Please help with Visa Options

Guest jessandleon

Guest jessandleon

Hi,

My partner and I have recently moved from the UK to Adelaide. We took several months out and travelled through Asia. I am a permanent resident as my parents emigrated over here 7 years ago and I was put onto the family application.

My partner is only on a working holiday visa. He is a qualified joiner by trade. I want him to apply for a defacto visa or a work sponsored visa but find the application, cost etc extremely confusing as there are sooo many options.

I would really appreciate any advice on what application would be best and what the costs are etc.. Would really love to stay here as after being here i have no sudden urge to go back to the UK.

Hi,

My partner and I have recently moved from the UK to Adelaide. We took several months out and travelled through Asia. I am a permanent resident as my parents emigrated over here 7 years ago and I was put onto the family application.

My partner is only on a working holiday visa. He is a qualified joiner by trade. I want him to apply for a defacto visa or a work sponsored visa but find the application, cost etc extremely confusing as there are sooo many options.

I would really appreciate any advice on what application would be best and what the costs are etc.. Would really love to stay here as after being here i have no sudden urge to go back to the UK.

Hi there

Could you afford to pay a Registered Migration Agent to discuss the various possible options with you and to help you to work out what the best option would be in your situation? If you could afford around $200 AUD for a face-to-face chat, I could recommend 3 or 4 agents in Adelaide where a face-to-face meeting could be arranged for the sort of figure that I suggest. You could then contact them all and "shop around" for the agent that you feel you would get on with the best.

You say that your OH is a qualified Joiner. What sort of qualifications does he have, how much work experience has he had as a Joiner and how old is he, please?

Has he found work as a Joiner in Adelaide since he had been out there with you?

On another note, are you aware that your OH could qualify for a second 12 month stint on his WH visa as long as he does at least 3 months of "qualifying work" during his first 12 months in Oz? A variety of different types of work are possible in order to qualify for the 2nd 12 months. The work has to be carried out in "Regional Australia" but the whole of South Australia is deemed to be "Regional Australia" so location would not be a problem. Please see the link below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

Please click on the sub-links till you unearth all the stuff about how to get a second year on a WH visa.

Cheers

Gill

Guest tinkham_lee

Very similar situation to me, this is what i'm doing.

I came out here on a WH visa

Lived with my partner in our own house from day 1 (she came out 3 months before me to find jobs rentals etc)

Completed the 3 month regional work for 2nd yr WH visa

once I had lived with my partner for 12 months (and was on the 2nd yr WHV) I applied for the de-facto visa.

Cost is $2250 I think. plus medicals + police checks.

Takes 6-9 months to be granted

It comes in 2 parts, the first part is temporary residency for 2 years (from when application was lodged) after the 2 years if you can prove you are still together you get permanent residency.

You need to provide evidence you have been living together for at least 12 months, this can include joint rental agreements, bank accounts, insurances, photos, letters addressed to you both etc etc.

You also need to provide at least 2 statutory declarations written by friends.

hope that helps and feel free to drop me a pm if you have any more questions.

Guest jessandleon

Hi,

thank you both for the advice. We are currently applying for second working holiday visa as will be going travelling for another few months this time next year.Will then be following with defacto visa.