July 2011 - SS and DIAC

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hiya

Just got back from the State run expo thingy in Brum, and having spoken to both DIAC and SA state representatives apparently:

1) The July 2011 changes (the new points system) are DEFINITELY coming in on July 1st

2) SS for SA will open again either on 1st July or perhaps one or two days earlier than that - but not later than the 1st July.

Hurrah :D

Hope that helps someone else out :)

Guest Becster19

Great news and thanks for the info. Hopefully they will take the restrictions off secondary school teachers, if not then an Independant Visa for us. Our agent has told us though that Independent visas are being cleared a lot quicker at the moment. She has just had one done, beginning to end in 9 months.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Great news and thanks for the info. Hopefully they will take the restrictions off secondary school teachers, if not then an Independant Visa for us. Our agent has told us though that Independent visas are being cleared a lot quicker at the moment. She has just had one done, beginning to end in 9 months.

Sorry to say Becci I don't think they will be removing the restrictions from what she said - apparently one or two jobs may be coming off the list, possibly none at all, but when I spoke about Secondary school teacher etc etc she didn't say anything and when I mentioned I knew about the STEM thing she obviously knew about it and what it was from what she said, but she didn't say anything about that restriction coming off - sorry :sad:

However, as you say, Independents are going through so much quicker now, and probably even more so after July when there are less people thought to be applying - we've worked out we will have our visas probably a lot earlier than we can actually afford to go :sad:

Guest Becster19

Thank you for letting me know. I thought it was highly unlikely there would be a change anyway. I'm happy to go Independent and use the time to save. We are lucky as we are renting so when we do get the go ahead we can be up and out there in a month. Luckily we have done this a few times before, so we are pretty pro at this moving business!!

What is your teaching subject?

Guest Adelaide_bound

No worries - costs me nothing to pass the info I got today on and who knows what karma will repay us for it? :D

I was an ICT teacher on my PGCE, but haven't taught that for a few years now, so hoping I don't get caught out and get through on 'closely related occupation' as the main duties my schools have put (or hopefully will when I get round to contacting all of them!) on my refs are all the same - teaching/assessing/reporting/planning and so on - the fact that I now happen to teach people a lot shorter (Primary) hopefully won't matter. I also did a stint in SEN, which is what I want to go back to I think - although I just want out of teaching full stop at the moment if I'm being 100% honest. We will see what happens - everything for a reason!

We rent too - although the nest egg of selling a house would be nice, I wouldn't want the stress (or wish it on my enemy!) of trying to sell in this market, or the amount that rests on it. Its hard enough thinking about having to sell off all of our furniture (not worth taking most of it out there as its so so old knackered and cheap in the first place, plus we want to go travelling round Oz for a bit first we think now, so would have to pay to store it all over there - cheaper probably all in to just buy new/second-hand etc once we get down under and finish our travels).

I'm trying to learn from my previous 'going to the other side of the world' moving mistakes - last time I threw everything away apart from a suitcase that I allowed my mother (of all people!) to help edit - I know they are just things, but I really miss a couple of dresses and jumpers, and a cooking pot I chucked - silly silly girl lol...

Guest Adelaide_bound
http://sortoutmyvisa.com/blog/

I have just been notified that the changes to the SOL have been published.

Hmm, DIAC are naughty little muppets then - although to be fair, its only 4 jobs off the SOL3, and a load on, and those 4 might still be on the SOL4 possibly?

Many thanks Becster for passing this on :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Did they give any indication how long SS applications will take for approval? I really dont know whether to apply for 175 on a priority 3 or wait and go for SS first and then apply for 176 on a priority 2. I want to go the quickest route! Any ideas how long 175 priority 3's are taking to go through at the moment? Some applications seem to be flying through!

Bev

PS thanks for all your helpful threads/information, i've learn't loads from you!!

Guest RobJ1978

Hi Bevev's,

I discussed this with my agent today and she said the 176 is the quickest route, the 175 are asking for medicals about 9 months after lodging, where as the 176 seem to be either instant or 2-3 weeks. Can i ask you a question, if you go on a 176 do you get any benefits when your over there, like the child benefit etc.....i will be working so i don't mean for that, but some people seem to get help with rent etc(who i know are working)....just if you do, it might change our route.

Thanks

Nic

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi' date='

Did they give any indication how long SS applications will take for approval? I really dont know whether to apply for 175 on a priority 3 or wait and go for SS first and then apply for 176 on a priority 2. I want to go the quickest route! Any ideas how long 175 priority 3's are taking to go through at the moment? Some applications seem to be flying through!

Bev

PS thanks for all your helpful threads/information, i've learn't loads from you!![/quote']

SA SS seems to be about 4-5 weeks at the moment, and 176 seems to be about 2 weeks to get a CO and however long to get your medical booked (a few weeks? Depends on where you are in the country as well I guess) and then a couple of weeks after that for your medicals to get there and police check to come back and be sent off so about 6 weeks ish? (Based on police and medical checks being all clear and good, obviously).

But who knows after July - they obviously are clearing the decks with SS as they have had no new applications for a bit now after they closed it.

If you want it to go through asap, go for the 176 as that will continue to be Priority 2, which will always be faster that Priority 3 (the 175). If you are worried about the implications of the 176 over the 175 - you're only making a 2 year commitment to the State (and as some will argue you're not really at all at the end of the day anyway... but that's a whole other argument lol).

DIAC were quoting 18-24 months for the 175 apparently at the expo we went to - I can't remember whether it was 12-18 months or 6-12 for the 176 they said - either way, it appears from actual people going through right now the 176 will be faster, sometimes by a LOAD :)

Good luck, and thanks, happy to help people (who knows, this might lead to a new career as well as a new country lol).

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi Bevev's,

ICan i ask you a question, if you go on a 176 do you get any benefits when your over there, like the child benefit etc.....i will be working so i don't mean for that, but some people seem to get help with rent etc(who i know are working)....just if you do, it might change our route.

175 and 176 are the same with regards to benefits - you don't get most benefits for 2 years after settling, eg unemployment benefit etc, but I believe there are some that other people have had before the 104 week requirement is up (perhaps rent assist? Sorry, not sure on these - perhaps put a new thread up on this one for people to say what they have been able to claim?)

So no need to change from a 176 to a 175 or vice versa for this reason, what you are eligible for (or not) is the same for both :)

(SA no longer have many/any settlement benefits, like the old new immigrants short term housing they used to offer).

Thanks Adelaide Bound,

You certainly should look at a career move! I honestly thought you either worked or had a contact in immigration! Thank you for this helpful information. I'm waiting for skills to come back, although when i've logged onto ANMAC site all my documentation is saying YES, as in received, I just wish they'd approve it so I can get SS stuff to them, as soon as they open. Are you in Adelaide or waiting to go?

Bev

Guest Adelaide_bound

We're still waiting to go - waiting for SS to reopen so we can apply and get the ball rolling, then need to raise the huge pile of money we need to go on a very very long holiday once down under lol

I just like knowing stuff - doesn't mean I always get it right, but being nosey means you tend to ferret out the facts lol :)