pet shippers

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

hi,

Has anyone any advice on shipping pets?

We have a Bedlington Terrrier that we want to fly over, any reccomendation on a reputable company ? costs etc

How do you get them from Melbourne to Adelaide ?

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise

Some friends of mine recently used Airets for their German Shepherd and were delighted with the service. Golden Arrow have a good reputation as well.

The price depends on the size of the dog.

Don't let your dog have any more boosters without telling the vet you are planning to migrate to Australia. The vet has to leave out of the boosters (not sure which one) because otherwise the dog will test positive for leptospirosis and must be free of all positive traces of that before s/he can be flown to Australia.

If ot already microchipped, it is a requiremet that the pet must be microscipped prior to travelto Oz.

The quarantine kennels in Melbourne can recommend non-quarantine kennels locally who will collect your pet from the QKs, look after him/her, arrange an onward flight to Adelaide take him/her to the airport in Melbourne etc.

You would need to ring up Adelaide Airport, insist on being put through to the pet handling section, and ask them about arrangements for collecting your pet from them. I imagine that they would simply let him/her out of the crate and let you go on your way. They might want a vet to take a quick look at a pet prior to release or they may not bother with that if the pet is clearly OK - don't know.

Note - once crated - which is sometimes some hours before a flight leaves - no pet is given food or water until it has been released from the crate at the destination. I don't know why this is, but a vet should be able to explain - or the pet-shippers.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Louise,

There is an article on this very subject in this months Australia & New Zealand magazine. I didn't read it myself as I don't have any pets making the trip. It might be worth your while picking up a copy.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Our friends dogs traveled with Airpets based at Heathrow airport

http://www.airpets.co.uk/

It cost approx 3000 pounds for both, and that included everything from vets bills, Airpets costs, flights, quarantine costs (30 days at Melbourne) and fees with Jetpets (an aussie based company) who flew the dogs from Melbourne to Adelaide, and delivered them to the door.

It was worth every penny.

Guest Martin and Val

Hi,

We are taking two dogs with us but as yet haven't really done anything about it. Here are some web links that may help you.

www.animalairlines.co.uk

www.petexports.co.uk/australia

www.rspcasa.asn.au

I are led to believe that although they cant have any food on route they can have a water feeder attached to the crate.

Cheers and happy new year

Martin and Val

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

It cost approx 3000 pounds for both, and that included everything from vets bills, Airpets costs, flights, quarantine costs (30 days at Melbourne) and fees with Jetpets (an aussie based company) who flew the dogs from Melbourne to Adelaide, and delivered them to the door.

Thanks for the advice Lynne, i will look them up & get a quote

Louise:o

Guest LOUISE HANNAH
Hi,

We are taking two dogs with us but as yet haven't really done anything about it. Here are some web links that may help you.

www.animalairlines.co.uk

www.petexports.co.uk/australia

www.rspcasa.asn.au

I are led to believe that although they cant have any food on route they can have a water feeder attached to the crate.

Cheers and happy new year

Martin and Val

Thanks very much for the advice, I will look them up

Louise:o

Guest daveblade178

Hi how big were your friends dogs, I had a quote of Airpets and they quoted me 4,500 GBP for my 2 dogs. I have Boxers which I would imagine are medium size dogs

Guest CARMEN

Hi - We've Got A Jack Russell That We're Going To Take To Adelaide, So I Checked Out Airpets And They're Going To Send Me A Quote; Seems A Pretty Comprehensive Service To Me - Hope Our Travel Plans Are As Well Organised!

:idea: