457 help please

Guest benandkelly

Guest benandkelly

Can someone explain 457 visa in detail please.

I have read so much conflicting information that I am now totally confused.

Would be very graetful if someone could explain from start to finish.

Thanks in advance

Ben & Kelly

Guest mez10

I'm here on a 457 visa and this what happen with mine;

I had a telephone interview with the company, and they sent me a job offer.

Then they appointed a visa company who contacted me then sent all the paperwork for me to fill in.

I sent the paperwork and I had the medical.

A couple of months later they contacted me saying that I'd got the visa.

I arrange a start date with the company.

The visa last 4years, but after 2years you can apply for PR.

After the 4years the company must pay for your return to the UK (if you decide to leave)

They paid for everything i.e. flights, temp accom, visa etc but they have tied me for two years that I pay everything back if I leave the company.

I have friends in Sydney and they paid for everything then claimed it back when they got here.

Depends on the company.

Good luck

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

hi

you get no childcare benefit entitlement with this visa and you have tp pay more a lot of healthcare, its swings and roundabouts between the visa's. This visa is cheaper than most other visa's and its not necessarily fir 4 years, this depends on your age etc. This visa crippled me financially and my hubby wasn't entitled to apply for most jobs because of this visa. Think carefully.

Guest Mitchell

I'm on a 457 and like another poster I did an interview by telephone and skype then got an offer. It only took one week for the employer appointed agent to get the visa and I was on a plane 3 weeks later. I got visas flights temp accom, temp car hire and a whole container to ship my stuff all paid for. I'm not tied into my company for 2 years but I was employed by them already in the UK. Not sure what a previous poster was referring to about financial issues or not being able to get a job. I'm financially much better off than the UK. Obviously I have the job with the employer that sponsored me. You get reciprocal Medicare but need to top up to include things like ambulance cover. I get provided this by my employer until I get PR and can get normal cover. You qualify for PR after 2 years although I'm going for skilled migrant PR now so I feel more settled and can vote and things.

Guest benandkelly

Ok let me tell you our situation then,

I have 3 companies very interested in employing me.

I've had telephone interview with 1 company (from Perth) and had good long chat's via email with other 2 companies (both from Adelaide)

They're very very impressed with my cv and want to look at employing me.

One of the Adelaide companies in perticular is majorly interested as I have skills than are very limited worldwide (let alone in Oz) but these are not on any skills list. The owner of this company is coming to uk beginning of June and wants to meet me in London. He has never sponsored anyone and has no idea what to do/expect.

The other Adelaide company have sponsored plenty of people and are already regisitered for sponsorship. Again they want my skills as they are very limited.

The Perth company are in the same situation as the first company in that they've never sponsored anyone.

My issue at the moment is all 3 companies seem mega keen yet I havent heard anything for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Sorry for the long post but I'm a bit of a stress head!!

Guest hoops677

Hi, my oh currently has 2 possible job offers one in Adelaide and one in Melbourne.

The Melbourne job we heard nothing about for over a month and then have an e mail out of the blue stating that they had applied to become a company that sponsor overseas employees, where that came from we have no idea.

We are keeping our options open at the moment as neither company have given us any idea what they would be paying wages wise or in helping towards the move.

One thing that we have found is that neither company seems to be in any hurry or are just far too laid back so will have to learn to chill and accept that we have to wait for them.

Will chill out with a glass of wine, hope that it all works out for you

Jo

Guest benandkelly

Bloody hell.

Looks like I need to chill out too :-)

Can anyone advise on the process from start to finish. I'm looking for a detailed explaination if possible please guys.

Want to know what about what documents will be required, medicals, and so on. Basically I want to be as prepared as possible!

