No option until July 2012?!?

Guest karenbonnar

Guest karenbonnar

Hi

Was just on the DIAC website and saw their notice on the proposed skilled migration selection model.

As far as I can see State sponsorship is going out the window. Anyone who wants to apply will have to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the DIAC and then wait, with crossed fingers, to find out if they are invited to apply for a visa.

On top of this bombshell it doesn't come into effect until July 2012. There is no mention of the new points system for July 2011 that was in a previous notice.

Does anyone know what is happening in July 2011? Is the state sponsorship going to reopen? Will those of us who haven't applied yet or missed the quotas be able to apply for sponsorships and visas between July 2011 and July 2012?

I am totally confused and getting really peed off. :realmad:

Thanks

Karen

Guest helene73

Hi Karen I have read this too, my agent said these are just proposals and nothing is set in stone regarding the July changes, we all just have to wait and see :( she also said she will know what is going on in June and will email all her clients as soon as she knows the final changes. Dont worry it will all work out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest vicky_1970

I emailed SA to try and find out when they are going to reopen the applications process. From what I've been told it will be July and they will post the info at that time on the website. I presume the "new" system talked about on the DIAC website is yet another change for even further down the line.

Vicky

Guest karenbonnar

Thanks for the replies. I found a post on poms in oz with lots of speculation but I guess nobody really knows until the DIAC decide what they are doing. I hope it isn't game over for us, we have age on our side but won't score very highly on the new points system.

My hubby wasn't shocked at all, I think he has given up the idea of us ever getting there. We are not using an agent so I guess I will just have to keep checking the websites for changes.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Becster19

I spoke to my agent yesterday and she seems to think the skills list will probably stay the same this July where is was only introduced in January. The new points should be in July 11 but they have apparently not been signed off by the government yet so there may be a delay. My agent said they are very unlikely to open back up on the old points though and will delay until the new points are passed.

The new system for 2012 is a separate thing to be introduced much further down the line and follows the New Zealand style. They also have EOI and its a lot more straight forward that the information online makes it seem. You can only put at EOI if you meet certain points and its not all that different to what is in place now.

Keep your chin up. It will happen

Guest moviemummy
Thanks for the replies. I found a post on poms in oz with lots of speculation but I guess nobody really knows until the DIAC decide what they are doing. I hope it isn't game over for us, we have age on our side but won't score very highly on the new points system.

My hubby wasn't shocked at all, I think he has given up the idea of us ever getting there. We are not using an agent so I guess I will just have to keep checking the websites for changes.

Karen

Hi Karen

I know this will be cold comfort but for some of us this whole process has taken years. For us it has been 3.

We got caught up in changes last time. It is very frustrating.

The best advice we got was always from our agent and to be honest if we had not used them I don't think I would have a visa now.

Our agents were Overseas Immigration Visas in Edinburgh. They were always so patient and never gave us bad advice.

Keep your focus on what you want your end goal to look like. Don't lose faith. We never did although there were a few dark moments, well more than a few!!! ;)

Keep smiling

Cheers

Laura x

Guest Adelaide_bound

I spoke to DIAC today at a gov run event, with representatives from lots of the States and DIAC (alongside some recruiters). DIAC told me that 100% certain, will definitely , no way it won't happen, on July 1st the new points system will be coming in - I asked three different reps on the stand just to check lol. They also told me there wouldn't be a new SOL.

SA SS will reopen either on 1st July at the very latest, perhaps a day or two early according to SA state reps. They also told me that if any jobs are taken off the list it will be at most under ten (and the girl seemed to think it would only be one or two if any at all realistically).

It is likely this will all be the case until Jan 2012. It is up in the air whether they close applications at DIAC then, ready to open then in July 2012 for the new EoI scheme, or whether they close them in June 2012, to start in July 2012 with the new system - I guess they will come out with more info on this once they have the July 2011 changes out of the way....

The July 2012 changes won't make a huge amount of difference, if anything it will make things pretty much better, as you won't be in the position where you pay big money out to get the visa and then get declined - you will get SS first, like now, then make an Expression of Interest (EoI) which will tot up your points, and if you meet the level they set (depending on exactly how the work it - in NZ its on a monthly ish basis) they invite all those people to actually lodge the full and proper visa application including the fee only then. And then it goes through a bit quicker and you get the visa.

