getting my dog from melbourne to adelaide

Guest cyprus2001

Guest cyprus2001

hi there anyone have any guidance as to the best way to get my dog from melbourne to adelaide once he has completed quaratine period, someone suggested the coast road but how long would that take to drive? what have other people done or what companies have they used to do this answers please...... thankyou

Guest cyprus2001
Hi

Just flew our siberian husky with dogtainers & cost $325.

Tracey

hi thanks for your reply thats really reasonable, was their any extra paperwork involved as the quote our uk shippers have given us gets dog from uk to melbourne but didnt give any other details from there, so i was like oh ok now what, but that sounds good ill look them up.

thanks again:D

hi thanks for your reply thats really reasonable, was their any extra paperwork involved as the quote our uk shippers have given us gets dog from uk to melbourne but didnt give any other details from there, so i was like oh ok now what, but that sounds good ill look them up.

thanks again:D

Hi

No additional paperwork - I rang a few companies that ship pets & they were the cheapest. Booked it about a week and half before he was due out of quarantine (we couldn't make our minds up whether to drive up & pick him up) & they were excellent, just had to ring Spotswood to let them know who would be picking him up.

Tracey

The coast road would take about three days and to be honest, not ideal with a dog. You can drive it on the "fast" inland road - takes about 8 hours from Melbourne to here. Just try to time your drive so you are not driving at dawn or dusk or you run the risk of hitting 'roos etc, and cars don't come off too well in that battle!

Guest Guest5035

I think if the dog flies with yourself its classed as just mormal baggage, as long as its in a crate. So if your ticket costs $100 Melb to adelaide then the dog if weighing upto 23kgs is free, or $20.

stevo

Guest cyprus2001
The coast road would take about three days and to be honest, not ideal with a dog. You can drive it on the "fast" inland road - takes about 8 hours from Melbourne to here. Just try to time your drive so you are not driving at dawn or dusk or you run the risk of hitting 'roos etc, and cars don't come off too well in that battle!

that was thoughts exactly thought the drive would take a while and with the dog and 3 kids not ideal. thanks for your advice :-)

Guest cyprus2001
Hi

No additional paperwork - I rang a few companies that ship pets & they were the cheapest. Booked it about a week and half before he was due out of quarantine (we couldn't make our minds up whether to drive up & pick him up) & they were excellent, just had to ring Spotswood to let them know who would be picking him up.

Tracey

oh thats good then, i have emailed them so awaiting their response, the hardest thing so far about the move is getting the dog there. lol bless him. thanks for your reply :-)

I think if the dog flies with yourself its classed as just mormal baggage, as long as its in a crate. So if your ticket costs $100 Melb to adelaide then the dog if weighing upto 23kgs is free, or $20.

stevo

Hi

Not free with Virgin or Qantas, we were quoted around $220 for him to fly on his own or $110 if we were on the same flight (can't remember exact amounts) but all depends on weight of crate & dog.

Tracey

Guest WhatNow?

stevo

That's (almost) right Stevo. The dog travels as cargo but the final cost depends on the weight of dog plus crate so don't use the wooden crate he came over in, get a lighter plastic one from a pet store and take it with you as checked luggage. You book your dog's ticket at the same time as yours and take him into the freight terminal before you go to check in. You can't usually book a pet in more than 90 mins before a flight, (which would be a bit cruel) so you book him in just before you check in, he is weighed in the crate and you pay for his ticket there and then. The freight terminal is just a short walk (5min) from the main one at Tullamarine (just on the access road). You can watch him being loaded onto the plane if you sit near your departure gate. When they loaded my cat they were very careful to keep the crate out of the sun as he was taken across the tarmac to the plane on a buggy and they lifted the crate and placed it on the conveyor into the plane in a very considerate manner. When I got to Adelaide my cat had been transferred to the freight terminal and was waiting for me by the time I had walked across the road. All very civilised and straightforward.

By the way, Spottswood quarantine station is a good 25 minute taxi drive from the airport so you have to factor the return trip in when you book your return flight. Taxi drivers seem quite calm about the idea of people collecting their pets from quarantine, though they do tend to think we are mad for spending so much money bringing them with us! The Spottswood staff are lovely people and very helpful. They will let you go with them to put the dog in the crate - all gets very emotional...which they are also used to...LOL!

hi there anyone have any guidance as to the best way to get my dog from melbourne to adelaide ...

Hi

We have two dogs that we want to take with us, would you mind letting us know what it has cost you to - date to bring over your dog and also what type of dog you have?

Thanks, your family will soon be complete I guess.

Guest cyprus2001
hi there anyone have any guidance as to the best way to get my dog from melbourne to adelaide ...

Hi

We have two dogs that we want to take with us, would you mind letting us know what it has cost you to - date to bring over your dog and also what type of dog you have?

Thanks, your family will soon be complete I guess.

hi there we have quote of 2400 from golden arrow they are in shropshire however they can collect your dog from you at the airport by prior arrangement, this is just the paperwork and 3 days board prior to flight then flight to melbourne where they go into quarantine, quarantine charges are payable locally and are not included in the quote. neither are all the injections or blood test prices ie, vet bills you need to pay those yourselves and dog has to be microchipped at your expense too but these aparently do not mouth too too much. then its getting the dog from melbourne to adelaide which all advice is listed in the thread get my dog from melbourne to adelaide. Oh i have a cocker saniel.sorry got carried away waffling. lol

hope this helps

goodluck.

hi there we have quote of 2400 from golden arrow they are in shropshire however they can collect your dog from you at the airport by prior arrangement, this is just the paperwork and 3 days board prior to flight then flight to melbourne where they go into quarantine, quarantine charges are payable locally and are not included in the quote. neither are all the injections or blood test prices ie, vet bills you need to pay those yourselves and dog has to be microchipped at your expense too but these aparently do not mouth too too much. then its getting the dog from melbourne to adelaide which all advice is listed in the thread get my dog from melbourne to adelaide. Oh i have a cocker saniel.sorry got carried away waffling. lol

hope this helps

goodluck.

Ouch!...what do you estimate the costs will be your side in addition to the UK costs?

Hi

We've just shipped our siberian husky who weighs 26 kg and it cost us approx 2,750 gbp for shipping, 430 gbp for vets fees (he had to have a more indepth blood test cause he failed the first 2) $1,350 for quarantine, $320 for flight to Adelaide & $50 to register him (approx 4,300 gbp).

:arghh:

Tracey