should we go, or stay ?

Guest karenkeaney

Guest karenkeaney

we have been in perth for 2 and a half yrs now, we have not sold our uk house becouse of the housing market crash so are still in rented. Perth is SO expensive now we could no longer afford to buy here anyway, but the rents here are stupidly expensive, there are no jobs, for poms OR aussies, not for tradies anyway, everything in Perth is So much expensive than the rest of oz, maybe we feel like this as we have had more than our fair share of problems, our little girl nearly died after only being here for a few months, she is now brain damaged and classed cerebral palsy, we were seriously thinking of returning to the UK where we at least still have our own home,and family network, but our eldest daughter still in the UK is now starting the visa process to move to Adelaide, as is our other remaining son, so this has now thrown us, if we decide to move back to the uk they would also stay in the uk, but deep down we dont really WANT to go back to the depressing uk but is Adelaide any better than perth ? any advice or opinions from those who know, would be gratefully received as we really dont know what to do and need to make a decision before the kids shell out loads on visa,s.

Guest guest4504

Sorry to hear your bad luck. I know of 6 families leaving Perth that went during the past 3 years and all say its bad. You say that you have family network in the UK ? So they could be of a major support. You are asking info on whether or not to relocate to another part of Australia as Perth is not working out, However at the same time you seem to be generalising that all the UK is depressing. Perhaps look at what the UK could offer you and your family in other ways, Family network, move to another part of town / region so you are closer to family. From what I can remember Perth is so much different to Adelaide that you may find your place, however you may just be looking at the same grass from the other side of the field. The UK does have its problems like Perth also, people just dredge through. Hope you get your answers on here and all the best. D

Guest karenkeaney
Sorry to hear your bad luck. I know of 6 families leaving Perth that went during the past 3 years and all say its bad. You say that you have family network in the UK ? So they could be of a major support. You are asking info on whether or not to relocate to another part of Australia as Perth is not working out, However at the same time you seem to be generalising that all the UK is depressing. Perhaps look at what the UK could offer you and your family in other ways, Family network, move to another part of town / region so you are closer to family. From what I can remember Perth is so much different to Adelaide that you may find your place, however you may just be looking at the same grass from the other side of the field. The UK does have its problems like Perth also, people just dredge through. Hope you get your answers on here and all the best. D

i dont think we are looking at the grass being greener, we were v lucky where we lived in the uk, we were near b'th on the south coast. I have lived all over the UK and we def lived in one of the best places in the UK, i didn,t mean it to sound like we didn,t LIKE the UK, but with the housing crash and job shortages it is most definately depresssing, if we stay our 2 other children would move out giving us a bit more support but we dont want to make anouther mistake by moving to Adelaide if it is no better than Perth, is there much work for tradies, i have looked online and houses most definately look ALOT cheaper, help, we are going mad, round and round in circles, thanks for your reply though

Guest guest4504

You need to wait until responses come from those with lots of Adelaide experience to answer that. I was not intending to make you sound wrong, its all down to personal choice. I also have lived all over the UK, some may say that also but consider all over to be 3 or 4 counties. My thought where I live is one of the best places in the UK and its at the other end to yours. Again, everyone has their opinion.

2 of the 6 families I know started in Adelaide and both disliked it, one hated it to an extreme. He live in an area near Elizabeth and he claimed that Adelaide was the place all the left overs from making heaven and hell were placed and that Deliverence was filmed using the same locals ! Now this would cause a thing or two with folk on here. If both your children were to come out to Adelaide, how much help could they be ? Not trying to put down, its just that it is hard for everyone everywhere and people have to deal with their own lives also, again not saying anything to offend your family.

As to house prices, you could do well with the low sterling, and jobs can be hard all over. Someone on here may tell you that Adelaide is job rich, I dont know if that is true or not or you may be told that work is hard also. Just be prepared for a possibility of lots of opinions. I read an article last month that Adelaide has 30% less jobs than 12 months ago so that is my opinion from my read, as to house prices in Adelaide there is a thread on they may fall also.

To end this part, family could be more for the scales if you weigh it all up.

Guest Jadeyk

I'm the daughter here. I'm Looking at locating to Adelaide simply because myself and my OHs jobs are on for SS. The hardest thing we have ever been through is what happened to my little sister and not all being together through this difficult time. Me and my brother are really happy to move out, I think we will be ok as have highly demanded jobs but what will really sway it here is some information of the availability of trades jobs... Help people :-D xxx

Guest guest4504

Hi. Could help if you say what the jobs are. There are some on here that are high in demand but have problems getting foot in the door, or even getting interviews. D

Guest Cara&Gav
I'm the daughter here. I'm Looking at locating to Adelaide simply because myself and my OHs jobs are on for SS. The hardest thing we have ever been through is what happened to my little sister and not all being together through this difficult time. Me and my brother are really happy to move out, I think we will be ok as have highly demanded jobs but what will really sway it here is some information of the availability of trades jobs... Help people :-D xxx

Hi Karen & Jade,

Karen I expect Jade has mentioned me, we became good friends through Poms in Oz and I really feel for everything that has happened to you guys since you've been in Oz especially with your little girl. I think you are very brave and strong to get through what you have.

We are in the final stages of getting our visa's and in all honesty originally chose Adelaide as they would sponsor us. However, having looked into it i would definitely choose to go there now from everything I have heard. A lot of people have said that there is a lot of building work going on & there is a lot of growth in the area. It is definitely one of the most affordable, if not the most affordable cities in Oz. They say it a lot on the Oz programs as well as reading it on here. My husband Gavin is a plasterer and another plasterer messaged us asking if he was looking for work as his friend has his own business and is looking to employ a plasterer.

From what I have heard, the reasons people don't like Adelaide is the slower pace of life and that it is a little old fashioned & behind the times - however, this is why so many people love it! I guess it's either your scene or not. As we come from Worthing and are not keen on big cities like London (great for a day trip but not to live) we feel that this will suit us down to the ground.

I'm definitely being biased as we are going out there and of course are going to be looking at it positively and of course we would be thrilled if Jade & Brian move out there! We would also love to meet you guys and if it could be a happy ending with you all together it would be amazing.

The way I see it is perhaps if you really aren't sure you could give Australia one last chance so that if you do go back to the UK you won't have any what ifs, as I'm sure after that you will really know! I guess there is less to lose by trying Adelaide first and then moving to the UK rather than vice versa and coming back to the Uk and realising it was a mistake which has happened to some people. I know you don't want the kids to spend out anymore for nothing but i think that you've got to pursue the right path and let things just turn out the way they will. Maybe they could delay doing anymore to the visa process for a little bit, I believe that Jade has to wait for the next list to be released anyway. I truely believe that things work out in the end and sometimes we have to go a wierd path to get there!

Anyway, sorry for the ramblings and I haven't been there so can't offer much good advice but thought I would offer my opinion and my support.

Stay in touch and don't go through this alone, this forum is fantastic & there is a lot of support out there. I really hope people who live in Adelaide start posting with some info for you.

Cara xxxx

Guest Jadeyk
Hi. Could help if you say what the jobs are. There are some on here that are high in demand but have problems getting foot in the door, or even getting interviews. D

Lol he is a bricklayer but had his own building company in UK, employing 20men. A job in the building trade is what he needs.

Guest Jadeyk
Hi Karen & Jade,

Karen I expect Jade has mentioned me, we became good friends through Poms in Oz and I really feel for everything that has happened to you guys since you've been in Oz especially with your little girl. I think you are very brave and strong to get through what you have.

We are in the final stages of getting our visa's and in all honesty originally chose Adelaide as they would sponsor us. However, having looked into it i would definitely choose to go there now from everything I have heard. A lot of people have said that there is a lot of building work going on & there is a lot of growth in the area. It is definitely one of the most affordable, if not the most affordable cities in Oz. They say it a lot on the Oz programs as well as reading it on here. My husband Gavin is a plasterer and another plasterer messaged us asking if he was looking for work as his friend has his own business and is looking to employ a plasterer.

From what I have heard, the reasons people don't like Adelaide is the slower pace of life and that it is a little old fashioned & behind the times - however, this is why so many people love it! I guess it's either your scene or not. As we come from Worthing and are not keen on big cities like London (great for a day trip but not to live) we feel that this will suit us down to the ground.

I'm definitely being biased as we are going out there and of course are going to be looking at it positively and of course we would be thrilled if Jade & Brian move out there! We would also love to meet you guys and if it could be a happy ending with you all together it would be amazing.

The way I see it is perhaps if you really aren't sure you could give Australia one last chance so that if you do go back to the UK you won't have any what ifs, as I'm sure after that you will really know! I guess there is less to lose by trying Adelaide first and then moving to the UK rather than vice versa and coming back to the Uk and realising it was a mistake which has happened to some people. I know you don't want the kids to spend out anymore for nothing but i think that you've got to pursue the right path and let things just turn out the way they will. Maybe they could delay doing anymore to the visa process for a little bit, I believe that Jade has to wait for the next list to be released anyway. I truely believe that things work out in the end and sometimes we have to go a wierd path to get there!

Anyway, sorry for the ramblings and I haven't been there so can't offer much good advice but thought I would offer my opinion and my support.

Stay in touch and don't go through this alone, this forum is fantastic & there is a lot of support out there. I really hope people who live in Adelaide start posting with some info for you.

