Parents Visa

Hazel M

Just something I'm wondering about at the moment...

Does anyone know what the criteria is for parents to get a visa (maybe to live 6 mnths here and 6 mnths in UK per year). We are here on permanent residency... not sure if that would help them or not? Also not sure if the 50% of their children having to live here is still the case? They only have 2 children, me here and one in UK. If anyone has any recent ish info on this, or could point me in right direction that would be great. Thanks

We hope to come out to join our family soon on the expensive but quicker (15-18 months Contributory Parents Visa CPV143)

try these links

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami.../804/index.htm

Compared to the cost of a Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa, the cost of an Aged Parent visa is trivial but the wait is getting longer - 15+ years?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...tors/index.jsp

Many parents are willing to pay for CPVs is because they want fast processing and certainty. Some Parents consider that these considerations are worth £40K GBP. Other Parents consider that hanging on to their capital is a more compelling idea!

Just something I'm wondering about at the moment...

Does anyone know what the criteria is for parents to get a visa (maybe to live 6 mnths here and 6 mnths in UK per year). We are here on permanent residency... not sure if that would help them or not? Also not sure if the 50% of their children having to live here is still the case? They only have 2 children, me here and one in UK. If anyone has any recent ish info on this, or could point me in right direction that would be great. Thanks

Hi Hazel

If your parents want to divide their time 50/50 as you suggest, then I would suggest the subclass 676 Tourist Visa for them. There wouldn't be any problems with this - just apply for a sc 676 e-visa, I would suggest:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

Your own visa status doesn't make any real difference to the grant of a Tourist Visa. DIAC are much more concerned about the visitor's age, whether or not s/he has any known medical ailments and whether or not they can afford to support themselves in Oz, for the duration of their intended stay, without having to earn any money by working in Australia since working for pay is strictly forbidden for the holders of Tourist visas or, indeed, any of the short stay Visitor visas.

Where the prospective visitor is aged 75 or over, DIAC usually insist on a shortened visa medical before granting a Tourist visa. Apparently the reason for this is that there are hundreds of elderly foreign parents in Oz who have made it to Oz in the first place but have then become too ill or infirm to be able to leave Oz once their Tourist visas expire. If the doctors say that they can't leave then no airline will carry them in this situation, so that is that.

With regard to whether or not they might want to settle in Oz permanently in due course, the 50% of the kids that you describe is called the Balance of Family Test. You say that there are two children, one in Oz and the other in the UK. If this is correct then the Balance of Family Test is met.

Do either of your parents have any other children though, as a result of any prior marriages or similar? If yes, then those half-siblings or step-siblings of yours will also be counted as part of the BoF Test, which might scupper the idea of Parent migration for the time being.

How old are your parents at the moment, please? There is no point in my rattling on about Aged Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visas if they are far too young to be eligible for these visas for several years! If the visa has "Aged" in its title then one of the couple must be 65 (if the man is the older of the two) or as near as dammit 65 if the woman is the older.

If they are too young for anything "Aged" then the only sensible option for them would be Contributory Parent visas in due course. With these, the Parents' ages are irrelevant. The youngest CPV couple that I know are in their 30s. (The child who makes the visa possible was the child of Hubby's first marriage to an Aussie lady and she sponsored them for their CPVs on behalf of the child, who was only about 5 at the time.) The oldest CPV holder that I've heard of was an old dear from Devon who was 97 when her CPV was granted. DIAC crowed with joy and chanted, "You are never too old to migrate!" My own mother has a CPV. She's had it for nearly 5 years and she is now 90 but DIAC say that she is by no means the oldest CPV holder who is still alive.

When we got Mum's CPV in 2005/6, the process took us exactly 9.5 months and we could have saved one month if we had tried harder. The CPV then became over-subscribed, so until recently the time-line has been 18-24 months. Very recently, though, DIAC are complaining that the CPV has become under-subscribed, so the timelines are now falling again and I hear that in some cases it is only taking around 10 months. I think this is partly because of the strength of the AUD against most other currencies plus British CPV applicants (who are a minority amongst all the applicants) are particularly hard hit because the housing market in the UK has been allowed to go into free-fall, which Call Me Dave says is deliberate because he wants to force house prices to go down. He's definitely succeeding with his plan to wreck people's nest eggs.

If you think in round figures of about £50,000 sterling to enable a couple to get CPVs and then move themselves and all their personal effects out to Oz, you'll be about right on the costs. They would get $14,000 of this back after 10 years but none of the rest.

That said, though, it sounds like your Parents might never want to make a permanent move. DIAC growl a bit about the practice of Parents dividing their time 50/50 but in practice they never make a fuss about it.

Does this answer your questions adequately, please?

Cheers

Gill

Wow, thanks very much for such an informaive answer Gill. It sounds like the tourist visa is the one then since it would be a 50/50 split that I was thinking rather than anything permanent. Thank you so much for taking the time to go through everything for me. Such a help.

Hazel x