In NZ, if you meet the recommended point score and all the other bits and pieces, you get invited very quickly (in my experience), so if you are languishing in the EoI pool for ages you pretty much would not be accepted to apply for (ie get) a visa anyway - but at least you haven't spent a couple of grand on being told this. Personally, I think its a much better system, you only spend the big buck when you actually get the visa, not spend all that money just to be told you aren't going to get a visa....

Guest helene73
I spoke to DIAC today at a gov run event, with representatives from lots of the States and DIAC (alongside some recruiters). DIAC told me that 100% certain, will definitely , no way it won't happen, on July 1st the new points system will be coming in - I asked three different reps on the stand just to check lol. They also told me there wouldn't be a new SOL.

SA SS will reopen either on 1st July at the very latest, perhaps a day or two early according to SA state reps. They also told me that if any jobs are taken off the list it will be at most under ten (and the girl seemed to think it would only be one or two if any at all realistically).

It is likely this will all be the case until Jan 2012. It is up in the air whether they close applications at DIAC then, ready to open then in July 2012 for the new EoI scheme, or whether they close them in June 2012, to start in July 2012 with the new system - I guess they will come out with more info on this once they have the July 2011 changes out of the way....

The July 2012 changes won't make a huge amount of difference, if anything it will make things pretty much better, as you won't be in the position where you pay big money out to get the visa and then get declined - you will get SS first, like now, then make an Expression of Interest (EoI) which will tot up your points, and if you meet the level they set (depending on exactly how the work it - in NZ its on a monthly ish basis) they invite all those people to actually lodge the full and proper visa application including the fee only then. And then it goes through a bit quicker and you get the visa.

In NZ, if you meet the recommended point score and all the other bits and pieces, you get invited very quickly (in my experience), so if you are languishing in the EoI pool for ages you pretty much would not be accepted to apply for (ie get) a visa anyway - but at least you haven't spent a couple of grand on being told this. Personally, I think its a much better system, you only spend the big buck when you actually get the visa, not spend all that money just to be told you aren't going to get a visa....

Thank you sooooooo much for finding out that information and sharing with us all appreciate it tons :)

It has certainly put my mind at ease.

Roll on July I am ready for round 2 lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Guest vicky_1970

Me too Helene73 !! I am so excited - can't wait til 1st July - it seems like ages since SA shut the application process down !!

I would agree - thnakyou so much for passing this info on - I didn't know about the thing in Brum - I live in the Midlands so prob would have gone - so you saved me a big job !!

Vicky

Guest Adelaide_bound

I would agree - thnakyou so much for passing this info on - I didn't know about the thing in Brum - I live in the Midlands so prob would have gone - so you saved me a big job !!

Vicky

It was an invite only event - but its run by the states themselves, rather than one you have to pay for, so only being about 20 mins down the road we had nothing to loose by taking up our invite.

I found out about it on the DIAC website:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skillexpos/

http://www.immi.gov.au/skillexpos/migration-open-days.htm

http://www.australianstates.co.uk/

Hope that helps if they have more in future (probably will I would have thought :D)

Hi there

I've heard that there won't be any more significant changes until July 2012 apart from the introduction of the new Points Test at some stage.

On 1st July 2012, DIAC will move to the Expressions of Interest system that you have described. Apparently they intend to collect EoIs between July 2012 and January 2013 and then they will invite people to apply for visas from Jan 2013 onwards.

The process of obtaining a skilled GSM visa will then become much quicker because the staff won't have huge backlogs of applications to deal with.

Also, the new system will prevent any more fiascos of the type that led to DIAC's ill-considered decision to use S39 of the Migration Act to Cap & Terminate all the GSM applications that were made prior to 1st September 2007 but had not been processed by May 2010. The people whose applications have been arbitrarily kicked out have been offered a full refund of the fees they paid to DIAC. However DIAC have refused to pay any interest on the money. They have also refused to give any refunds for the fees wasted on skills assessments, medicals, migration agents etc. DIAC say that they can't refund money that was not paid to themselves.