Cara xxxx

Thanks Cara! Call you tomorrow xxxx

Is Adelaide better than Perth? I don't know Perth well, but from what I've seen when I've been I'd say no. It's different (as I think it's different to the UK without being better ...) and while some people find jobs easily enough here in Adelaide, many people struggle to find work regardless of their occupation or how much it's in demand - a trawl through any migration discussion board provides plenty of examples. Building trades seem slow at the moment based on conversations I've had with friends who are in different trades, and as rebates and grants get removed/lowered, and interest rates rise, many are not predicting an early return to boom times.

As for it being cheaper, well, yes, median property prices are lower than Perth's but so are average wages, and SA is the highest taxing state. Property aside, I don't think there's much that's cheap here - food, booze, utilities etc all seem high.

I'd suggest a trip to Adelaide to give you a feel for the place before a decision is made, but if you've already got property in the UK and a support network there, I'd seriously consider making the move back.

PS sorry to heard about your daughter - good luck on that front.

Jim

I guess I'd recommend a visit to Adelaide first to get a feel for the place. We've been to Perth a couple of times as we have family there and I remember it feeling very, very different to Adelaide in many ways. It's bigger, more modern and felt more "hectic" but that's just my opinion having become accustomed to a more gentle way of life here in Adelaide. Would that affect your decision to come here rather than maybe Melbourne or Brisbane? I'd also suggest maybe trying to contact a couple of the major building firms in Adelaide to find out if they're hiring or not. Doesn't the building trade tend to slow right down in winter?

Good luck to you whatever you decide (and if you do decide to come here, pack your thermals!!!):swoon:

Guest Cara&Gav

Just bumping the post up to get some more advice. Although the posts are pretty negative on the work front I have spoken to people who say Adelaide has lots of building works going on. It's amazing how many conflicting stories you can get on the same place!

Is there anyone else living in Adelaide that can give some advice/knowledge - Tyke if you read this post can you offer any advice?

Thanks

Cara xx

Just bumping the post up to get some more advice. Although the posts are pretty negative on the work front I have spoken to people who say Adelaide has lots of building works going on. It's amazing how many conflicting stories you can get on the same placex

Hi Cara,

This might sound a little confrontational and I don't mean it to but the above statement kinda makes it sound as though you really want to come here and are hoping for someone to tell you what you want to hear?

It seems to me that we actually are suffering a fair bit here. Hours are being cut, budgets not met, a general paring down... I am no expert on the building trade but I do know that some of the mid-size projects that have been planned have niw been dropped because the money isn't there. If house prices are dropping, I would imagine that will impact on all the building that seems to be going on and things just seem to be getting worse. Ian Mc said it and I reckon he's been here long enough to know.

Living here, that affects us as much as it would anyone - a general tightening of the belt, concern mortgages are going to keep rising again, less confidence in job security etc but because this is our home we will have to ride it out. I would imagine that you, on the other hand, need to decide whether Australia is so important to you, you are prepared to pay out all that money to move state when you have no guarantees that the grass here is greener, or just grass (actually, being Adelaide it's more likely to be weed lol).

IMHO I would suggest you do as someone else suggested and come for a bit of a look. I suppose you will need to consider work for all your family, including the kids because being a job in demand does not necessarily mean that the job will be easy to find, pay the money you want, or even be in Adelaide - South Australia is a big place lol! I'm guessing that care and education for your youngest dsughter will be a priority too. Can SA offer what she will need and how hard will you have to fight for it? Neither do you have any guarantees that your son and daughter will love it here or even want to stay. I think it is awesome that your daughter wants to come here to be with you but is that enough? (see, I'm sounding rude again lol but I'm really just playing Devil's advocate).

This is our home and I would recommend it to anyone laid-back and determined to make a go of it so I'm not trying to put you off. That said, with a home and family still in the UK you have a fair few positives going for you there too.

I wish you all luck and hsppiness whatever you decide. I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl, that's beyond awful for you all. Mind you, it sounds like you have a wonderful family and that's the best luck ever.

:wubclub::wubclub: LC

Guest Cara&Gav
Hi Cara,

This might sound a little confrontational and I don't mean it to but the above statement kinda makes it sound as though you really want to come here and are hoping for someone to tell you what you want to hear?

It seems to me that we actually are suffering a fair bit here. Hours are being cut, budgets not met, a general paring down... I am no expert on the building trade but I do know that some of the mid-size projects that have been planned have niw been dropped because the money isn't there. If house prices are dropping, I would imagine that will impact on all the building that seems to be going on and things just seem to be getting worse. Ian Mc said it and I reckon he's been here long enough to know.

Living here, that affects us as much as it would anyone - a general tightening of the belt, concern mortgages are going to keep rising again, less confidence in job security etc but because this is our home we will have to ride it out. I would imagine that you, on the other hand, need to decide whether Australia is so important to you, you are prepared to pay out all that money to move state when you have no guarantees that the grass here is greener, or just grass (actually, being Adelaide it's more likely to be weed lol).