Guest Daisy Duke

I too am on a 457 visa. I had an interview in London and more or less got offered the job there and then. I got it through an agent who took care of everything. They pay my flight and money toward accomodation. Also, as far as I am aware they can help you apply for PR after 3 months, then you are not tied should you want to move. As far as i'm aware, I have to stay with them for 2 years and I would think if i got my PR during that time limit, I could in theory leave, but would have to pay back money for flights and acc, which you can understand.

The whole visa thing can be a mind field. My advice would be, just get the info you need or you will overload yourself and it will well and truly do your head in. Oh, the other thing is if you come on 457 you will have to take out private med insurance for the time you are on that visa. You do however pay less tax to balance it out - well thats what I've been told anyway. hope that helps and good luck.

Guest Mitchell

You can look the forms up and download them from the immigration site. Your employer (if not registered already) needs to apply to be a sponsor. You can put in the application for you to be the sponsee(real word?) at the same time I believe. They need to show they're a company in good standing and that they've tried to employ an Aussie and failed to fill the vacancy. Just need some references for you and you're done. No Medicals or any thing. I was advised to do a police check close to my leaving date to be prepared for PR but not needed for the 457. My employer was already registered and my app took 7 days to process and get the visa. I was on a plane 3 weeks later. It's really dead easy and very cheap.

Guest benandkelly

What references are required?

I've heard some people have to have medicals yet others dont, why is that?

Dont they carry out police check for 457? (I have a police caution)!

My prospective employers are NOT registered so would need to do that

Guest Mitchell
What references are required?

I've heard some people have to have medicals yet others dont, why is that?

Dont they carry out police check for 457? (I have a police caution)!

My prospective employers are NOT registered so would need to do that

It was just work references to cover me for 5 years. It's just to prove that you have the skills for the job you're being sponsored for. You don't need a medical unless they ask you to do one because of the way you answer the medical questions. I have asthma and gall stones but both under control and they were fine with that. If you have a caution I would do the police check so you can quote what it says exactly then add an explanation in the app. Just remember that this is for up to 4 years temp residence so the rules are less strict. Medicals and police checks are required when you apply after 2 years (or earlier) for PR.

Guest benandkelly
It was just work references to cover me for 5 years. It's just to prove that you have the skills for the job you're being sponsored for. You don't need a medical unless they ask you to do one because of the way you answer the medical questions. I have asthma and gall stones but both under control and they were fine with that. If you have a caution I would do the police check so you can quote what it says exactly then add an explanation in the app. Just remember that this is for up to 4 years temp residence so the rules are less strict. Medicals and police checks are required when you apply after 2 years (or earlier) for PR.

That could be a problem for me as a couple of the companies have gone bust.

BUT I am still in contact with my old bosses. Would they be able to provide references or do they need to be on company headed paper?

Guest Mitchell

Randomly I was in the exact same position!! If you have any old ref or appraisal from the bust company pull that out and send it. It can't hurt. I got my old director to write a letter (obviously not on headed) to say she was a director, the company doesn't exist now, then all the usual ref stuff like how long I worked there and what a genius I am. I helped her with my work dates as no records. Visa still granted in 7 days no worries.

Guest benandkelly

I've had several companies go bust on me.

Luckily I'm in contact with some of my old bosses still but what about the companies that went bust n I have no proof? Any ideas about that?

Guest Mitchell
I've had several companies go bust on me.

Luckily I'm in contact with some of my old bosses still but what about the companies that went bust n I have no proof? Any ideas about that?

I just had to do the last 2 companies including the one I was working for at the time I applied. I'm sure the visa agent just said cover the last 5 years. If you've got ones in that time frame I'd get references where you can for before that and any proof for the bust ones that you've got. I'd think employment contract, pay rise letters, pay slips would do it. I struggled as my current co at the time of applying won't do more than confirm dates (2.5 years) and job title and the one before (7 years) was bust. Before that I wasn't in IT. They still let me in!

Guest benandkelly

Do you have to get ref off current employer? cos if you do i'm in trouble. Theres no way they'll gimme a reference! company before will probably only confirm dates i worked there.