Best and worst things about Australia.

Guest graemepugh

Guest graemepugh

Hi,

There are so many questions we have about a life in Australia. Perhaps it would be best to ask what are the best things and worst things about a new life in Australia?

What do you miss the most about the UK?

We move out at the end of august.

Thanks

The Pugh Family.

Hi,

There are so many questions we have about a life in Australia. Perhaps it would be best to ask what are the best things and worst things about a new life in Australia?

What do you miss the most about the UK?

We move out at the end of august.

Thanks

The Pugh Family.

FOR ME :

The best is the space !

The worst is the drivers

I MISS:

Clothes shops and English country pubs

:huh::)

Guest Squareman

I think that about sums it up! hehe. From my side, there is nothing 'bad' about Australia that is worth writing about. I miss family and friends but that's about it. It's all good

Things I like include:

weather is a big bonus here, although this last year has been very different to the first two years we had here (it's been far more unsettled and with strange watery globes falling from the sky that they call 'rain' ...) So far, though, this winter is fairly mild and sunny, so that's good;

we've made some really good friends here - Aussie and several other nationalities - and have been made welcome;

there are plenty of nice places to go within fairly easy travel time, often free. The Barossa is great, there are some lovely beaches and lots of pleasant towns in the hills. I still enjoy parking up near South Terrace and getting the tram into the CBD - whilst it's now familiar there's still the vague sense of being a tourist rather than a resident.

Some things I don't like:

the standard of driving;

the price and quality of goods;

the smallminded/bigoted views of some people;

graffiti;

the unrealistic views of the place that have developed but don't get updated, such as 'the 20 minute city' (I can easily sit at traffic lights for 20 minutes when trying to make it across town ...) or that Adelaide is far cheaper than other pleaces in Aus or overseas - often put about by people who have very little experience of other places in Aus or overseas (not to mention by people overseas who have very little experience of Adelaide ...);

the reliance on resources to keep the rest of the economy afloat;

the standard of politics (state and federal);

what passes for TV and radio.

Tons of things I miss about the UK and plenty I don't! Lived happily in the UK (and elsewhere) for first 40 years, currently living happily here and my day-to-day experience isn't that different.

Jim

Guest cornish Busdriver

Best things are space, things to do all year round, the friendlyness, weather

Bad things are Bad driving, government, port power lol lol

Guest cornish Busdriver
what bout not catching a snapper yet....thats gotta be pretty bad....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

HG

Ouchhhh that's not nice, I still blame russle for the hook coming untied lol lol

Fishing down your way on sunday if ya wanna get some hooks wet

Guest Guest75
Ouchhhh that's not nice, I still blame russle for the hook coming untied lol lol

Fishing down your way on sunday if ya wanna get some hooks wet

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

There were n Snaps out there yesterday:sad:Should be good for the Salm over the weekend and Monday though,it's gonna blow again.

Guest cornish Busdriver
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

There were n Snaps out there yesterday:sad:Should be good for the Salm over the weekend and Monday though,it's gonna blow again.

Im day off today so might go Aldinga or sellicks to see whats about :jiggy:

I think there are bad drivers everywhere. The only thing that stands out for me about driving in Adelaide is that they don't know how to drive in bad weather. ;) That's about it.

Best thing for me is that Adelaide just feels like home.

Worst thing is missing family. I don't miss them in terms of homesickness type thing, but skyping with my children and missing my nephews IRL, and my parents missing out on my children... that's hard if I think about it too long.

Guest Woody and Jane

I witness shocking driving on a daily basis. Just looking around you can tell how bad the drivers in Adelaide are by the number of Car Crash Repair garages there are. There are literally a million, I counted. Well, maybe not a million but a heck of a lot.

Guest m.jephcott

Yes a lot of the drivers don't seem to know basic road rules. Last week we had thick fog for a few hours and couldn't see the cars in front, yet most people failed to put there lights on, and that was on South road.