it's so emotional eh

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

We're still hanging in there for our visa and are determined to move when we get it..but it's just so emotional leaving the folks behind.

I've had a few comments like "so..what you gonna do..wait till everyone dies and then you've got no ties anymore?"

also...

"lets just say..I wish I'd had more kids"...sigh...I'm an only child :-(

I just know it's going to rip my mum apart when it happens.

My hubbie has had the "I'll never see my grandkids again!"...not nice either.

I try and talk about how I see it as an opportunity for everyone and that they can all come over and holiday / visit for months on end (all are retired)..but it does seem to fall on deaf ears. I'm actually dreading asking my mother if she does actually intend coming over as I think she may well say she isn't :-( which would further stab my heart.

It does make me think I'm being incredibly selfish..but then again I also think that you shouldn't live your life through your kids..which is basically what I think my mother does with me. Jeezo..listen to me burble on..I'm 43..oo la la...far too sensitive :-)

thanks for listening.

Happy new year everyone

carol ann

Hi

Its really hard saying goodbye, but at the end of the day you have to do what is right fo you and your family. We were lucky in that although they didnt like it our parents supported our decision as they could not see much future for their grandchildren in the uk. I speak to my mum at least once a week on the phone and it does get easier.

Wendy

Guest rockpool crab
Hi

We were lucky in that although they didnt like it our parents supported our decision as they could not see much future for their grandchildren in the uk.

Wendy

Hi wendy..thanks for posting. I guess, in my mums defence, she has also said "I think the kids will flourish there"..which is true and compounds some of the reasons why we're making this leap.

We went on holiday there in July and had such a fab time. I know I'm gonna take up diving in the aquatic centre...every Sunday, $10 (covers insurance)..proper springboard diving..can't wait...although I was rrrrrrubbish at it..but it's just practice eh. We so enjoyed the sports side of it all. Even to see kids playing footie at night with floodlit parks..unheard of where we come from...council can't even put decent lighting in here.

It's still a tough move and will be painful..there's no doubt about it. I just hope that we can make a go of it. I am so scared in case it all goes pear shaped. We are leaving such good jobs and I'd hate to have a worse quality of life than I have here..but it's a gamble and one I'm still willing to take..he who dares wins eh :-)

See you in Adelaide one day :D

Carol Ann

Telling the folks you've got a date to go and actually saying goodbye are by far the hardest thing to do.

The only consolation I can send you is that it'll be worth it.

In time your parents will see that.

Hi Carol Ann, (same name as my sister)

I wont lie to you, It is very hard when you first get here, and you will probably find that monetry wise you will be worse of. We are. My husband has struggled to find work in his trade, He's a Chippie, and is currently working as a pest controller which is a tempory job until we can get a mortgage. Saying that I would not change a thing, the kids are loving it and I feel we have a better quality of life as a family. Money is'nt everything here(although it helps). As Nick11 says it is definatly worth it!

I am sure you Mum will come around.

Wendy

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann, (same name as my sister) - spooky!

I wont lie to you, It is very hard when you first get here, and you will probably find that monetry wise you will be worse of.

Wendy

I think I'm being realistic as looking at any wage comparison websites I'm sure I'm going to be earning less :-( I've started looking at businesses for sale..toying with that as an idea. Gosh I've got so many thoughts on it all I think my head is gonna burst...lol

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Guest graandjac

:wacko:This is nasty side to emigrating, we are lucky in that our familys (although very sad) are 100% behind our move and understand our reasons.

Youv'e hit the nail on the head when you say your being selfish ,we all are but you have to be . There comes a time when your family (Hubby and kids) become the most important things in your life and it is these people who you are looking after.

This is what I think we must all focus on improving OUR familys life, after all this is why we are all going.....I guess.....Cheers Graham Happy New Year Everyone

Guest lastboyscout

We`ve had a few snipey comments from members of the family like `You`ll never see your cousins again as Adelaide is too far away` said to our 2 kids, not directly to us mind you :realmad:

But the people who do say these comments only live a couple of miles away now and don`t visit , unless of course they want something :arghh:

So my answer is , think about your kids future, not the thoughts of everyone else, and money shouldn`t play a big part in your life, its not what you have that counts, its having your loved ones around you that does. We will be worse off after our move, no doubt about it, but I really do think my families lifestyle will improve without all the material things that we take for granted in this country.:jiggy:

We are really looking forward to it now, just wish they would hurry up and give us the nod:)

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to afford to explore the country. Flights to Sydney..Cairns..stuff like that. Not really that bothered about the material stuff to be honest. As you say..I'm sure the lifestyle will change... and ...the playstations etc will take a back seat (hopefully).

Yup..wish they'd hurry up and issue the bloomin visa :jiggy:

Carol Ann

Guest lastboyscout

Thats exactly what we are going to do too, explore Oz, but we`ll have the rest of our lives to do that as we don`t really intend on coming back here, except for visits :v_SPIN:

Guest rockpool crab
Thats exactly what we are going to do too, explore Oz, but we`ll have the rest of our lives to do that as we don`t really intend on coming back here, except for visits :v_SPIN:

I like that ;) "We'll have the rest of our lives to do that". I hadn't thought of it like that. So true.