Teacher Registration Question

Guest Roo1

Guest Roo1

Hiya fellow teachers!

I've decided to go back teaching (TRT) for a couple days a week and I'm in the process of filling out my teacher registration form.

I've lived in Australia for 4 years and they (T R Board) require a Police check.

I'd like to ask, which/who/what application form did you use?

I've been telephoning the UK tonight and the CRB say I need to go onto the ACPOL website which I did.

Did you request a paper application form to be sent over from the Scottish Police Disclosure organisation or did you apply online? Did you get a basic one or enhanced?

I'm very confused! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Judi x

Guest Adelaide_bound

I spoke to TRB about this, and they seemed to think I only needed a police check for Australia - I did mention I was moving over from the UK, so would I not need a UK police check, but they replied they only required an Australian police check (which I thought was very very bizarre). I guess I will take over my (May last year) enhanced CRB as well, but that will be really out of date by then, as we won't be there until at the earliest Jan next year....(just checked on this as well, they don't accept the CRB at all, so that's a waste of paper).

(Have just rechecked the website, and this info is completely wrong looking at that - argh, why do people not know their own pigging business?!! grrr).

On the website it takes you to this form to fill in (costs £10)

http://www.met.police.uk/information/forms/3019.pdf

However - I find this confusing as it is only a check on any information held on you by the London Met Police....? And if you read the form, it seems to be to gather info they have on your specifically in regards to a specific event or offense. If you haven't committed any, then how can you ask for details about them?! It advises you to select 'PNC' in section 3 of the form, but this isn't an option! Aha - ok, looking further, it seems from this this form you cannot get a PNC from using this form (I'm guessing this is more recent than the TRB website information), so their (TRB) info is wrong. You need an ACRO check, like the one to get the visa, done, I think. So, you need to go to

http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm

and download the PNC application form, then send that off it appears. HOWEVER - you can only use this form if you last lived in London, Norfolk or Suffolk. If your last UK address was in another police area, you need to get the form from that police service and send it to them. That form should be found on the relevant police's website. When I went to my local police's website (W midlands) I was directed to the official ACRO form (which costs £35) that you use for the visa application, the police checks done then. However, it ALSO allows you to do a SAR under the data protection act, which is the £10, but ONLY covers the West Midlands. It also says you can do one for Scotland, the 'basic disclosure', but that claims to be only for employ in the UK.

I am loathe to email TRB again, as they obviously do not know their bottom from their elbow, but I don't really know what else to do, other than just apply for all the different checks, one from each police force in the UK, which will get quite pricely really. Or, just go for the ACRO, which hopefully covers the whole of GB, including Scotland?, and therefore would be proof of an up to date police check? Or does Scotland not get covered by the ACRO? (Sorry about my ignorance here, but not lived in Scotland so not really on our radar).

What a load of fussing around!! Sorry if that is more confusing than answering questions, hopefully it has helped a bit? Anyone else want to comment? :arghh:

Guest Roo1

Hey, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I've had a look at all the websites which you highlighted and I'm none the wiser too.

Last night I decided on the CBR check, just Basic and they wanted to know my UK employer! I'm here in bloody Australia!!

PNC doesn't provide disclosure for employment vetting and also I have had lived in Suffolk etc as you mentioned.

I'm orginally from Bolton, not Scotland, but looking a the website I think disclosure Scotland may give me what I need!

Nothings ever easy is it!

Cheers and I'll let you know how I get on

Judi x

Hiya fellow teachers!

I've decided to go back teaching (TRT) for a couple days a week and I'm in the process of filling out my teacher registration form.

I've lived in Australia for 4 years and they (T R Board) require a Police check.

I'd like to ask, which/who/what application form did you use?

I've been telephoning the UK tonight and the CRB say I need to go onto the ACPOL website which I did.

Did you request a paper application form to be sent over from the Scottish Police Disclosure organisation or did you apply online? Did you get a basic one or enhanced?

I'm very confused! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Judi x

I think I needed a police check from Australia, I'll see if I can find out from the admin queen, Mrs C :)

Cooler

Guest Roo1

Cheers Cooler, I will probably need one of those too but on the TRB form it asks if you have lived outside Australia in the last 10 years, hence the UK CRB check.

I phoned up TRB today and they said its definitly the ACRO form which needs to be filled out if you are here in Aus already. ACRO payment is a UK cheque (again nothing is simple is it) so I'll have to go down to the post office here and try and get some kind of postal order.

Grrr, give me strength......

Judi x

Cheers Cooler, I will probably need one of those too but on the TRB form it asks if you have lived outside Australia in the last 10 years, hence the UK CRB check.

I phoned up TRB today and they said its definitly the ACRO form which needs to be filled out if you are here in Aus already. ACRO payment is a UK cheque (again nothing is simple is it) so I'll have to go down to the post office here and try and get some kind of postal order.

Grrr, give me strength......

Judi x

My super admin assistant has just told that you need the UK one as well. I remember the red tape, hmm, I'll try and forget it!

Don't forget your mandatory notification course and first aid.

Cooler

Guest Adelaide_bound

Roo, you won't be able to get CRB, you can only get one if an approved employer put it through for you - you aren't allowed to apply for one as an individual, so you need to get a school, council, agency etc etc to apply for you - but it did say on that form that they do not accept the CRB anyways?

At least they are saying the ACRO, which is sort of the thinking we came to at the end of all that lol - if they were saying yet a different thing I think I might throw a little wobbly here lol. I'm hoping we can get this sorted pretty quickly when we get over there as we are now planning on going and having a bit of a backpacker holiday for 6 months or so we have decided, so fly into Adelaide, me do my training and register with the TRB and then off we pop whilst we wait for it to come through etc - will just need an address I guess, but will worry about that nearer the time.

If its a hassle Roo with the payment etc and they charge a load I can always write you a british cheque if you want - we can sort something out with Paypal or something maybe, or you can just buy us a couple of beers when we get there lol :D

Anyway - good luck! :D