Weather, weather, weather

Guest rkerrison

Guest rkerrison

Hi all,

In the middle of the long stressful process and ..... one of the MAIN reasons we are hoping to upsticks and leave everything familiar behind us, is the weather but..

all I keep reading on this forum is the cold weather, totally aware it's not year round sunshine but, could those living in sunny adelaide please give us some idea of temperatures all year round e.g how many months of the year are you in t-shirts, or happy to spend the day on the beach without fleeces, scarves etc!!!!!

Thanks everyone

Beckyx:huh:

Guest moonraker1959

Actually I think you'd be surprised how cold SA can get!It also depends where you live in SA.I used to live up country and had the woodburner going from mid autumn through to early spring.I was also wearing a jacket/cardigan at night around Xmas time as well some years.We had hard frosts,even snow one yearSome nights would go below zero.Summer can range anything from low 20's up to 40c and beyond,but thankfully the 40ccan be far and in between.Suburbia in winter is slightly wamer because its built up obviously.It would also feel hotter in summer.Late spring and early autumn were my favourite times of the year.The temps were usually just right.

Guest Guest75

Hiya

Here is my reply to this question in another thread, especially when the need for an electric blanket was discussed.....................

"Top idea for EVERYONE to bring leccy blanket!! Especially at those bargain prices!!

For the weather here I'm speaking in general terms over my 11 years (nearly) here.

It's not bad at all here in winter.

The main thing to remember is that we don't had those gloomy,low cloud miserable days that turn into weeks.

Might be 16c rain in the morning then sunshine in the arvo, temp then drops back down as soon as the sun goes down.

Far more dry days when you can get out in sunshine than the UK. Nice brisk walks on the beach and so on. We go for a lot of drives out/picnics/walk the dogs in Kuitpo Forest.

In Winter there are still days that will top up the tan - dunno if I'd fancy laying out on the beach though!

Autumn and is in her full glory at the moment. Cooler nights and mornings but I still managed to get sunburnt fishing on the boat in 27c:biglaugh: Next few days look to be around 21c but dry. Just nice for getting some jobs done around the house.

Spring is much the same with a sense of anticipation, mid October should start us to see 30c. Very pleasant.

Summers can be very hot and dry, the highest I've personally experienced was 47.5c :shocked:

It was only for a day and rapidly cooled down.

Normally temps of late 20'c's to mid 30c's are the order of the day.

String together a few mid 30c days and it start to become a heatwave. More uncomfortable on a night if it does not cool down.

It is a very dry heat normally with not too much humidity so you can stand the higher temps.

Saying that............ this last 12 months have not been quite average.

Last winter was wetter and colder than normal with quite a few gloomy days.

Summer really never happened to a great extent.

Much more rain and higher humidity.

I think the weather has gone mad globally or possibly a natural shift in the El Nina ??"

Guest scmercer

The temperature is lovely here at the moment, my favourite time of year. It is low to mid twenties, the sun is always shining and it gets a bit cooler in the night. So much easier to do things than in the summer when it can reach 40 degrees!!

It never gets cold like we know it in the UK, although it can get pretty chilly at night in the winter. I have been here 2 years and never had to wear a winter coat, however maybe I still haven't acclimatised!!

I feel the cold here more than I did in Uk. Perhaps that is because we do not have double glazing or central heating and it costs too much to run the ducted gas heating all day. I think it is generally colder indoors here. Outdoors, the temps are much better than UK and we rarely get frosts, never snow, where I live. And you can almost always dry your washing outdoors.

Guest Squareman

Jesus wept! Scotland probably has the worst weather in the world! Adelaide's winters are sunnier than scotlands summers! Youll love it here!

Guest Mitchell

Your definition of the the word cold changes once you've been here for a while. Low 20's and I've got my cardi on! Fully ducted reverse cycle air con when you get here is the way to cope. Works even on humid days when it's flipping hot and according to the news the other day is a cheaper form of heating by a couple of cents an hour than gas.

See Climate statistics for Australian locations

The weather is much better than the UK in my opinion.

When it's hot, it is generally not humid. There are loads more days of blue skies without cloud (like today). Winter can feel cold (partly because of the low humidity) and because the houses aren't well heated, but you generally don't need a thick winter coat, gloves, scarf, hat etc. The further you go inland, the colder/hotter it gets. If you live close to the the beach the summers are cooler and the winters warmer. There are horrible days with wind and rain, but a lot less of them than the UK.

It is meant to be a Mediterranean climate, and far be it for me to disagree with the experts, but the temperatures are a lot less consistent than in the Med. I can remember summer holidays in the Med where the weather would be the same day after day, stuck in a pattern. Here it is likely to be 35 degrees one day and 25 the next, partly because Adelaide is bounded by a huge land mass to the north and a huge ocean to the south. Imagine living on the North Coast of Africa (Morocco or Tunisia) and the whole of Europe didn't exist, just water all the way to the North Pole. That's the situation here (except in reverse of course!).

Guest SA Great
Actually I think you'd be surprised how cold SA can get!It also depends where you live in SA.I used to live up country and had the woodburner going from mid autumn through to early spring.I was also wearing a jacket/cardigan at night around Xmas time as well some years.We had hard frosts,even snow one yearSome nights would go below zero.Summer can range anything from low 20's up to 40c and beyond,but thankfully the 40ccan be far and in between.Suburbia in winter is slightly wamer because its built up obviously.It would also feel hotter in summer.Late spring and early autumn were my favourite times of the year.The temps were usually just right.

Yes definitely not as warm as Wiltshire

I like Summer here,(except when it get's around 40 degrees and above:shocked:...quite rare!),which since i have been here lasts roughly from mid Nov to March/April ish ish!I reckon we get 5 great Months of warmth,then 7 Months of colder weather,which varies greatly,often from day to day.Some Winter days are fantastic,just like an October mini heatwave in the UK,some are dreadful.All in all it aint too bad though,now't a warm fleece can't sort out.;)

Last winter was colder/wetter than average according to the locals. (we have only been here 14 months so don't really know any different). Also, summer has been cooler than in previous years and this March was the coolest and wettest for many years. That said, SA summers are still hotter and sunnier than any UK summers I can recall and even last winter was nothing compared to what the UK has experienced. Autumn/Winter days can be quite warm but it can get quite cool at night, although here in the 'lowlands' it never reaches freezing point as far as I know but apparently they do get frosts up in the hills.

A couple of points to bear in mind though:

Generally, SA houses are not built for cold weather. Most do not have central heating. Some have ducted, split heating/cooling systems (mostly the newer houses), some have wood burners. We just have a gas fire in our lounge and the sun lounge at the rear has local split heating/cooling. The bathroom has a two bar wall-mounted electric fire. We use portable electric fires in the other rooms if needed. And yes, we have an electric blanket.

When you have been here a few years, you will become acclimatised, your blood will thin and you will feel the 'cold' more than when you first arrive.

I personally hate the cold and wet weather but have found winter here bearable, even the 'bad' one we have just had. The cooler, wetter weather we have been experiencing has been attributed to the 'La Nina' weather phenomenon, the same system which has brought flooding to much of Northern and Eastern parts of the country. The opposing 'El Nino' system is often blamed for the prolonged droughts that Australia has experienced. It is a place of extremes when it comes to the weather at times, although SA, compared to many parts of the country, generally has more moderate weather.

All in all, the weather here is much warmer and drier than the UK and for most of the year you can get out and about and do stuff that you could only do for a couple of months in the UK (if you are lucky!)