Thinking of retraining ?????????????

Guest jasongd

Guest jasongd

Hi,

I was in Telecoms for years and in the last 5 years I have been in sales,

I am thinking of retraning but not sure what would be best for Australia?

Crane operator, Business Degree, Plumber, Electrician, Back into Telecoms.

What would be best for the Australian workplace, ???

Any help would be great

Thanks Jason

Good plan, but if you are to be the visa applicant, don't forget you also need experience...

Either way, by looking at the latest list, you can see which skills are still in demand. Could be a good place to start. You could also check out some agency websites to see what jobs are being advertised..

Good luck!

Rachael x

Hi,

I was in Telecoms for years and in the last 5 years I have been in sales,

I am thinking of retraning but not sure what would be best for Australia?

Crane operator, Business Degree, Plumber, Electrician, Back into Telecoms.

What would be best for the Australian workplace, ???

Any help would be great

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason

How old are you, please?

In terms of what might be the most use to Australia, have you heard about the major Broadband project?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/broadband/national_broadband_network

http://www.nbn.gov.au/

Currently, broadband in most other countries works faster than it does in Australia. To provide the whole of Australia with supa-fast broadband will involve laying new fibre optic cable, I think.

The idea is that the supa-fast broadband will turn the whole of Australia into some sort of information super highway, I guess, and the Government seems to think that people like farmers in the remote Outback will be queuing up to get their properties connected to it.

The last I heard was about 6 months ago. At the time, the Aussie Government had pledged $43 billion AUD to the project and they had declared that the remote parts of Oz are to get the super fast broadband before anywhere else gets it. The whole thing is very much Julia Gillard's personal brainchild so I assume that it will go ahead in the way that has been planned.

The critics of the project say that the Government's ideas about it are daft. It will cost a fortune to lay the new fibre optics in the remote areas, which are very sparsely populated because of their remoteness. There will be a charge to connect up Farmer Bloggs' cattle station or whatever and according to the critics, Farmer Bloggs is unlikely to be interested in having the super fast broadband service if it will cost him too much for the connection. The critics say that if this thing is offered to the people in the densely-populated areas first, more of them are likely to buy it so it should start to recoup some of its capital costs sooner if they do it that way around and they say they can't understand why the Govt wants to offer it to the remote places first.

(I can - it's called Propaganda and the Dissemination Thereof! Many of the Aboriginal settlements are in remote areas. If they can be persuaded to invest in the Broadband, Joolya can start telling them how much she lurves them, I expect. Joolya is a solicitor. She's very good at that but there's no evidence that she knows anything about Broadband!)

Anyhow, apparently they will need THOUSANDS of workers to lay all the fibre optic cables and thousands of telecoms engineers to supervise the whole thing. Australia does not have anything like enough suitable workers for any part of the project. I've read that Oz is short of about 25,000 of the relevant workers and engineers and I've read that fibre optics are dangerous if you don't know what you are doing with them.

I know that my Broadband at home works through my landline phone line but I don't know anything about how it works beyond that.

Is the Aussie broadband project something that would be relevant to the work experience that you already have? If yes then it might pay you to build on that pre-existing experience?

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm#t

First, please consult the ASRI list above. Australia only wants Telecoms experts to migrate to Oz because they don't have enough of their own. I don't know anything about it but anything you might decide to do has to comply with the description of the occupation in the ANZSCO Code:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~2006~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3424+Telecommunications+Trades+Workers

A Telecoms Linesworker does what it says in the link above, to give you an example about how ANZSCO works.

It takes 4 years to become an Electrician in Oz. (My 17 year old nephew wants to become one. He's still at school at the moment and works for an Electrician in Perth for one day a week at present but I imagine there might be more hands-on work experience for him once he leaves school and goes to college.)

I hope this is of some use, but I am aware that Broadband and Telecoms might not be as close as I imagine them to be. I'm guessing about the degree of connection between the two occupations.

Cheers

Gill

Guest jasongd

Hi,

Great reply,

You are spot on about the Broadband rollout my Brother in law has went over on 457 to work NBN in Kiama and is thinking of moving to Sydney.

I have an City and Guilds in Fibre Optics and have worked as a Splicer in the past and my brother is also a Splicer and has a job offer in Perh with Downer as a Fiber Optic Splicer.

I was wanting to get away from Telecoms as the last time I was in Australia I worked in Telecoms and had my ACA Licence but back in 2001 there was not a lot of work for Telecoms Engineers, maybe that has changed.

Thanks for your help and I am going to read all the links again.

Jason