New sol in May

Guest pixie7

Guest pixie7

Hi all

I've read a few comments about the new sol expected out in May to take effect in July. Getting jittery :eek:, we are only in the very beginning stages and know it will be a long wait (only applied for skills assessment so far- hoping to then get SS as primary teacher) but already worried what effect this will have on us.

Anyone got any ideas what will/won't be on new Sol and any effects on us?:goofy:

Thnaks

Guest vicky_1970

I haven't heard about this. We are in the same boat as you - waiting for Skills Assessment to come back then planning to apply for State sponsorship ?

What have you heard ?

Vicky

Guest Adelaide_bound
Ah - I thought you meant the list of jobs was going to change !! Luckily I should have enough points as got 9 in my IELTS !!

Thankyou

It might well - the SOL is the jobs list the DIAC publish, not the SA SMP, and its the SOL that is being revised in May (but may or may not come into effect in July), and may or may not have different/the same job list on it.

Fingers are crossed here that ours (Secondary School Teacher) doesn't disappear - we have scoured the Skills Australia fact sheets, but couldn't really gather anything from that, just a fingers crossed approach really. OH is pretty cheesed off right now, as thinks that it will be taken off knowing our luck and we will then not be able to go. I am trying to stay positive and saying that if it is, we either wait and see if it goes back on, and spend the time raising a stupid amount of money so we can have a lovely lovely long holiday when we get there, or we look for another way to get there.

Pixie - not sure how it effects you if you are Primary teacher going for SOL Schedule 4 SS 176 visa - if that is on there now as a schedule 4 only occupation, can't see that coming off that one surely? I know we don't know for sure, (that being the problem :arghh:) but it makes sense that they leave it on SOL 4 for the different states to decide whether they want to sponsor those occupations on their SMP, and with the predicted shortages in the years to come (from the Skills Australia fact sheet reviews of specific occupations), it might be likely? :nah:

Just wish AISTL would blooming hurry up (to be fair, only posted it off at the beginning of last week, but still! LOL) so we can just get on with things - not that we can apply for SS until I get my IELTs done, and can't do that now until May - grrrrr.

Guest pixie7

Adelaide Bound I hope you're right!

I'm at exactly the same point as you- posted my skills assessment off last week and already impatiently waiting! Not even had the confirmation email yet grrrrrrr.

Got my IELTS booked 16th April so Easter hols will be revision time- don't know how hard it is yet?

Vicky 1970- I was on Poms in Oz and read this link

http://g4.net.au/wiki/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DIAC_Liaison_Meeting_Notes_20110310.pdf

fingers crossed we're all ok, my OH is pretty miserable at the moment to- just want to get their and start the new life- feels like everything on hold until then .....

Guest Adelaide_bound

All the tests are booked up around here for the beginning of April test, but we get married on 12th April, so probably best to leave it until after that, as I am finally turning into a bit of a bridezilla lol. I don't think it would be that hard - I don't know what year you teach, but I'm year 3/4 at the mo and think seeing as I spend most of my time reminding the kids 'read the question, answer what they WANT from you' for the optional NCTs and constant testing we have to do in my school, hopefully I won't struggle too much. I've done a few practise things online and haven't found them too bad really. Alongside the fact we've just adopted Big write and VCOP weekly, think my constant drumming that into the kids as well, will hopefully 'up level' my own writing task for the exam lol. Looking at the general markscheme advice, that seems to be what they want at any rate. The speaking shouldn't be a problem, ditto the listening, the reading just remember to answer what they are asking for, and the writing I'm thinking VCOP all the way. Simples :D

Let us know when you get your email, I haven't had one yet either, and will similarly let you know :)

Guest pixie7

I have the joys of year 6 and Sat's at the moment so I really would be a little embarrassing if I didn't pass!

Good luck with the wedding plans and will let you know about the email asap

Guest Adelaide_bound

Lovely, not jealous at all of year 6...

Will update you as soon as I know anything too, thanks for the kind words - am getting all excited :D

Guest vicky_1970

Just got my IELTS results - did loads of practice as recommended on here - don't think you can be too complacent !! I have a degree etc but was worried about the speaking and writing bit - although you can practice you have no idea of what your marks will be. Thought i'd messed up the speaking big time but managed to get 9 overall !!