SS for one state, but job offer in another?

Guest boesman

Guest boesman

Hi, we got state sponsorship for SA and can't wait to live in Adelaide, but now we might get a job offer in Perth. Really we do not want to go to Perth, but as my hubby is a trady and it can take so long to find work and build up a name we are really struggling to decide what to do should such an offer come up. We are going with a very tight budget so even more pressure. I almost wish we don't get this job offer as we do not want to be tempted to go to Perth. In fact, I don't think we will, but what are the thoughts of others? Also, I know this whole moral story about staying in the state that sponsors you and I TOTALLY agree, so that is another point for refusing a job offer somewhere else.

Guest Opportunities

Lindie,

Like you say, you are meant to go to the state where you have received the sponsorship from. I stand to be corrected though.

I have also read of a family that tried to go to a different state than the sponsored state and they were crushed, as they were deported on the spot!

I know that one would prefer to go over with a job offer, with lots of finances as a back-up, but is it really worth it, losing your visa over?

Good luck.

I hope others can also give their input to your situation.

Karen

x

Guest boesman

We slept soundly last night after deciding that we will defo go to Adelaide even if we have to end up living in a tent. I do not want to go to Perth at all. So, please everybody, ignore this post (must be stress and pms that bring up such daft considerations).

Cheers

Guest johnboy

hi there , im johnboy

i hope this information helps but we ,that is myself my wife and two children came on a state sponsership but the state was victoria , which was great . but the cost of living there was far to high so we opted 4 our original choice of sa i made countless phone calls 2 the australian imigration and although we had a moral obligation to go to vic there was no legal reason why we could not go to sa , so here we r one year on and loving every second . sa is a wonderful state and although work at the mo is slow ,its slow everywhere but it will pick up .

my advice to u is do your home work but ur family comes first ,but u cant go wrong with sa .

all the best

Guest Opportunities
Really? Can you point me to where you read that?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

I read this on one of the South African Forums for migration to Oz way back in Sept.2010 when we started thinking about migration. I recall trying to read as much responses as I could to be aware of the do's and dont's of others and to learn from others' experiences, to try and avoid any possible struggles along the way.

On the other hand, like one of the members on here said, it can be done. If you are in a similar situation wanting to go to a different state, consult a migration lawyer to get peace of mind.

Good luck!

Karen

Guest johnboy

hi jim

i did not read this , as i said i was in contact all the way with imigration and used there advice ,its the only way

thanks johnboy

Guest WhatNow?
hi there , im johnboy

i hope this information helps but we ,that is myself my wife and two children came on a state sponsership but the state was victoria , which was great . but the cost of living there was far to high so we opted 4 our original choice of sa i made countless phone calls 2 the australian imigration and although we had a moral obligation to go to vic there was no legal reason why we could not go to sa , so here we r one year on and loving every second . sa is a wonderful state and although work at the mo is slow ,its slow everywhere but it will pick up .

my advice to u is do your home work but ur family comes first ,but u cant go wrong with sa .

all the best

Thank you for that voice of reason johnboy. What you say is exactly what we were told to pass on to one of our clients by ImmiSA. The main thing is that they know what is going on BEFORE you arrive and that you keep in touch with BOTH Immigration departments as things progress. The states can not be seen to be 'poaching' each other's migrants but they understand that things don't always go as planned and will help you if you deal honestly with them. As johnboy says, the obigation is a moral one and provided you are upfront and honest with them it will not be held against you. If they think you are trying to deceive them then you will may find yourself dealt with differently.

Jim,

I read this on one of the South African Forums for migration to Oz way back in Sept.2010 when we started thinking about migration. I recall trying to read as much responses as I could to be aware of the do's and dont's of others and to learn from others' experiences, to try and avoid any possible struggles along the way.

On the other hand, like one of the members on here said, it can be done. If you are in a similar situation wanting to go to a different state, consult a migration lawyer to get peace of mind.

Good luck!

Karen

No, I'm not in that position, just interested in the specifics if they can be found. There are always 'I know someone who once knew someone who got told that this happened ...' type of stories but it can be hard to get to the facts. Others who have faced this dilemma - and there are plenty of threads about this subject on this and other discussion boards - seem to settle on the 'ah, it turned out it was just a moral obligation, not a legal one', stance. I'd be very interested to read of a first-hand experience of someone being 'deported on the spot' for moving states in the way you mentioned.

Thanks, Jim