to be signd and we had moved into a rental so ended up paying rent and morgage, it has been hell but move back to our own house in April as the contract on the rental ends,thank God! This time though when it sells we hope to have our visas and then just go,what a great day that will be. Looks like you started around the same time as us so maybe we will get our visas around the same time. The best of luck with everything,there is light at the end of the tunnel,lol.

Hi Steph, thats soo good that your girls both want to go with you..i must admit that the youngest and eldest do...just the middle is unsure and doesn talk about it, so i tend to not either, figured will wait til we get the visa then take it from there. we have our medicals on Tuesday, and put hte house on the market today..so fingers crossed it will all come together soon.

we are also looking at those areas and later tonight we have a skype chat with some friends who migrated 4 years ago and live in the brighton area so we are hoping to get some advice.

Its always to good to be in touch with families in the same situation and get feedback esp as far as the teenagers go.

Sarah

x

Hi

Just trying to put all your minds at rest. We moved over here 18 months ago with teenage twin girls. They have settled in brilliantly and have a great group of friends. Of course they miss their friends back home but keep in touch via Facebook etc. There are lots of us Poms out here that have been in the same situation as you guys and we are always willing to help out as much as we can. My girls have friends on Facebook that I have put them in contact with from PIA so they can help put their minds at rest and give them some idea of what life will be like over here.

Keep smiling it will be ok. :biglaugh:

Hello Sarah!!

We also have been going thru the Visa process since 2009!! our Medicals are next week as well!! (Edinburgh 25th), just rec Police certificate bk... all being well we should have the long awaited Visa soon!! just need to sell the house (been on market since last Sept), soon as the house goes Adelaide here we come!!!

We have a VERY reluctant 12 yr old daughter and like you very worried she won't settle, but from what we hear most kids settle once they have made new friends... we also have two grown up kids and a Grandaughter that won't be coming with us, now that worries me sick, but I guess you have to do what is right for your own little family unit (I'm hoping the kids might follow us later).....

Good luck with your Meds next week, no doubt we will see you again on the News Threads!... have a good weekend.

Graham (46)... Janis (55) and our reluctant 12 yr old (Sophie)

Aberdeenshire/Scotland.... IN THE COLD!!! ;):arghh:

Hi guys, good luck with your meds, hope your not dreading them as much as me! thatl be hard leaving your grandchild behind but i agree you have to do what is best for you, and yep you never know they might well follow!!

let us know how your meds go.

Sarah