Where to go to validate?

Guest guest3462

Guest guest3462

Well, we were planning on validating our visa with a 5* trip to Bali, however due to the demise of OBL Bali has been placed out of bounds for travelling Aussies. We are tied to a budget of $6000 so cant go to the uk so where can we go? We need 2 weeks ideally to give diac enough time to process the finalities of the visa and the destination also needs to be suitable to take a 4 month baby!!! ( don't want much do I!!)

Thanks for all you help

Julia x

Go to Plantation Island Resort, Fiji. Have a look at http://www.travelonline.com for deals. It's so peaceful and beautiful there, you can get a beachfront bure and spend your days lounging in a hammock inches away from the water! It's not 5 stars, but it is very relaxing, and very reasonably priced, and the Fijians are such lovely people.

We went last April - have a look at http://www.tripadviser.com for reviews before you book anywhere as another place we stayed at in Fiji seems to have gone downhill quite a lot!

I am so jealous!

Diane

Malaysia, Thai Islands or how about Hawaii , there are usually specials on there, but flight is a tad long. Of course there is always good old Singapore. 4 month old babies can go pretty much anywhere. I went on the Orient Express at 6 weeks and got carted across Turkey, Saudi, Iraq and Iran before I was 6 months. Travelling with a 4 month should be easy, they are easily amused and stay put. :D

Guest Squareman

NZ would be the cheapest, I would imagine. It's where we will be going to validate (if all goes well) as we have mates there. You could do a fair amount with $6k but I also wouldn't rule out the UK. I have got a mate who works for a travel company and they are offering flights from Auckland to London for $1492 on Malaysian Air. The same specials may crop up here, you never know

Guest ems

Congrats on the visa at last. They've certainly made u work for it.

I just went to Auckland to validate. Think they advised me to be out the country for 7 days, I went for 5 days and think it was day 3 when I got the visa in my passport.

The main reason I choose Auckland was because it was cheap plus it has the Australian Embassy in the city so it was easy to get the visa stamp. Hope u all have a great time where ever u decide to go.

Guest Teresa01

Congratulations to you and your family Julia on obtaining your PR, your always very generous with your support and advice to others, so I am glad that its worked out for you!!

We went to New Zealand as a family to validate our visa and I can highly reccomed it, we flew into Auckland and it was a breeze to sort out the visa, we then we had a fantasic week between there and Rotorua. I think it cost us $2000-2500 plus spending money for four of us (Air NZ flights).

Or Malaysian have London Rtn for $1239 inc taxes at the moment (last minute.com.au) a fantastic offer!

Best wishes

Teresa

Guest guest3462

We are a little restricted in that 'rich's rota is done til july 2nd and we need to be back in oz by 6thsept. Also my parents are here mid august for 2 weeks. I think we are decided on Fiji, just waiting for Immi to let us know that is ok!

We are a little restricted in that 'rich's rota is done til july 2nd and we need to be back in oz by 6thsept. Also my parents are here mid august for 2 weeks. I think we are decided on Fiji, just waiting for Immi to let us know that is ok!

Hi Julia

I think Fiji is probably the most sensible option. There was a family on here about 18 months ago who said that they had obtained an all-inclusive holiday in Fiji for $5,000 AUD for 2 weeks for all 4 of them, which was amazingly good value, I thought.

If you go to NZ, the only DIAC office that deals with visas is in Auckland, I think. Auckland Harbour is said to be stunning and absolute magic for anyone who likes sailing, but that is not much cop if one's own hobby is golf!

The other thing to bear in mind is the travelling in the country concerned. For example, Malaysia is lovely (I was born and brought up there.) However I would not welcome a "holiday" spent on top of the Aussie Embassy in KL! The good beaches are many miles away from KL, which is pretty scruffy, hot and crowded in my opinion. Similarly, Phuket is miles away from Bangkok and Bangkok is like KL - hot, crowded and scruffy imho! You don't have to go to the Aussie Embassy every day but it is worth considering where it is in relation to where you want to holiday, I reckon.

I know some people who validated their visa via taking a holiday in Hong Kong. I think that would be a very interesting place to visit though I have never been there so I don't know whether I just have romantic ideas about HK rather than realistic ones!

Cheers

Gill

Fiji would get my vote too! It's stunning and so peaceful there. The people seem so contented, warm and friendly. Not wealthy in materialistic things, but always ready to smile and be hospitable.

I went there years ago and didn't want to leave the tranquility.

How fab to have a great excuse to "have to go there"!

Enjoy:-)

The only slight downside of Fiji is the lack of direct flights now from Adelaide - we were on one of the last of these last April just before they stopped them:sad:

The first time we went though, we went via Sydney and had an overnight stop at the Formule 1 hotel which is a short stroll away from the airport - think it cost something like $99 for the room (for four of us) for the night. You can also fly via Melbourne or Brisbane but check out the times of flights back because some poor people on one of our trips were having to leave the hotel (in Fiji) at 4am for the transfer back to the airport. If you're going out to one of the islands, again check out times of the last ferry transfers, as this seems to be something that highstreet travel agents might noty mention to you. Some of the island resorts offer deals where for instance you get a free night at a hotel near the airport when you first arrive, then can catch the first ferry out in the morning.

Guest guest3462

Thanks everyone. We are booked for the Niviti resort on ther Fiji mainland!! We have got an absolute bargain all inclusive 11 night package with flights and insurance for $6000! (in school hols too)

I emailed the embassy in Fiji and they send us details of exactly what we need to do which is pretty simple, just ring them when we arrive so they can set the ball rolling then check in by phone daily to see if they are ready to grant. Only one of us needs to go to get the passports stamped which saves us taking the little ones on another 2 hour journey which is great! I can't wait now,just think this is our equivelent of going to Tenerife lol!!!

When you are at the Naviti, if you stand facing out to sea from the resort and turn right and walk a short way, there is a much nicer - usually deserted - beach, with fantastic corals in only thigh deep water. Also, you can catch a free mini bus transfer to and from the Warwick which is the sister hotel for a change of scene every now and again. If you find a babysitter you are happy with at the resort to look after your little one while you do it, the waterfall walk is also absolutely wonderful.

Have a great time, I am soooo jealous!