Is it really a better life???

Guest Viksta

Guest Viksta

We have decided after many, many years of talking about moving to oz, decided to go for it, we were hoping to go to brisbane as my sister in law is there and it would be nice to have family, however i was advised due to my own circumstances we could only go to Adelaide with statesponsorship, which is fine, looking on here, it sounds fab!

We have applied online and am waiting to hear if they have received our paperwork.

Now I am starting to panic that maybe it isnt the best thing to do!

I know everyone had lots of different opinions and experiences, but i was wondering if it really is a better life?

We live in Slough, which is not a very nice place to live any more, but I'm wondering if we would be happy just moving area or if oz really is the better option, my main concern, (which i know this is for lots of people!) is leaving my parents, my son is so close to 'nanny and grandad' so I cant decide if moving to the other side of the world is going to be all its cracked up to be if we cant share if with mum and dad?

I think i just kinda need to know some of the small things about oz?

Does this make sense??

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Viks :cute:

This really all depends on what your life is like here and what your ocupation offers in Adelaide compared to here. You need to do your reasearch on all of these aspeacts and i would recommend a recce to Adelaide aswell. When we did our recce we did Adelaide & Melbourne and did not like Melbourne atall. We loved Adelaide as it ticked all of our boxes. If you have not been a recce in my opinion is esential as without one you dont really know what you are letting yourselves in for. Lots have done it without recces and its worked but i would not have been willing to have moved my family, sold my house, and given up my whole life without visiting first. Alot of people say they cant afford to but i could not afford not to. The recce and everything else is just reasearch and more reasearch. Good luck.

Guest Squareman

You need to come for a recce and get a better idea. In my opinion, Adelaide is better than anywhere in the uk because you have great weather, the people are friendlier abd have a positive outlook on life and kids grow up in a more 'traditional' environment - good values, work ethic etc.

Alot depends on where your coming from and what sort of lifestyle you currently have.

The lifestyle we have out here is pretty amazing, Beach, sunshine, wineries, dolphins stuff we could only ever dream about when we lived in the UK.

Sure we have had tought times real tought times....like being out of work, mrs having to go ba ck to UK for funeral etrc etc....but we picked ourselves up dust yourself off and carry on.

There are heaps of poeple out here from all walks of life going through similar stuff each day...make feinds quickly as these become you new family...to share the good and the bad times with.

From our experiences so far after 3 years we could not have made a better choice.

HG

Guest taunton

It is such a hard choice to make, to leave family...

We first emigrated in 2006, we had family visit us within the first 14 months, we then had a sudden death in the family 3 months after that which just knocked me sick...then my brother became ill back in the UK and with this I decided that as a family we would return.....we returned in 2008, seeing all the family was just amazing, being back in the UK was just great, but after 6 months I realised what a mistake it was to return to the UK for good, both my husband and I had good jobs in the UK, family to hand , but something just didn't click......

We decided last year we would return to OZ, the life style is better, it is better for the kids and better for us....sadly we lost my brother through ill health late last year and at first it did put a sudden stop to our plans to return...but after a couple of months we still realised that returning to OZ was the best for us as a family...

I am very close to all my family and leaving them for the 2nd time is really hard, but this time round I am prepared for the best and the worst situations that can be thrown at us..

The kids adapt well and much more quickly than you will as you will be the one worrying about everyone else...the heart strings get pulled in evrey direction you can imagine, there is no two ways about it, if you are a close knit family it will be hard on you all.

In my/our experience, living in Adelaide then returning to the UK and now returning back to Adelaide, you have to have an open mind, things can be tough, there will be days when you think, god what have we done, but the good days far out way the bad ones and the bad ones get less and less....

The prospects for the kis are far better in OZ and far better for the adults, and just because you have state sponsership does not mean you have to stay in that place for ever.....we had state sponsership and could have moved any where after completing 2 years in Adelaide.....

Do your research, use sites like this one as much as you can....most people are more than happy to give up their knowledge and personal views and experiences....

