Unsure about Adelaide

Guest beth

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have come to it to ask questions as we have a job opportunity in Adelaide.

We visited two years ago when the same opportunity came up and to be honest did not fall in love with the city so turned it down. We are now debating it again and think maybe we just werent in the right place to review it.

Our findings were that (and please dont take offence) Adelaide seemed really behind the times, like in the 1970s/80 , it just wasnt modern at all. People didnt dress up to go out and eat, it was like a country city and as such we felt we didnt fit in.

We now have a 3 year old and wonder if it would be good for her.

Can anyone chat to me about life in Adelaide?

Thanks

Hi I guess it depends where you go out to eat. I've been to Sydney and Melbourne since being here and the same can be said there, unless you go to upper class restaurants it's a casual affair - though that said it's the same in the UK!

There are some really nice areas in Adelaide and restaurants/bars/cafes that have certain dress codes.

But it really comes down to what lifestyle you want! If you're used to the more metropolitan lifestyle then I'd say go to Melbourne or Sydney, Adelaide is very laid back in comparison! Plus prettier.

Depends also where you come from, we come from Wiltshire so to us Adelaide provides the City lifestyle without being overpowering (or with ugly high-rises), but if you're used to London then it will seen REALLY quiet!!

As far as your little one Adelaide is a good start, fantastic beaches and homely atmosphere. There's no reason why you cant start here and explore further if its a foot in to where you want to be in the world!?

Good luck

Von x

I agree Adelaide is a big country town..........thats part of its charm.

It isnt for everyone, where is??

the pluses Adelaide offers ,in my opinion, outweigh just about the downsides in comparison with other metropolitan cities................especially as we have kids!

easy navigation around the city;

nice, clean beaches;

nearby countryside;

local shops! As well as the big shopping centres...i think this makes for a "village lifestyle", something i enjoy cos going into the city week in week out is a pain in the backend!

"cheaper" living expenses....fuel is cheaper here than anywhere in Australia!

"cheaper" rental prices......up to $200 cheaper than Darwin, and Sydney per week!; lets face WHO would move to Darwin.......2 seasons, wet or dry!

good schools.

Terrible public health though, according to the natives...never had occassion to use it myself, so bias comes in there!!

Dressing up for dinner.............nice concept, but when its over 30 degrees, not very practical! The going without shoes/ footwear is UGLY, i must say.

You can still look good without being dolled up to the 9's!

Anyone can find negatives, about anywhere.........it takes a lot more effort to be positive.

Come here, try it out......no-one is held prisoner in SA, except the criminals!!

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have come to it to ask questions as we have a job opportunity in Adelaide.

We visited two years ago when the same opportunity came up and to be honest did not fall in love with the city so turned it down. We are now debating it again and think maybe we just werent in the right place to review it.

Our findings were that (and please dont take offence) Adelaide seemed really behind the times, like in the 1970s/80 , it just wasnt modern at all. People didnt dress up to go out and eat, it was like a country city and as such we felt we didnt fit in.

We now have a 3 year old and wonder if it would be good for her.

Can anyone chat to me about life in Adelaide?

Thanks

You done well with your description of Adelaide we said that when we came here 14 years ago to live.

Guest karyn1
You done well with your description of Adelaide we said that when we came here 14 years ago to live.

So has your opinion changed since 14 years ago ??:err: