Department of Immigration - Proof of funds...

Guest harrison2604

Guest harrison2604

Hi all,

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Right.

On arrival to Adelaide, I have to have proof of funds (A$5000)...

Now then, what I want to know is how should I show my proof of funds?

I'm struggling to get hold of the Immigration dept of Aus so I thought I'd post up on here with the hope of finding somebody who has been through this...

My Questions...

Can I just use a bank statement from my UK bank HSBC?

Does the statement have to be in Aus dollars?

Or do I need to put it in my not yet verified account with NAB in Aus?

Will I need to take the statement with me on my flight or will I be able to do it when I land?

Do they look into my account to see that the money is actually there and not just been put in, in order to print a bank statement? (I'm not doing this, I'm just curious to know if they're going to be looking into my credit history and such)

Thanks! :)

Guest guest7008

So, they be waiting at the airport for you when you land??? Waiting to see you after a 23 hour flight?? To check you have money??? Somehow I really don't think so!!!!

Guest harrison2604

It depends on what visa you're going over with I guess. I'm not migrating which is why I thought I may have posted it in the wrong place... I'm going with a 12 month working holiday visa and it states to show proof of funds, at least A$5000.

Thanks for the advice.

What sort of questions do they ask in the interview?

I hope they don't send me back straight after landing!

I have a job lined up and with the job invitation printed off, family living in Adelaide and Perth and just over A$5000 in the bank, but I'm traveling on a one way ticket and I've heard they don't like it!?

I also have a professional skilled trade which is on the list of trades that they want in the country! I'm a qualified Arborist

Cheers

Guest Becster19

I have been to Australia on a WH visa in 2007 and there was no interview and no one checked my proof of funds. They just need you to essentially show that you have enough money to leave the country at the end of the 12 months. My proof of funds was just a credit card with a limit big enough to cover the $5000 so if they checked or asked for it, I would have it, but no one ever did. Do not worry, immigration do not waste their time checking everyone who has WH visas, they would be there for eternity!!

Guest Adelaide_bound

I'm guessing this is the WHV (Working Holiday Visa) - 417? (As you need $5K for that one)

The offical line is:

"You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia."

I was never asked when I went to NZ on a WHV, and got rather upset as I was really pleased I had all this evidence I'd saved up etc lol, and from what I hear from other people no-one I know has ever been checked (I think they put this to a) dissuade people from not having sufficient funds and b) so they can if they think you're pulling a fast one or are entering on a 417 but plan on staying for longer/working for longer etc).

But at any rate, a certified copy of a bank statement (or a colour original from the bank) - either in AUSD or UK £ will be fine - UK £ to about 5K, use a rough exchange rate when you are going to work out how much that should be in pounds, they will know roughly how much it should be, it doesn't have to be dollars, as you can withdraw from a UK pound account in dollars from any ATM in Aus, so that's not a problem, along with your return ticket home, no worries, not a problem, bobs your uncle.

Have fun and enjoy :)

Guest Adelaide_bound
I have been to Australia on a WH visa in 2007 and there was no interview and no one checked my proof of funds. They just need you to essentially show that you have enough money to leave the country at the end of the 12 months. My proof of funds was just a credit card with a limit big enough to cover the $5000 so if they checked or asked for it, I would have it, but no one ever did. Do not worry, immigration do not waste their time checking everyone who has WH visas, they would be there for eternity!!

Exactly! :D

Guest harrison2604

It's very worring! I have saved up stuff to prove that I'm not going to be bumming around the streets... the job invitation I forced the bloke to send me, proof that I have family in the country and I've been selling absolutely everything to get enough money to satisfy the 'mean immi people'! I'm only 21! Ha.

To be turned straight back around for not having enough money after a 24 hour flight would be the worst thing ever to happen in my life.

I keep hearing stories that the Australian Immigration Department are very strict and tough people so here I am cr**ping myself trying to raise about 6k in 3 months which is hard for me... being a self employed 21 year old!

It's the whole one way ticket thing I'm worried about.

Guest Adelaide_bound
It's very worring! I have saved up stuff to prove that I'm not going to be bumming around the streets... the job invitation I forced the bloke to send me, proof that I have family in the country and I've been selling absolutely everything to get enough money to satisfy the 'mean immi people'! I'm only 21! Ha.

To be turned straight back around for not having enough money after a 24 hour flight would be the worst thing ever to happen in my life.

I keep hearing stories that the Australian Immigration Department are very strict and tough people so here I am cr**ping myself trying to raise about 6k in 3 months which is hard for me... being a self employed 21 year old!

It's the whole one way ticket thing I'm worried about.

You'll be fine - if you only have a one way ticket, but had nothing else its not the best thing, but not the end of the world, the fact you have a load of money, family to stay with AND a job offer means a) they probably won't even look at them (the law of s*d) and b) even if they do you will just breeze through.

Seriously don't stress (although I was the same with all my bits and pieces - hence the being annoyed they didn't even care lol).

In fact, getting OUT of the country was a hell of a lot harder than getting in....(and yes, I know NZ is a completely and utterly different country, but they both have a WHV programme for Brits that works very similarly etc etc etc...)

Guest Becster19

I would say 99% of people doing Working Holidays do not have a return ticket. You are there to travel and have fun and how do you know in a year where you will be and therefore want to fly from. I ended up flying on to NZ so good job I didn't have a return. They just want to see you have the funds for the ticket so they know you will leave at some point! Honestly do not panic. You be will be fine. I went with no return ticket, no job or family in Oz and no one questioned anything about my trip.

Guest harrison2604
You'll be fine - if you only have a one way ticket, but had nothing else its not the best thing, but not the end of the world, the fact you have a load of money, family to stay with AND a job offer means a) they probably won't even look at them (the law of s*d) and b) even if they do you will just breeze through.

Seriously don't stress (although I was the same with all my bits and pieces - hence the being annoyed they didn't even care lol).

In fact, getting OUT of the country was a hell of a lot harder than getting in....(and yes, I know NZ is a completely and utterly different country, but they both have a WHV programme for Brits that works very similarly etc etc etc...)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens! 2 months to go!

I must say, you've put my mind at rest just by what you've said. For the mean time anyway... :)

Are you from Adelaide?

Thanks

Guest harrison2604
I would say 99% of people doing Working Holidays do not have a return ticket. You are there to travel and have fun and how do you know in a year where you will be and therefore want to fly from. I ended up flying on to NZ so good job I didn't have a return. They just want to see you have the funds for the ticket so they know you will leave at some point! Honestly do not panic. You be will be fine. I went with no return ticket, no job or family in Oz and no one questioned anything about my trip.

Thanks!

If they do interview me, I'll be sure to say I plan to fly to NZ when I explain my reason for having a one way ticket :)

A lot of things might have changed since 2007 D:

I always get worked up over little things. It's just the fact that I've just turned 21 and I'm going out to the other side of the world on my tod, leaving everything behind!

AWESOME, but nervewrecking

Guest leeannekays
So, they be waiting at the airport for you when you land??? Waiting to see you after a 23 hour flight?? To check you have money??? Somehow I really don't think so!!!!

That has really made me giggle! ;)

Guest guest7008

I been laughing since I wrote that!! I'm a bad girl I know, but just have this image of a gaggle of DIAC people in suits wiating at Adelaide Airport for all us migrating brits so they can check we have enough cash on us the minute we land!! I'm bad and should stop now!! Ha HA, you have to laugh otherwise we will all go mad!!