Wont make the deadline

Guest jakeandshelley

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

I am a Primary School Teacher who started this process in November 2008. All the changes have lead us down the SS route ( we always wanted to end up in Adelaide though). However my skills assessment had expired so had to apply for a new one. There were a few hitches and now we will miss tomorrow's deadline!

Anyone in the same boat? Can you offer any advice on what to do next?

Thanks, Shelley. x

Guest pixie7

Shelley,

I'm so sorry for your situation. I'm a primary teacher too and hopefully docs will be delivered tomorrow to make the deadline:huh:

Do you have IELTS etc ready? Not sure what advice I can give- all waiting until July and the new points test and SS lists. Fingers crossed SA will keep Primary teachers on- let us know how you do.

Goodluck- I'm sure your time will come :)

Guest harrison clan

Hi Shelley,

We are in the same boat, still waiting to hear back from the TRA, so we have missed the deadline too. Are there any other states sponsoring primary teachers you could try? Have you already lodged your visa app and are adding SS? If not, will you have enough points come July with the new points test proposed?

We are going to apply for WA SS when we get the TRA, they are taking about 4-5 weeks just now so hopefully we should hear back from them before July. Adelaide has always been our first choice and I was gutted when they announced the deadline, but if in order to get there we have to spend a couple of years in WA first then so be it.

Hopefully the goalposts won't change again, I just wish we knew exactly what was going to happen in July, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Good luck whichever route you take :)

Wendy

Guest helene73
Hi Shelley,

We are in the same boat, still waiting to hear back from the TRA, so we have missed the deadline too. Are there any other states sponsoring primary teachers you could try? Have you already lodged your visa app and are adding SS? If not, will you have enough points come July with the new points test proposed?

We are going to apply for WA SS when we get the TRA, they are taking about 4-5 weeks just now so hopefully we should hear back from them before July. Adelaide has always been our first choice and I was gutted when they announced the deadline, but if in order to get there we have to spend a couple of years in WA first then so be it.

Hopefully the goalposts won't change again, I just wish we knew exactly what was going to happen in July, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Good luck whichever route you take :)

Wendy

Sorry to here that Wendy what a shame we can't trade places I wanted WA to begin with, good luck Perth is wonderful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Adelaide_bound

If you read the jobs reports, teaching appears to be something they think they will still need - despite people saying there just aren't the jobs there at the moment, the SMP considers the entire state, not just the metro area of Adelaide, and it would appear that rural schools still can't get the teachers, and with 45% of the teaching workforce being aged 50 or over, it means in the next 5-10 years there will be a shortage going on current numbers, so they need teachers to be there to plug the gap - its no good Australia going in 5-10 years, 'quick, we need teachers' that will put their education system at a disadvantage - much better to get teachers in situ now so they can get familiar with the system ready to be good experienced teachers ready to plug the gap.

Having said that - from July, the points threshold for both the 176 and 175 will be the same (65 points), so if Primary School teacher comes off the SMP, you can apply for the 175 visa instead - we still don't know if they are going to continue with priority for 176 visas, so it may be that it doesn't take any longer under a 175 visa or we don't know how many people will be applying after the change, as it seems from the forums that far less people will be eligible to apply so there will be less people applying maybe and therefore all visas might be going through quicker.

We are having to wait until after July to apply (still waiting skills to come back, still not done IELTS and SS now shut), whether we still go for the 176 visa, or change for a 175 visa (we are still set on SA though either way) we don't know it depends on the processing times (obviously wanting to get there asap). TBH for us, we far better under the new system anyway, as I'm 32 (the main applicant), or will be in a couple of weeks, so the changes bump up our score quite a bit, and we easily get the points, whereas before it was a struggle to get the required amount really.

Everything for a reason in life - for us its all working out for the best because we get more points after the change, and hopefully the visa will go through quicker then. If not, well, there will be a reason for it :)