Home sick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Squareman

I miss family and friends, but very little else. I was born to live here. The UK is a cold miserable place and the populace, collectively, has a strange outlook on life. As for South Africa, don't even go there.....literally. hehe

Lot's of things,like Family and Friends,decent clothing at affordable prices,UK SOCCER!!!!,Bargains in abundance, superb TV,courteous driving(much more so than here)close proximity to most amenities with choice,as well as lots of pubs nearby,and Europe, and all it offers ,on the doorstep.How about a vice versa thread to even things up though!:D

Well,i don't miss the wanton crime,just for the sake of it,i.e.smashing up bus shelters,scratching expensive cars with nails and harassing the vulnerable elderly,or the destruction of peoples property just for fun.I also don't miss the mealy mouthed politicians,scoring points off each other on programmes like Question Time,whilst showing scant regard for the real issues that erode the Society they purport to represent, almost all of them spineless sycophants.The other thing i don't miss is the open door policy on Immigration.This subject i could go on about for an hour or more,and still have plenty more to say.Needless to say,in my opinion,the UK is now well and truly ......!Smarmy Phoney Blurt came along in 1997 to hammer the final few nails in the Coffin IMO.We all moan about here sometimes,BUT it really is better for us and our Families,AND the weather has got nothing to do with it.:idea::D

I miss lots of things. Family and friends at the top of the list, but plenty of others - decent pubs, decent shops (from supermarkets to electrical and (even as a guy I notice this) clothes), decent fish and chips, decent driving, intelligent humour, decent TV and radio (would it be even possible, I wonder, for either medium to be dumbed down further?), trades and services who turn up and houses that are made by builders who know what they were doing and care enough to do it right.

Jim

I DON'T MISS...... teenagers that can't string two intelligible words together; papers like The Sun and The Mirror and News of The World that make role models of people like Amy Winehouse and the like and seem constantly obsessed with marital infidelity in some form or other; grey gloomy days where you have to have the lights on all day and having blue and ulcerated fingers for three quarters of the year; narrow roads boarded by dozens of identical box houses; days out always costing money because you can't plan ahead to do outdoor activities with any surety of having good weather; traffic jams......and having to pay to hire dvds from the library!

I've probably been away from the UK for too long! Can't remember much else

Guest Squareman

Not sure about the fish n chips. I was in the UK late last year and must have had 10 fish suppers from different places and they were all total garbage.

I would agree that a lot of food here is generally quite tasteless. Perhaps its the seasoning?

Its all realtive though imho, i find all the food to be better nicer especialy fish and chips, i find the shops ok, humour ok, dont think the tv is that much worse to uk apart from the bbc (which is easy to get here) houses are diffrent which is a positive and apart from houses and cars living here is cheaper for me :)

What i do miss is obviously my family, friends, and the old pubs :)

I miss...... the beautiful countryside, colourful flowers, hedgerows, birdsong and lush vegetation. Frosty winter days, fresh summer days, long summer evenings, changeable weather. Central heating, decent tap water, double glazing, decent quality houses. BBC and Eurosport. A choice or places I can shop without catching a plane, competitive prices, proper choice, affordable european cars, shopping for anything on the internet, cheap broadband, food choice. Proper pubs & restaurants. Steak Puddings. Being under 2 hours drive from the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, Snowdonia. Being under 2 hours flight from much of europe. The beaches, lochs and mountains of the highlands & islands. Snow. The massive choice of what to do or where to go. British Superbikes. News that tells me whats going on outside the country I live in. Warm bathrooms. Cities, towns, villages, motorways, driving standards. Days out on my motorbike to the dales, breakfast rolls from a roadside burger van. Christmas in the winter. Not being there to help out my mum.

I don't miss........ the in-laws (I'll be in trouble for that!) and Vanessa Feltz

Not quite sure what I'm doing here to be honest

I miss...... the beautiful countryside, colourful flowers, hedgerows, birdsong and lush vegetation. Frosty winter days, fresh summer days, long summer evenings, changeable weather. Central heating, decent tap water, double glazing, decent quality houses. BBC and Eurosport. A choice or places I can shop without catching a plane, competitive prices, proper choice, affordable european cars, shopping for anything on the internet, cheap broadband, food choice. Proper pubs & restaurants. Steak Puddings. Being under 2 hours drive from the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, Snowdonia. Being under 2 hours flight from much of europe. The beaches, lochs and mountains of the highlands & islands. Snow. The massive choice of what to do or where to go. British Superbikes. News that tells me whats going on outside the country I live in. Warm bathrooms. Cities, towns, villages, motorways, driving standards. Days out on my motorbike to the dales, breakfast rolls from a roadside burger van. Christmas in the winter. Not being there to help out my mum.

I don't miss........ the in-laws (I'll be in trouble for that!) and Vanessa Feltz

I agree mate why are you here??? :eek:

Guest RichandHelen

At the end of the day, apart from the weather are the two countries really that different. Wind the UK back 20 years and voila....:goofy:

I agree mate why are you here??? :eek:

Because if I wasn't here, I'd always be wondering what if. Don't try & you'll never know!

There are of course many things I like about living here in Adelaide, and some I don't. Same as anywhere probably. Nowhere is perfect.

I know what you mean, when I first lived here I used to get very homesick, but 2nd time round I don't really at all. I've got all those things out of my system. If you miss the BBC and Eurosport and news from abroad then why not get Foxtel? It's an essential luxury for me, I get BBC World, BBC Knowledge, Sky UK News, UKTV and there are loads of British programs on (as well as other stuff) - not that I watch it wall-to-wall, but I would go mad if all I had was freeview - I can't stand channels 7, 9 and 10 with their endless adverts.

As for what would I miss from Adelaide, having lived here for 3 years and then moved back to England, here are some of the things I missed:

Living by the sea, blue skies, feeling the heat of the sun on my skin, easy and free parking most places, the sounds of the birds, the dry ground (no mud), gum leaves everywhere underfoot, the open spaces and empty roads outside of the city, holidays when it doesn’t rain all the time, being able to go somewhere without getting stuck on the M25, the lack of overcrowding, being able to plan a BBQ or outdoors event and not worry too much about the weather, the general cheerfulness of the people, the lack of emphasis on your social class (I lived in a very snooty stuck up village), meat pies, iced coffee (don’t drink it anymore though). The general easiness of everyday life.

Guest rhymney

i wont miss council tax litter and dog **** all over the pavement mots rain snow sleat brown sea low wages yob culture swearing in public lager louts binge drinking tacky seaside towns council estates conjestion charges high fuel costs dirty toilets in pubs and resturants sheep coming home from work soaked through to my pants :o