This purported use of S39 is now the subject of litigation. A well known solicitor called Chris Levingston has instituted formal legal proceedings on behalf of at least one of the affected applicants. Apparently it is not allowed to be a Class action with lots of different Plaintiffs but if CL's client wins, it will open the floodgates to claims for compo from all of the others. The litigation will also be very expensive because there will be appeals and counter appeals.

The Aussie Government's international reputation for fair dinkum has (deservedly, in my view) taken a heck of a hammering over the s39 thing.

In May 2010, the then Minister for Immi suddenly introduced the Cap & Kill Bill 2010, trying to grab absolutely draconian powers for himself. That idea was kicked out by the Senate.

I think that the EoI idea is much simpler and more elegant. I think it will work well.

Cheers

Gill

Guest karenbonnar

Thanks so much Adelaide_bound and Gollywobbler. I have been checking the DIAC website for any updates but nothing so far so it is great to hear that the process should open again in July.

Can I ask your advice on something. My hubby needs his IELTS for the new points system to make up his points. He didn't need it for the SA sponsorship application before due to his job requiring a 6.5 and him being a UK national. Do you think he will need to sit it before his sponsorship application in July as I think it says in the SA sponsorship you should meet the point requirements of the visa? I am thinking that he will.

Thanks

Karen

Guest Adelaide_bound

If he doesn't need it for the SA SS he won't need it before he applies for the SS, however obviously he will need it for when that comes back (apparently 4-8 weeks according to SA reps) to apply for the actual visa. I think SA SS just mean to make sure you are eligible to apply for the visa as otherwise you are wasting everyone's time getting SS as it were, if you are a British National getting the IELTS isn't the hardest thing on earth, unlike (for eg) if you needed a positive Skills assessment, and you hadn't had that back, as its not unheard for people to think that will all be ok, but it actually comes back and they haven't passed the skills assessment for their nominated occupation and are a bit scuppered then.

Best to get it out of the way asap though imho in case it all goes a bit wrong and has to eb remarked/resat and they can get booked up as well. Good luck for it all :)

Guest Fran x

hi there,

its great to see your information, i too have booked my ielts for the end of the month and im swatting like mad, i have been looking for as much info as possible for changes ect.. and i get no were sometimes, we applied in april for sa ss and was refused as im a hairdresser and they met the quota a week before our refusal, we were gutted like so many others in the same boat. then we read about the point system changing hence the ielts, the thing that im not a 100 percent sure of is will hairdressing open up again in july when they start accepting applications again?? is this a daft question do you know if they will open all occupations up again?? does any one know?like everyone else im stressing just wanting to know were we stand we dont seem to get much info of our agent x

Guest Adelaide_bound
hi there,

its great to see your information, i too have booked my ielts for the end of the month and im swatting like mad, i have been looking for as much info as possible for changes ect.. and i get no were sometimes, we applied in april for sa ss and was refused as im a hairdresser and they met the quota a week before our refusal, we were gutted like so many others in the same boat. then we read about the point system changing hence the ielts, the thing that im not a 100 percent sure of is will hairdressing open up again in july when they start accepting applications again?? is this a daft question do you know if they will open all occupations up again?? does any one know?like everyone else im stressing just wanting to know were we stand we dont seem to get much info of our agent x

Hi Fran,

yes hairdressing (along with everything else that has met its quota) will be reset from July when they reopen SS - unless you are very very unlucky and it gets taken off the SMP, but the woman I spoke to seemed to think this wouldn't actually happen, and if it did it really would only be one or two professions that went AT MOST, so you would have to be desperately unlucky (I really think she only said that because she had been told to, it sounded far more like nothing will be coming off tbh).

Sorry - small rant about agents, a few have been really winding me up recently - surely you are bloody well paying them to tell you this! IMHO I would phone them up and remind them you are paying them for this! Sorry - good luck with everything :)

Guest Fran x

thats good to hear thank you, i feel the same regarding our agent we are always trying to do our own research!!!

roll on july hopefully things will start moving again. thanks again feel alot better.

fran x