question

ianb

A question to all the lucky people who have already made it or the lucky ones who are booked and ready to go!;)

Apart from Singapore Airlines does anybody have any other airlines that they have used and have received an increased Baggage Allowance?

Already starting to look at flights etc and also looking to combine with a stopover as well, so depending on what airlines do increased allowance may well affect where the stopover will be:idea:

Any help much appreciated

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We flew over with malaysia, they did extra baggage for one way flights, ours was a return as we thought it was going to be a recci! We took 3 extra cases to send by "excess baggage" I smiled very nicely at the girl, who put one through free of any charge, the other 2 we sent with excess baggage, They turned up within a couple of days.

sarah

Guest happy-jools

Hi Ian not sure if you read our post, but were going visa USA. It is a long way to go round it, but were having a week in LA, then flying off to Sydney for four days.

Anyway going via the USA you get 2 x 23Kg of luggage per person. So for us four thats 8 pieces weighing no more thank 23kg each. Were going to struggle, but one of the reasons for going the USA route.

Good luck.xx:wubclub:

Guest Rob and Clare

We flew with Singapore and got 30kg each, we just gave them a call and asked if it was ok to increase it, but i've heard the US route gives you much more allowance. You can pay for extra too, may just be worth calling the airline to ask what the rate is.

Rob

Hi Ian

My mother got 40gs from Singapore Airlines in 2006.

I've heard that Emirates offer 50kgs per passenger, though you would need to check this direct with with them to find out if it is true.

They also fly from Gatwick which might be handy for you, and Dubai is definitely a "must see" place nowadays. Remember that from anywhere in Oz, places like Singapore, Bali, Thailand, Malaysia, Kinabalu etc are all deemed to be "on the doorstep", ditto all the islands in the Pacific, and there are loads of cheap package tours to anywhere in these areas.

I think I might well give serious thought to a stop over in Dubai. There must be good scuba diving there because apparently they will carry 10lbs (22g) of scuba gear for any passenger in any class of seat, in addition to the normal baggage allowance and at no additional cost.

Plus I happen to love Middle Eastern food....

Cheers

Gill

Hi Ian,

I checked all this out when we booked our flights:

Phoned up Maylasia air.....and couldnt get through to talk to anyone!

Cathay Pacific told us that we have to buy a 'special' migration fare?!?! to qualify for the full 40kgs. But that was more expensive.

Quantas would grant us double allowance if we rang them and sent proof of visa grant, but we found them a bit expensive.

Singapore would grant us double on production of the visas at checkin...have this in writing and verbal. We also found their prices more reasonable.

Dan and Steph

Hi again Ian

Scooterdan's post has reminded me of another thread on another forum recently and it is something to watch out for.

The lady's Contributory Parent visa was granted asnd as there was nothing to keep her in the UK she booked a one-way seat to Sydney with Qantas. £500 or so which was cheaper than al the others just at that moment. About a week before she was due to fly she phoned Qantas about the baggage allowance. They told her that they would give her 40kgs provided that she booked a special migrant fare which would be £800 one-way.

I found this unbelievable because it amounts to frontloading the cost of 20kgs of excess baggage onto the price of the ticket regardless of whether or not the passenger brings 40kgs of baggage to the check-in. I thought that surely there must be some mistake somewhere, so I rang Qantas myself making like I was intending to emigrate to Sydney. They told me exactly the same as they had told the Contributory Parent visa-holder.

It would be quite tempting to ask both Qantas and Cathay whether they have ever managed to sell one of these special "migrant fare" tickets, I feel.....

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for the advice. It does seem that Singapore Airlines are the best for baggage allowance going that way round as we thought.

Must admit Jools that is another option by going via US. Only trouble might end up being an expensive shopping trip!:confused: Will have to send cash to the east and we head west!:biglaugh:

Guest dglamoore

We got 40kg with Singapore - think most of the airlines will give you extra as a migrant and as Julia said going via USA ups it more :cute:

Emirates offer a 50kg deal for migrants if you are willing to go via Sydney but then you have the little problem of getting that much through on an internal flight !!!

Lisa:v_SPIN: