Has anyone/are you allowed to pack yourself for the container?

Guest Trakki

Guest Trakki

When you get to the stage of packing up for shiping your stuff over to Oz, has anyone packed themselves and then this been put in container or do the company have to pack for you? The reason I ask is that we are shortly having a sort out and i was going to pack everything into boxes and itemise everything so that it would not need to be repacked just put in container but if this is not an option I will not waste as much time with the itemising.

Hope someone can answer me

Thanks

When you get to the stage of packing up for shiping your stuff over to Oz, has anyone packed themselves and then this been put in container or do the company have to pack for you? The reason I ask is that we are shortly having a sort out and i was going to pack everything into boxes and itemise everything so that it would not need to be repacked just put in container but if this is not an option I will not waste as much time with the itemising.

Thanks

Hi Tracy,

I have heard Graham and Jacs say there is a company that would just drop the container at the end of your house and then leave you to pack it all and then they will collect it.This would mean you have to itemise out the lot etc.

From what i have heard its best to let them pack the container. I assume that it would be ok to do some packing of "stuff" that will not be subject to damage but dont know for certain. I expect someone who has gone through this stage can set the record straight. (i must admit will keep an eye out on the replies as we are starting to sort out the house and get on the market so will soon need to know!!)

as long as the golf clubs get there not to bothered about the rest:D

Hi guys,

we are starting to pack up ourselves, so that when the visa comes in we can leave fairly quickly. We are using Meadows shipping from Edinburgh and from what they have said, we can pack ourselves but leave the boxes open and make up a list of what is in each box, they will then check this and complete the relevant forms and close the boxes, thereafter put into the container themselves.

It means that they know what is in each box themselves and also the boxes that have the most valuable items in, otherwise if anything happens they give an average insurance based on all boxes having a basic value no matter what is in them.

Hope this helps. We will also be interested in the responses from this to make sure we are doing things right.

Guest philnjulie

hi there,

we packed some boxes ourselves to save on time like you said left open so contents can be checked and contents are secure enough, but would suggest you take out extra insurance to cover any eventually we were informed the shippers basic insurance only covers for minimal amount £50 per item / box i think don't forget any containers in the drink are used as navy target practise hazard to shipping as they float. regards phil

Guest donna T

Although our packers did pack most of our stuff, we had a fair number of boxes that were already packed - ie stuff from the loft, photos etc. The guys just asked what was in them and listed them on their manifest and then put our boxes into their packing boxes - I guess to make them easier to stack up = they do such a great job of getting it all in the containers, I would leave them to it :D

Guest chrisk8

Thanks

Its always best to have your removal company pack for you - you will find that they will suggest this becasue of Insurance reasons - i.e if you pack yourself then you won't be fully insured and also for customs clearance reasons i.e. if you pack yourself then Customs officials are more likely to open your boxes and charge you for the privilege. Another good reason to let your removal company do it - their guys do it day in day out and invariably will pack your belongings into a smaller number of boxes then you would if you did it yourself. This won't make alot of diference if you're having your own container but if you're shipping as shared load then the more space you use the more it will cost.

All that said - of course you can pack yourself and seal the boxes or leave them to be checked and sealed by the movers - just don't forget to provide a detailed list to your movers to pass on to Customs at clearance stages.

Good luck

Chris

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Tracey, we did look into this and it can be done, we found a firm called Maritime Cargo, who would deliver the container to you door and you had 3.5 hours to load it, then it would be collected and off it went. Decided to just get the whole lot wrapped ,packed, and shipped , delivered to our new ..!! frount door , for £3200.00. But it can be done. Oh the cost for the container for you to pack was £2300.00. Cheers Graham

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I also agree with Chris.

For us, it made sense to let someone else do the packing in case of claims. We also didn't want any nasty surprises when it got to Adelaide in case they opened it all.

We had moved out of out place in Novemeber and they arrived in April (we rented a much smaller place) adn so alot of stuff had never been unpacked fomr the first move. They opened the box and repacked some things, other boxes they had a look through adn itemised it for us and they brought some more boxes as well for the other stuff being packed.

We had had enough of packing and unpacking at this point and knowing we had to do it again at the other end meant that we just wanted life to be easier at this point. If someone else could take the strain for a bit, so be it.

Libby