For some it is not a move to be taken lightly, for some it is instantly the best thing they have ever done and never regret it......

This is my opinion only, but if you have a chance in life then take it, life can be so short for some and life is for living and not having regrets...

Good luck with all your plans and research...

Cheers Wendy :jiggy::jiggy:

Guest Trakki

As others have said it really depends on you. For us yes it is 100% better, although we don't own our own house like in the UK we are alot happier, have a lot more family time and love it. It has certainly not been easy as those that know us will agree but we would not even contemplate going back even if someone offered us millions. you have to be prepared for the hard times and boy do they get hard but if you are willing to put the effort in then you will reap the rewards. You have to also be prepared for missing your family, you have to decide if you could cope with that.

As I said for us Yes it is a better life and no we wouldn't swap it

It is such a hard choice to make, to leave family...

We first emigrated in 2006, we had family visit us within the first 14 months, we then had a sudden death in the family 3 months after that which just knocked me sick...then my brother became ill back in the UK and with this I decided that as a family we would return.....we returned in 2008, seeing all the family was just amazing, being back in the UK was just great, but after 6 months I realised what a mistake it was to return to the UK for good, both my husband and I had good jobs in the UK, family to hand , but something just didn't click......

We decided last year we would return to OZ, the life style is better, it is better for the kids and better for us....sadly we lost my brother through ill health late last year and at first it did put a sudden stop to our plans to return...but after a couple of months we still realised that returning to OZ was the best for us as a family...

I am very close to all my family and leaving them for the 2nd time is really hard, but this time round I am prepared for the best and the worst situations that can be thrown at us..

The kids adapt well and much more quickly than you will as you will be the one worrying about everyone else...the heart strings get pulled in evrey direction you can imagine, there is no two ways about it, if you are a close knit family it will be hard on you all.

In my/our experience, living in Adelaide then returning to the UK and now returning back to Adelaide, you have to have an open mind, things can be tough, there will be days when you think, god what have we done, but the good days far out way the bad ones and the bad ones get less and less....

The prospects for the kis are far better in OZ and far better for the adults, and just because you have state sponsership does not mean you have to stay in that place for ever.....we had state sponsership and could have moved any where after completing 2 years in Adelaide.....

Do your research, use sites like this one as much as you can....most people are more than happy to give up their knowledge and personal views and experiences....

For some it is not a move to be taken lightly, for some it is instantly the best thing they have ever done and never regret it......

This is my opinion only, but if you have a chance in life then take it, life can be so short for some and life is for living and not having regrets...

Good luck with all your plans and research...

Cheers Wendy

Spot on.....:)

HG

Guest Viksta

Thanks everyone!

Everything over here is pretty awful these days, I know people don't like people bagging the uk and i'm not it just doesnt really feel a nice place to bring up children (but that is my opinion!)

I've been to oz a few times and fell in love with the place, but we've never been to Adelaide! We will definately do a reccie before making the big move, think I just needed reassurance that life for they boys mainly would be better! As you know we've just had some 'good' weather and it makes such a difference being able to take them outside and do things!

Will keep you all posted on how we get on!

Thanks again

Viks

Guest Django

I wouldn't say the word 'better' in the thread's title but 'different'. Its different values, different outlook, different opportunities, etc. In short a different life.

Indoors family life is family life. If people think that by moving here any family problems will sort themselves out then they are in for a shock. Things will be exactly as they were in the UK.

Out side of the house however is a totally different ball game. whether it is better or worse depends on the individuals. For some, they take to it like a duck to water while others will needs a trip back to the UK to decide whether its for them or not. Another group will want to book the flight back within a few weeks of arriving.

Reckies are all well and good but, its not until you are living here, earning and spending dollars day in day out will you really know. We have been here a little short of 3 years and there are still times I feel like I'm on holiday so how you can 'switch off' from holiday mode in a few weeks on a reckie is beyond me. I would say if you are committed to come just make the move. The money you would spend on a reckie/holiday you could save and it will come in very useful this end or it could be in reserve to pay for your flights back should you decide its not for you.

Good luck

Pete

I wouldn't say the word 'better' in the thread's title but 'different'. Its different values, different outlook, different opportunities, etc. In short a different life.

Indoors family life is family life. If people think that by moving here any family problems will sort themselves out then they are in for a shock. Things will be exactly as they were in the UK.

Out side of the house however is a totally different ball game. whether it is better or worse depends on the individuals. For some, they take to it like a duck to water while others will needs a trip back to the UK to decide whether its for them or not. Another group will want to book the flight back within a few weeks of arriving.

Reckies are all well and good but, its not until you are living here, earning and spending dollars day in day out will you really know. We have been here a little short of 3 years and there are still times I feel like I'm on holiday so how you can 'switch off' from holiday mode in a few weeks on a reckie is beyond me. I would say if you are committed to come just make the move. The money you would spend on a reckie/holiday you could save and it will come in very useful this end or it could be in reserve to pay for your flights back should you decide its not for you.

Good luck

Pete

Spot on!How very true.

Good luck

Pete

You will never be able to switch off from hoilday mode on a holiday and without doubt you will never know for sure untill you are living there but i would kick myself for moving myself and my family to the other side of the world without seeing it first if it does not work. I would bet the percentage of people it does not work for without a recce far outweighs the ones that did one.

Guest suttons

We did a reccie this time last year to both Adelaide and Sydney, and found that Adelaide was more in line with what we were looking for, it takes guts to move to the other side of the world without having seen it when there are kids involved. We are due to hopefully start our new lives in Adelaide later this year. Good luck with what you decide.

Guest lastboyscout

Good luck

Pete

Bang on there Pete, I`ll say again, and I`m repeating myself because I have used this before in other threads....... Same ****, shinier bucket ;)

And as for doing a reccie, I wouldn`t bother, save your money, we did it without a reccie, didn`t know a soul here (apart from email contact with my previous employer) and have never looked back :D:D

Fortune favours the brave !!!!!!!!!

Guest Django
You will never be able to switch off from hoilday mode on a holiday and without doubt you will never know for sure untill you are living there but i would kick myself for moving myself and my family to the other side of the world without seeing it first if it does not work. I would bet the percentage of people it does not work for without a recce far outweighs the ones that did one.

I would disagree. I would say its around the same. I met someone that made two reckies and still moved back to the UK. Save your money and just do it. You know you want to. :biglaugh:

Our situation was...I visited Australia on my own in 1996/1997 for 14 months on a working holiday visa and loved the country and 10 years ago saw the UK was going downhill and Australia offered plenty of opportunities. When the relationship with my partner was clearly going to be long term I suggested emigrating to Australia. My partner had never been to Australia until we emigrated and was going on my vision of 10 years ago and information from family and friends that had visited in subsequent years on holiday.

Out of the two of us, my partner who had never visited has taken to life in Adelaide like a duck to water and called Adelaide home very early on, for me it took a bit longer, not because I did not love life in Australia but I missed family and friends and finding a rewarding job took longer than I thought it would.

I am not sure if there is a right or wrong answer to the reccie question, I think if you come with the right attitude and embrace starting a new life in Australia you are on the right track.

Guest moonraker1959

Only you can make that decision once you get here.Its just too personal I think for someone to say go for it!It depends where you're from,where you're going,work,schools,family,money,the list goes on.Be realistic in your expectations,and look at the whole picture,not just whats featured on "Wanted Down Under"!My parents emigrated in 1970 with us kids,and all they had was a 2 page brochure on Australia to go by.No internet,no family,no reccie.Personally unless you've got buckets of spare cash to burn,what are you going to gain by a reccie?You have Google Earth to virtually drive around suburbs,employment on line(well some anyway)schools and so on.Forums such as this one to ask questions.

Guest Viksta

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your views and opinions!!

I know its each to their own and all that but I do appreciate it!

Maybe the word i should have used was 'lifestyle'!!

Will keep you all posted!!