renew retirement visa (405) or go for Aged Parent visa (804)?

Guest smac

My father-in law lives with us in South Australia and he is nearing the end of his 405 investor retirement visa (my family are permanent residents). He has met the criteria for renewal of the 405, but due to the cost (about 11k for a 4 year renewal) and the continued financial requirements (needs to earn 50k per year to go for a future renewal) , we are considering going for the non-contributory Aged Parent visa (804).

He is 92 years old, and it seems he would be able to keep getting a bridging visa until the parent visa comes through (when he is 106?). Is this true?

Now for the complexity : though he may well be around for many years to come, it is unlikely he will be able to pass the health check required by the 804 (no health check required for renewals of 405). Thus, my main question is : when will he be required to go for the health check? Would it be soon after we apply or would it be in 14 years when his ticket comes up and it probably wont matter at that point? Or could it be at any time in between?

Should we just take the financial hit of the 405 to gain the certainty, or are we equally safe going for the 804?

My father-in law lives with us in South Australia and he is nearing the end of his 405 investor retirement visa (my family are permanent residents). He has met the criteria for renewal of the 405, but due to the cost (about 11k for a 4 year renewal) and the continued financial requirements (needs to earn 50k per year to go for a future renewal) , we are considering going for the non-contributory Aged Parent visa (804).

He is 92 years old, and it seems he would be able to keep getting a bridging visa until the parent visa comes through (when he is 106?). Is this true?

Now for the complexity : though he may well be around for many years to come, it is unlikely he will be able to pass the health check required by the 804 (no health check required for renewals of 405). Thus, my main question is : when will he be required to go for the health check? Would it be soon after we apply or would it be in 14 years when his ticket comes up and it probably wont matter at that point? Or could it be at any time in between?

Should we just take the financial hit of the 405 to gain the certainty, or are we equally safe going for the 804?

Hi smac

Mmmmm. I can see the problem!

I think that somebody of 92 applying for an Aged Parent visa is nonsense in practical terms, even though it is perfectly possible in legal terms.

In May 2010, the Govt halved the quota for AP visas from 600 to just 300 visas a year, meaning that the wait for a new APV applicant is now about 18 years. Discount that a bit because of F-i-L's age and you probably get to around 14/15 years.

Is a Contributory Aged Parent visa an option for him financially? At his age, that option does at least make practical sense even though it doesn't really make a lot of financial sense. A CAPV would be processed pretty quickly - I know some people who are waiting for one at the moment. They have just been asked to get their meds done etc and the whole process should have been completed within about 6 months all told.

I would think that the PVC would move heaven & earth to process a CAPV application from F-i-L in double-quick time because of his age.

He could just apply for the temporary sc 884 CAPV at the moment and then upgrade that to PR in a couple of years time if he is still with us by then? That possiblity would mitigate the amount of the financial pay-out at this stage whilst giving him full Medicare as soon as his temporary CAPV is granted. He would not then need to bother with private medical insurance unless he wants to have that for his own peace of mind.

Family - Visas & Immigration

My mother is 90 at the moment. She has an offshore Contributory Parent 143 visa. She was almost 85 when it was granted in 2006. For us, the best option was just to pay 100% of the money up-front and be done with it. Her happiness and sense of security is much more important than money, so we just applied for the immediately-permanent CPV 143.

it is unlikely he will be able to pass the health check required by the 804

What gives you a reason for pessimism, please? Obviously, if there is serious doubt about how he would fare on the meds for an sc 804, there would be equal doubt about his meds for a CAPV instead. However there are ways of dealing with that. Rather than my trying to write a book, it would be easier if you could simply say what you suspect might be wrong and then we can consider the possibilities from there.

Cheers

Gill

Hi smac.

I think the risk of failing the medicals - and the ensuing worry about what this means for your father in law's ability to remain in Australia - means a 405 renewal strategy is the way to go.

The release of some of the funds that are being retained by the SA Treasury (the Designated Investment reduces upon renewal) should help ease the pain of the main Visa Application Charge.

Best regards.

Thanks Gill and Alan for your replies. They are very much appreciated!

What gives you a reason for pessimism, please?
F-I-L developed some form of dementia about a 1.5 years ago (sudden onset, then stable; doctors don't know the cause). He can follow very simple instructions; he can eat his own meals. He does have occasional good days where he could carry on a conversation about old times that might appear normal. But generally, he could not tell you the time of day (or sometimes if it was day or night); he would not know we live in Adelaide; he will sit and do nothing until he is told what to do. Physically, apart from bad knees, he is very healthy and I would not be surprised if he was still with us in 10 years.

Based on that, I assume he would fail. Our preferred options in order would be :

1) APV if the medical is done at the END of the 15 year wait.

2) 405 renewal with no need for a medical

If the medical for the APV is done at some uncertain time during the wait (this year, next year, who knows?), then i don't think we could stomach the uncertainty and would go for the 405 for sure. If the medical is done at the end of the APV wait, then that seems ideal.

Just a thought why did he go for the 405 to start with if he must have had the funds for a CPV. If it was because of balance of family (as is often the case) had this changed to allow for a parent visa.
My family came over on a temporary visa. My father in law came over at the same time on the 405 which was the only option.