Student loans?

Guest Viksta

Guest Viksta

I started uni in 1999, so have a rather large student loan!! Over here this just comes automatically out of my wage packet (lovely!!) I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that has a loan from the same time ish, that has gone over to oz? Does anyone know how it works paying it back? I can't imagine that the government are gonna let me forget I have it so any advice if anyone knows would be greatly excepted!!!

Thanks!

Guest Becster19

I went in '99 too. I worked in Oz and NZ for 3 years and never paid anything back. In NZ I was on a proper working visa as well as I had a permanent teaching position. As far as I know its through your taxes so if your not earning in the UK then it doesn't get picked up. I would imagine if you want to pay it back there will be arrangements for people overseas. Personally Im going to be going to be keeping quiet and hope no one notices I have gone!! I went to uni in London as well so mine is HUGE!!

Guest Becster19

Since I have been in my current position in the UK, which has been for over a year now, they haven't taken a penny off me, so I doubt they will clock on to you in Australia!!!

Guest Mitchell
Since I have been in my current position in the UK, which has been for over a year now, they haven't taken a penny off me, so I doubt they will clock on to you in Australia!!!

The student loan co is a bit of a joke. It took them 4 years to start taking payments for mine despite lots of phone calls from me. They also put someone else's NI no in wrong so it matched mine then every year for 5 years told me mine was wrong. My old boss paid off his loan then they would keep taking payments via tax every month so he had to phone to get it back every month for nearly 2 years. I wouldn't worry about them finding you in Oz they probably don't know where it is! Lol

I started uni in 1999, so have a rather large student loan!! Over here this just comes automatically out of my wage packet (lovely!!) I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that has a loan from the same time ish, that has gone over to oz? Does anyone know how it works paying it back? I can't imagine that the government are gonna let me forget I have it so any advice if anyone knows would be greatly excepted!!!

Thanks!

There was a thread on here about student loans and them setting up an office in Sydney to chase people in Australia. I think that this changed after a certain date and may have not been retrospective.

Many people do pay back to the UK so you will be able to do that.

Cooler

Guest Woody and Jane

I have a "a friend" that moved home back in the UK to just down the road and forgot to tell student loans their new address. They never got caught. About five years later they found out they had a CCJ but that didn't stop them getting a couple of mortgages and living a normal life.

I say ditch your student loan, if they can't find someone in the UK how the hecky thump are they gonna find you over here?

Woody.

Guest Nick11

My sister works for the company who have just won the contract from the u.k government to collect student loans from Brits who live overseas. The countries she mentionned were South Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand... I think!! They will be setting up in Melbourne..so it may take some time but they will catch up with you eventually.

Guest Viksta

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice!!! obviously i'd LOVE to be forgotten about but rather not end up with a CCJ!! Nick 11 keep us posted on what you find out!

Guest Viksta

they are useless aren't they, i always seem to end up with them finding me!!! its such a big chunk too!!:skeptical: