When/how to tell our young children?

Guest bidsandrew

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advise for me.

We have got our state sponsorship and just sent off our visa app. Now that's its looking like a reality we dont know when or how to tell our 2 young children. One is 5 (6 in July) and one is 2 (3 in June).

I dont think we should mention it all yet as they are so young. Also to get our visa granted still could be a long time which to them is a very very very long time! Some of my friends that we have told say that we should tell them.

Anyone with advice or experience in this would be great.

Thanks

Bridget

Guest hel&sam

well mine were older but we involved them from the start, they knew if was happening for two years so there was never any big drama really, still hard at the end but no big announcement to contend with and i'm crap at keeping secrets anyway.

helen.

We have got our state sponsorship and just sent off our visa app. Now that's its looking like a reality we dont know when or how to tell our 2 young children. One is 5 (6 in July) and one is 2 (3 in June).

I dont think we should mention it all yet as they are so young. Also to get our visa granted still could be a long time which to them is a very very very long time! Some of my friends that we have told say that we should tell them.

Thanks

Bridget

Hi Bridget,

When We had this issue Our son was around 5 going on on six so a little bit older. We were honest with him and just told him and explained why we wanted to do the move-At first he was stunned, excited ,upset didnt want to go-he would miss his friends etc and then came round.

I was quite hash when I think back about it 2 years ago as we started the whole proccess TRA evidence etc..

i told on the lines of :at the moment we are responcible for you and we are doing this to provide you with the best / better future and more things to do-a new adventure,there is nothing to worry about and we love you very much

I even said that until he is of age he really does not have a choice and when he does it is upto him where he lives,-like i said i told him how it was.

After a day or too we were lucky for the fact he wanted to go and every thing he looks at,reads talks about has been Australia-and when i get there i am going to be doing this etc..,fab

We bought books on the wildlife, dangerous animals ,language what to see and he embraced it really well- before we got the SS and now the visa-he has just wanted to go-like a child at christmas

My youngest will be three in May-she kind of knows what is going on and has pointed to the map a few time, and knows we are going on a long journey on a big plane-so she is now happy about that.

He will make friends where ever he is and we have told him if there is any questions , no matter what is is to let us know and we will talk about it-there has been plenty already and we have told him as of when or what we do not use we have found on the internet.

I hope this helps and it will never be an easy thing to do,good luck it will be ok-

all the best

Andrew, Lisa, kids- Mason/Isabelle

Guest karyn1

Thanks

Bridget

Hi Bridget,

I have 2 children, eldest just turned 5, and youngest will be 3 in July. We just had our visa granted in March, so have been planning the move to Australia for a while! We have been quite open with the whole plan with both children from the start. I introduced books with Australia theme's and just encouraged them to learn more about the place and what adventures we will do when we get there!:D

My son (older of the two) seems to understand more than my daughter, but they both seem excited and look forward to the move. Good luck x

Guest Ric & Paula

We told our 2 youngest (3 and 7at that time),a couple of months prior to the medicals but told our older son a little before them.We took him to an expo in Liverpool,(he was 9 at the time),which had seminars especially for the children.Adults had to take a backseat as the children asked questions to migration experts.We found this worth the admission cost alone,as it was so reassuring for him.He saw lots of other kids in a similar situation,same or similar fears and queries and in turn we could use the experience as a family when preparing for the move,when talking to our younger girls.I guess it depends on the child and family,but we felt it helped to keep them involved and informed during the latter stages of the process,however telling them immediately would have felt like forever to my youngest especially.Something else I did as the move got nearer,was get Gaby a kangaroo,with a letter from it,saying it was from Australia and wanted to go back,could it go with her.So Kizzy got pride of place on the airplane!!Good luck I'm sure they'll be great x

We just talk about it openly to our son. He is 3 this month. Although he doesn't really understand or grasp the concept we talk about living in Aus, having a new house there, seeing the family and so on. We also show him all the photos from our trips over there and as he is in a fair few of them he can talk about the things he did.

In my experience most younger children really don't grasp the enormity of such a move anyway. To them its like moving to the next town or something.

I'd just be honest, show them pictures of Australian things like the wildlife, talk about it but don't overload them. We also have a few Aussie childrens books, a couple of Aussie picture card games and so on. Then later on, nearer the move involve them more in it all.

I told my kids right from the off Lauren is 9 now and Harvey is 3 and they have been involved all the way along. You will have to mention something soon because you have to take them for their medicals. My advise would be books, pictures and possible a programme of some sort showing them the country. Good luck i'm sure they will be fine with it x

Guest moonraker1959

Although we're the other way around,I discussed the move with my two daughters(then aged 9 & 11)of the move to England from the very start.For me personally,it was important that we discussed the move as a family.I would not have moved had my daughters objected.At the end of the day we all had to be happy,not just me.Of course my kids are older than yours.Not sure at 2 and 5 if your children will be able to take it all in.I guess if you don't tell them now,your other family members.friends might spill the beans accidently and you'll then have some explaining to do.If no one else knows,I would probably wait and tell them when its abit closer tbh.Even a month to a child seems like a long time.