Funds to take with us

I've read of people going with a lot less.

I think it boils down to how much you research and budget carefully as far as possible. And then how long it takes you to find a job to start being able to pay bills rather than dip into your savings.

Also you could delay your move for a year or two and see if the market picks up (I personally don't hold out much hope for this sort of thing). But if you are really wanting to go you'll find a way to make £30,000 work I'd think :)

Guest tilly

we are only planning on taking about 25,000 gbp with us at most. i think it depends on what you are expecting when you get out there to be honest. we are planning on having enough money to keep ourselves covered for rent and food for up to 3 months (allowing time for hubby to get a job) and for furniture we aren't actually taking most of our stuff with us, we were planning on buying most stuff second hand to start with. basically its like starting out all over again for us - coz thats what we had to do when we first lived together!!! have a look on some of the real estate sites and work out the average rent for the kind of house you want, work out how much that would be a month, then i allowed 500 gbp a month for food on top of that.

thats what i have been doing to work out how much we need to take with us! hope this helps :)

Guest guest7008

Hi we in exactly the same position as you, have had our house on market since beg of March, had some viewers but no offers, we have this week reduced the asking price, as we really cannot leave here without the house funds, we have dropped the price by 20k to try shift it before the summer is over as our worry is if it sitting here for sell once autumn/winter arrives we've got no hope!! We need quite abit to come with as there is so many of us we need a larger than average rental so our costs gonna be sky high, also our flights x 8 is not cheap and an 8 seater car etc etc!! But where there is a will there is a way, so even if we only came over with 20k and we worked bloody hard it be so worthh it..... cheers The Rimmers

Thanks everyone I had an amount in my head I wanted to take with us but it just seems to be dwindling now all the time. I have always said that when I get theta I will do any job to start with cleaning, macdonalds anything just to make it work for us. Might meet up with you all soon in macdonalds lol

We will not have much more than you we will have about 40K so 60k in aussie dollars.

We are budgeting 40k for a deposit on a house (10%) and 20k to use as untill i get a job and to cover expenses but i will try to get set up for 10k. Will get everythink cheap to start and what we cant but cheap we will rent ie white goods ect untill we can find on a deal. Also remember you get 40kL luggege when you migrate per person and thats a lot of luggage if you have kids ect so you will be able to carry quite a bit with you. I will go cheap as chips with the first car untill settled and then get something better on finance after. If you can get a job quick then 10k aud i think is achivable to set up.

Also remember you get 40kL luggege when you migrate per person and thats a lot of luggage if you have kids ect so you will be able to carry quite a bit with you. I will go cheap as chips with the first car untill settled and then get something better on finance after. If you can get a job quick then 10k aud i think is achivable to set up.

This isn't a set in stone thing though. Only certain airlines offer this and then only for people on a permanent visa making their first trip out iirc. Its been discussed elsewhere and I recall it all recently as Singapore airlines are one of the few to honour the permanent visa 40kg weight.

This isn't a set in stone thing though. Only certain airlines offer this and then only for people on a permanent visa making their first trip out iirc. Its been discussed elsewhere and I recall it all recently as Singapore airlines are one of the few to honour the permanent visa 40kg weight.

I think singapore, malasia, and emerates do but didnt know about it just on perminents. I will definently check before booking as we are on a perminent and will only go with an airline that will do this. Really dont want to do a container.

Guest Celine
I think singapore, malasia, and emerates do but didnt know about it just on perminents. I will definently check before booking as we are on a perminent and will only go with an airline that will do this. Really dont want to do a container.

Hi

I checked recently with Malaysia but they have stopped the extra luggage allowance due to costs of fuel etc. Singapore still do though, I've booked my tickets through them & fly out 2nd June. Just drop the airlines an email asking the question. I'd advise you to keep a copy of the email when you do get permission & keep it with you when you check in just incase they query it

good luck

Celine

Hi

I checked recently with Malaysia but they have stopped the extra luggage allowance due to costs of fuel etc. Singapore still do though, I've booked my tickets through them & fly out 2nd June. Just drop the airlines an email asking the question. I'd advise you to keep a copy of the email when you do get permission & keep it with you when you check in just incase they query it

good luck

Celine

Well thats Malaysia off the list (just realised how bad my spelling is :embarrassed:)

will do with the email thats a good idea.

Think i will be able to get quite a bit in with 160kls of luggage but will need a few more cases.

Also is this including handluggage or do you get extra on top for this aswell ?

Its not done for people on temp visas, even those who'll be there for a few years and hope to make it longer. Only PR gets the 40kg luggage so I understand.

Guest Nick11
Its not done for people on temp visas, even those who'll be there for a few years and hope to make it longer. Only PR gets the 40kg luggage so I understand.

We came on a temp visa with singapore and they upped our baggage allowance to 30kg. Just kept sending lots of e-mails!!!! Think I bored them into submission!!!:biglaugh:

As for funds...do not underestimate the cost of living here!!! You will be in for a shock!!

Starting again costs a small fortune and it's not til you hit the shops that you realise this!!:arghh:

Guest bishop3912

I totally agree, the cost of living here is not to be underestimated, we r a family of 6 and food shopping alone costs me a fortune each week, and that is with no treats in the trolly & buying my fruit & veg Market & our meat at the wholesalers! cost us a lot more than $10,000 to set up when we got out here, also we ended up buying 2 cars when we thought we would only need one :-(. For those coming out, make sure u have a good nest egg to set yourselves up. Oz is alot more expensive now than it used to b several years ago :-(

Also we flew out with Singapore Airljnes & we were informed u only got allocated the extra baggage allowance to 40kg if u had not validated your visa. If u have previously validated then they will only give u 30kg per person.

Guest Celine
Well thats Malaysia off the list (just realised how bad my spelling is :embarrassed:)

will do with the email thats a good idea.

Think i will be able to get quite a bit in with 160kls of luggage but will need a few more cases.

Also is this including handluggage or do you get extra on top for this aswell ?

Hi,

The 40kgs does not include hand luggage, you get an additional 7kgs for a carry on case (measurements on their website) + handbag+laptop+reading material++++. If you check it all out on Singapore's website you can have quite a few extras which all helps. You need to be going out on a permanent visa & not to have used it before

hope this helps

Celine