IMHO I would suggest you do as someone else suggested and come for a bit of a look. I suppose you will need to consider work for all your family, including the kids because being a job in demand does not necessarily mean that the job will be easy to find, pay the money you want, or even be in Adelaide - South Australia is a big place lol! I'm guessing that care and education for your youngest dsughter will be a priority too. Can SA offer what she will need and how hard will you have to fight for it? Neither do you have any guarantees that your son and daughter will love it here or even want to stay. I think it is awesome that your daughter wants to come here to be with you but is that enough? (see, I'm sounding rude again lol but I'm really just playing Devil's advocate).

This is our home and I would recommend it to anyone laid-back and determined to make a go of it so I'm not trying to put you off. That said, with a home and family still in the UK you have a fair few positives going for you there too.

I wish you all luck and hsppiness whatever you decide. I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl, that's beyond awful for you all. Mind you, it sounds like you have a wonderful family and that's the best luck ever.

:wubclub::wubclub: LC

Hi,

Thanks for your response but I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding here! I am not the one that started the post, it is my friends mum (the daughter that wants to move to adelaide). I got involved in this post as I want to help them out & I really only posted the last one to try to bump it up. I genuinely until now have only heard good stuff about work in Adelaide so the replies on this thread are news to me so I just wanted to get more views.

We are definitely coming, we are a young married couple, are renting our flat out & have nothing to lose so are very much looking forward to the adventure. We are fully aware that we will probably have hard times like we have done here at times and are ready to take the rough with the smooth. The reason we are moving is because we can't wait to explore this amazing country and enjoy the more outdoors way of life.

Cara

Guest Guest75
Lol sorry Cara! It's because I'm old and didn't think to check the names on the first post :goofy:. Never mind hey :cute:

Good luck on your move. Have fun!

LC

Glad you admit it........

Memory shot.

Drinking too much.

It will be loss of bladder control next - as your hub stated and received an infraction for ( I still laugh at that!):biglaugh:

You definitely need to visit first. Why not book a flight and a couple of weeks in a backpacker place for your OH to come over, have a look around, have a chat with employers and builders here, have a chat with medical people here about care for your daughter, and then try and make an informed choice if Adelaide can offer you what you want/need?

Adelaide is very much a face-to-face place - employers etc often won't reply to email contacts, but if you're there in front of them they will give you an honest answer.

For something as life-changing as this, two weeks out of your life would be a valuable investment I think, before you make any firm decisions one way or another.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Jadeyk

Thanks for all they replies guys. Another member on another thread of mine showed the simple fact that a little search on seek.com showed far more jobs are listed for Victoria that any other state for bricklayer. By far. Might be worth considering.

Im sure my mum will be weighing all these posts up. She doesnt get a lot of time to come on here with my little sister to look after but I will keep her up to date with what everyone is saying.

They dont want to give up on their dream but in reality it has so far been a total nightmare!

Guest Cara&Gav
Thanks for all they replies guys. Another member on another thread of mine showed the simple fact that a little search on seek.com showed far more jobs are listed for Victoria that any other state for bricklayer. By far. Might be worth considering.

Im sure my mum will be weighing all these posts up. She doesnt get a lot of time to come on here with my little sister to look after but I will keep her up to date with what everyone is saying.

They dont want to give up on their dream but in reality it has so far been a total nightmare!

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the update, perhaps Victoria is the way to go for your family if that's where the work is - maybe we'll all end up there lol Hope you're all OK, speak to you soon xx

Guest karenkeaney

thanks to all off you that took the time to give their advice, we have decided...... we,re not going to decide untill we know the kids both get their visa,s, i,m sure they both will as they both have the right skills, in the mean time we are going to keep researching Adelaide and Victoria, as i,m sure everyone who has been here a while knows that everything here can change so quickly, so we will just wait and see, if jade gets to Adelaide and we go visiting and decide we like it we can move then, no-one can say we haven,t given it everthing to stay here, we do like it (apart from missing my dad and my kids) and had to work very hard to get and stay here, i think it,s because we are still in rented, and seems arse backwards that we have a lovely big home in the UK but here we are paying someone else,s morgage, OWNING yr house doesn't have to be the top needs, but it doesn,t feel like my own home, we cant just take off to Adelaide because of maddie, and we have a 13 yr old, although he could stay with our freinds here but not sure how maddie would take all the coming and going, so roll on jade and stuart with your visa,s and then WE can look at our options, also when Cara gets there they will hopefully be able to hive us an informed run down on what the jobs and employement is really like there, so again, many thanks to you all, as i said we would still be very interested in other posters opinions

k

Guest m.jephcott

If you don't already have citzinship, that would be worth staying for as well. Hang in there with the renting hopefully if you decide to stay longer term you will be able to sell your UK home at a good price and the exchange rate will hopefully be in your favour ( we hope).