Parenting Bridging Visa

Guest taunton

Guest taunton

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered.

I am looking into visa for my mum, to join us in about 18 months time, I know she can go for the contirbutory visa and there is approx 15 to 18 month wait.

But have been looking into the other visa, non contributory - I have spoken to agent who we used and was told the following:

If my mum applies on shore in Adeladie then she would be granted the Bridging Visa, there is currently a 7 year waiting list and she would not be allowed to leave Australia during that time as you can not enter Australia on a Bridging Visa.

I am waiting for full details to come through from agent, but just wandering if anyone has any knowledge on this - seems very unfair to say that you can not leave the country.

Cheers

Wendy :D:D:D:D

22 days left before we leave the UK and return to Aus on our PR Visa's - can't wait

Guest taunton

Thanks

New to this site and takes a bit time finding your way around...

I knew I'd seen something a couple of weeks ago, just found it now..

Cheers

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered.

I am looking into visa for my mum, to join us in about 18 months time, I know she can go for the contirbutory visa and there is approx 15 to 18 month wait.

But have been looking into the other visa, non contributory - I have spoken to agent who we used and was told the following:

If my mum applies on shore in Adeladie then she would be granted the Bridging Visa, there is currently a 7 year waiting list and she would not be allowed to leave Australia during that time as you can not enter Australia on a Bridging Visa.

I am waiting for full details to come through from agent, but just wandering if anyone has any knowledge on this - seems very unfair to say that you can not leave the country.

Cheers

Wendy :D:D:D:D

22 days left before we leave the UK and return to Aus on our PR Visa's - can't wait

Hi Wendy

What happens is that a Bridging Visa A is granted initially. Australia ceased to be a penal colony in 1841 so they no longer try to prevent anyone from leaving the country! However the Bridging Visa A does not confer a right to re-enter Australia.

However that is not a worry because the Parent applies for a Bridging Visa B before s/he leaves Australia. Bridging visa B is known as "the travel visa" and the holder of a BV B is allowed to re-enter Australia with no problem.

The only restriction is that the Bridging Visa B would normally only allow your Mum to spend a total of 90 days outside Australia in each calendar year. DIAC reckon that most of the applicants for Aged Parent Visas probably won't want to spend more than 3 months a year outside Oz anyway. Would 90 days a year outside Oz be enough for your Mum, do you reckon?

Mary's Dad & his wife are now in their mid-70s and they applied for Aged Parent visas in about November or December 2009. They were given Bridging Visas A to begin with but they had no problem at all with obtaining Bridging Visas B during 2010, to that they could go on a holiday abroad with their two daughters, their respective spouses and all their grandchildren.

DIAC recognise that it would not be reasonable to keep APV applicants trapped in Australia indefintely, never fear, so please don't worry about this.

There is no particular need to use an Agent in order to apply for your mother's visas in due course, by the way, unless you want to. My own mother has a Contributory Parent Visa. I live in the UK and my sister Elaine lives in Oz. Elaine and I dealt with the whole thing by ourselves, as did Mary and her own parents, plus literally dozens of other families I have come across over the years. Parent visas are amongst the easiest visas of all to apply for.

Did you find the "Cheap Parent Visas" thread that I started some time ago? It has been busy with discussions about Contributory Parent visas lately but if you read the first part of that thread, there are very detailed descriptions and discussions about the non-contributory Aged Parents visa.

Your agent is right that the wait for a non-contributory Aged Parents visa is about 7 years at the moment. The 15-18 month wait that you describe is for the offshore Contributory Parent visa, though the wait for that coming down substantially because DIAC are a bit short of buyers for CPVs at the moment!

Cheers

Gill

Guest taunton

Gill

Thanks ever so much for your reply, I did find your original thread after some searching, just findingmy way around the site..

90 days would be plenty for my mum, she'd just return to UK once a year to visit other family.

This will make her day when I tell her tomorrow, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will look into doing the application ourselves I think, I know it can be lodged when she is on holiday, just got to get her to pick when she wants to make the move.

Thanks again

Cheers Wend :D

Hi Wends,

I applied for an Aged Parent Visa (No contributory) for my Mum in October last year when she turned 64. Think it only took a couple of weeks to get the Bridging Visa through. It was such a relief I can tell you.

We did not use an agent as the forms are pretty straight forward but if you get stuck when the time comes just give me a shout and I'll talk you through them.

Karen

Hi Wends,

I applied for an Aged Parent Visa (No contributory) for my Mum in October last year when she turned 64. Think it only took a couple of weeks to get the Bridging Visa through. It was such a relief I can tell you.

We did not use an agent as the forms are pretty straight forward but if you get stuck when the time comes just give me a shout and I'll talk you through them.

Karen

Hi Karen

I'm delighted to hear that you had no hassles with your own mother.

Mary and her parents haven't had any problems either.

Thanks very much for offering to help Wendy in due course. I'm a fervent believer in the idea that if we all help each other then, between us all, we can manage most things by ourselves so I'm very grateful for your kindness in offering to help with Wendy's Mum. You're a woman after my own heart! :D

Cheers

Gill

Gill

Thanks ever so much for your reply, I did find your original thread after some searching, just findingmy way around the site..

90 days would be plenty for my mum, she'd just return to UK once a year to visit other family.

This will make her day when I tell her tomorrow, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will look into doing the application ourselves I think, I know it can be lodged when she is on holiday, just got to get her to pick when she wants to make the move.

Thanks again

Cheers Wend :D

Hi Wendy

Many thanks for replying. At the beginning of the "Cheap Parents Visa" thread I have spelt out exactly what needs to happen. Karen Thorpe will make sure that you don't get stuck if you chew things over with her. Parent visa applications are not difficult - just incredibly long-winded, I found with my own mother's application. It is exactly the same form for all 6 possible Parent visas - you just have to tick the box to say which visa you want.

I'm glad to hear that 90 days a year outside Oz would be OK. My friend Mary's father told me that he knows another British couple who are living in Adelaide on Bridging Visas whilst they wait for their Aged Parent visas. Apparently the other couple come to the UK for 3 months each year specifically to avoid the worst of the winter in Adelaide. There might be an army of them on the planes at that time of the year! Your Mum might find that she's just joining a procession at Adelaide Airport!

Cheers

Gill

Guest taunton

Hi Gill & Karen

Thanks to both of you, you've been a great help.....

I will nearer the time pick your brains again...

We are leaving the UK in 21 days at least I know I can leave her knowing that she knows she can join us when she is ready..she was so relieved this morning when I gave her the news.

Thanks again

Cheers Wend :D:D:D:D