Moving and shipping dilema!!!

Guest DJM

Are hoping to fly to Adelaide Sept 2011, just wondered if any one could give us any advice as to shipping companies, also how early do we need to ship our stuff over, totally worried about having no stuff in our house. Do we go in a hotel, as we cant stay with family. I have visions of the kids sleeping on the floor with no toys to play with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:chatterbox: I am starting to get very excited and also very scared:biglaugh: Thanks again!!

Guest The Dimmocks

We used pickfords and they collected our stuff 19th January and we left UK 7th Feb. Our stuff arrived in Oz 22nd March. Our house was up for sale and we were leaving it empty so we were able to stay there till the day we left. We didnt bring any beds with us so were able to sleep on them and used an old matteress for kids to sit on in living room and we had some old deck chairs. We kept some of kids old toys for them to play with and the old video player and TV so they had somethings to watch. Everything that was left went to the tip or was given away to family on the day we left.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Hi we have used someone I would certainly NOT recommend! PM me for details.

We only had a shared container and it took 16 weeks :( Not too bad as it was odd bits - no furniture. The packers were useless. Wrapped candles and a ruler but simply put photoframes, ornaments and collectables in the bottom of boxes - topped with books!! Grrr

Not impressed at all.

We decided to squat in our own home - very interesting but also a bit stressful as the last day I was running back n forth from the skip before a long drive and flight - not ideal!

If you can stay with someone I'd say go for it, even if just for the last couple of nights. You will have nothing to worry about then until the goodbyes!

Good luck in the move xxx

Generally if you can have your bags packed that your flying with then let the packers come in with a few weeks before you leave. If you can't do this allow for at least 48 hours for them to do their thing before jumping the plane.

You might just have to have a longer stay in a short term rental here instead or make your flight longer stay some where on holiday on the way.

Most of all try not to stress but I did it's all the little things I get worried about lol like which cups to throw which to pack etc

As for packers there is no hard and fast rule and thing they generally vary by region. Get 3 quotes then go with your gut and recommendations :-)

Guest Steve&Gems

Hi there well we have just made move and are currently in transit we get to Adelaide on friday the 18th of march we sold our house last friday and used Anglo Pacific to move all our stuff in a single use container thay were very good we did not have to pack a thing they did it all. Its best to let them pack things so you are covered on the insurance incase they break anything. We have been told it takes approx 6 to 8 weeks to get there and 2 weeks customs clearance. we ended up staying with parents for 2 days be for jumping on plane. We used a company called aussie assist for our relocation were we found Suzanne to be exalent she securd a 10 week fully furneshed appartment in west beach. She takes all the hassle out of the move. hope this is enough info need any more let me know........Steve.

Guest boesman
Hi there well we have just made move and are currently in transit we get to Adelaide on friday the 18th of march we sold our house last friday and used Anglo Pacific to move all our stuff in a single use container thay were very good we did not have to pack a thing they did it all. Its best to let them pack things so you are covered on the insurance incase they break anything. We have been told it takes approx 6 to 8 weeks to get there and 2 weeks customs clearance. we ended up staying with parents for 2 days be for jumping on plane. We used a company called aussie assist for our relocation were we found Suzanne to be exalent she securd a 10 week fully furneshed appartment in west beach. She takes all the hassle out of the move. hope this is enough info need any more let me know........Steve.

I am trying to get my head around it, but do you need an address in SA first before you can ship your things? If yes, how does one manage to get a property first? Or, do they put your container on the ship bound for Adelaide and then you better get there and give them an address once you found one before the container gets there? Still waiting for our SS and is stressed about these finer details already :chatterbox:. Also, who has packed their own container? would that be cheaper than to let the shipping company do it all for you?

Boesman

Guest Steve&Gems

Hay dude sorry its been a bit of time getting back to you been transit. ok yes you do need an address for shipment but there are ways round this we used our agents address its a good idea to have one even if it is just to take the stress out of it we used Suzann of aussie assist.com for ours she was well worth the small exspence as she only charges for what time she takes depending on what you want. Or better still if you know some one there then use theres as its only so the shippers can corrispond to you your container arrival. you are more than welcome to use my address when i get a permanent one as in tempm acc at mo. my container is due in 5 weeks time so can let you know if you like. As for packing your own container this is not recomended as it advisabull to have insurance on your stuff while in transit and if you use apacker and they brake anything they pay if you pack it then its more bother if something brakes as to proove that you did not brake befor you packed it. Hope this prooves usefull and happy treck. Steve.

Well we used ***** (nb: they have a black cat)****, not impressed from day 1, they promised all sorts when they came to estimate. Eventhough we got rid of a lot of things they still underestimated and all of a sudden we had to 'spare' another 300+!

We felt uneasy about standing over the guys while they worked and took few pictures, but wish we had done more as we were really unhappy! We dropped hints here an there but all too aware that we didnt want to piss them off!! We complained they very next day we were that concerned.

They crammed boxes full, we were told not to pack boxes but were provided about 10 as we had to put our things somewhere! We were told not to seal the boxes or anything so we litterally just stacked things up as best we could. Problem was the packers made no effort to repack the boxes and even added more in! So items were not packed properly at all, they actually only used a few sheets of wrapping and when we got our things noted they wrapped candles and a metal ruler, but not photoframes / ornaments or anything that would obviously break!!??:eek:

I guess it is luck of the draw, we know others that have had a poor service (they do not keep you informed btw!) and others have had a great service!

Just be aware, take photos and inventories detailing cd/dvd/collectables - note we have just found we have 15 cd's missing from our collection!, which btw was alphabetical & kept in great condition as that's what we collect! So know it wasnt us that 'lost' these!!:sad:

When it gets here take photos as you go through the boxes too - just in case!

Maybe the experience would have been different if we just packed the whole house up, we only had a shared container and it took 16 weeks to get here, they didnt inform us about anything - we had to chase.

Anyway that's our experience, just take caution whoever you use. Thankfully you dont hear too many horror stories.

Good luck :cute: