Buy a car to take

Guest jasongd

Guest jasongd

Hi,

I was looking at someones calculations for importing a car from here to Oz.

He has done it and had his car valued at £9000 here and $35000 in OZ, and it cost him £1300 to ship and £200 for insurance.

With the exchange rate being $1.44 it really sounds a sound investment to buy here and take a car.

He advised taking an automatic as its worth a lot more down under.

Anyone share their experiances.

Thanks Jason

Hi,

I was looking at someones calculations for importing a car from here to Oz.

He has done it and had his car valued at £9000 here and $35000 in OZ, and it cost him £1300 to ship and £200 for insurance.

With the exchange rate being $1.44 it really sounds a sound investment to buy here and take a car.

He advised taking an automatic as its worth a lot more down under.

Anyone share their experiances.

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason we also thought about taking our car but when we looked into the cost and that we would still have to hire a car when we get there for about 7 weeks while it arrived we decided against it,you also have to have owned the car for at least a year as i understand ,probably to stop people cashing in on the high values in oz ,cheers Jim

We looked into it but having done some research have decided against it.

And yes, you do have to own it for a year before importing to stop the profitering. Plus the value isn't a given once you get here. I read on the sister site someone got stung for a heap more when importing a car recently as they valued the car at double what the shipper had been expecting. Plus steam cleaning it the Aussie end. So he got hit with a large bill once it arrived.

Some people do ship them and it might work for you, but remember the 1 year rule or else it really will hit your wallet.

Guest guest3462

The total cost for shipping a car based on a 2005 BMW 1series sport is around £5000. this includes all shipping fees, quarantine, cleaning, customs clearance, aus rego (car tax and third party insurance) and the fee for converting to an aus registered car. You sp also have to have owned the car for at least 12 months. It is worth it if you have a fab car that costs a lot here but to be honest we have bought fantastic quality vehicles nearly new for very reasonable rates with good finance deals (and we are not permenant residents).

Guest BurgessFamily

I'd be wary of importing an everyday car that is a different model to what you get here as it could mean it'll be worth a lot less when you come to sell it on.

Many cars have different engines etc... and this could be seen as a 'problem' as they may have to import parts rather that use off the shelf.

Guest The Broadheads

We were told to expect a total cost of around 8000 pounds!!!! (why hasn't my new keyboard got a pound sign?? I've only just noticed, Australia or wherever, you still might need to write a pound sign-like now!! lol). I guess if you have your dream car and can't bear to be seperated then you'll pay the price. I won a car in a competition in the UK and only had it a year!!! I loved it and it meant a lot, but still not worth the chew it would have taken to get it here. Nic :chatterbox: