Help...crisis!!!

ejaytee

Hi everyone, I hope and pray someone can help me with this problem....soooo close to getting our visa, only waiting for the last thing which was our police checks. UK done, but I lived in the United Arab Emirates for a while, and had to come back to the UK in a hurry for personal reasons, and left a small debt behind. That debt has now become a large debt, and they are refusing to issue a police clearance certificate saying i have a criminal record but not specifying what it is!!!!

I didn't declare it on my visa application cos i had no idea i was a "criminal"...

And if they don't specify the "crime", then how do i prove to the DIAC that i'm not some kind of serial killer or something??

What on earth can i do? Please help...feels like my whole world has fallen in :sad:

Hi everyone, I hope and pray someone can help me with this problem....soooo close to getting our visa, only waiting for the last thing which was our police checks. UK done, but I lived in the United Arab Emirates for a while, and had to come back to the UK in a hurry for personal reasons, and left a small debt behind. That debt has now become a large debt, and they are refusing to issue a police clearance certificate saying i have a criminal record but not specifying what it is!!!!

I didn't declare it on my visa application cos i had no idea i was a "criminal"...

And if they don't specify the "crime", then how do i prove to the DIAC that i'm not some kind of serial killer or something??

What on earth can i do? Please help...feels like my whole world has fallen in :sad:

i would get some proffesional advice , as by sounds of it they may be accusing you of fraud which is a criminal offence sorry but thats all i can see it as being..

Its not the first time and I quess it will not be the last time that expats in the UAE have left owing monies however small for it to come back and bite them in the bum, if you are a Brit. perhaps you may want to contact the British Embassy in the UAE, if they are unable to help ask them for name(s) of a local lawyer (on their list) who will fight your case (for a fee) to at least get your crime in writing ,or full clearence (after paying the dept in full with fines if apply).

A long shot maybe contact UAE Embassy London also....

Good luck my friend, but you will need police clearance for each country you have lived in (unless the rule has changed since I obained PR in 2002)

As others have said you need to get some proffesional advice.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys... I genuinely never thought that not paying a credit card bill worth a poxy few hundred quid would develop into this....

I don't understand how I can have a record, when I've never been arrested, cautioned or anything?

I'm considering paying it, but part of me thinks whats the point if my visa will be denied anyway...

There must be heaps of folk out there who owe thousands, what happens to them?

At the moment, I'm not sure whether to email my CO and explain all, honesty being the best policy, and see what they say or contact the bank/embassy etc as you guys have advised.

Oh god...I never saw this coming. :arghh:

Get in touch with whomever you owe the money too, arrange a payment plan if they agree to it then get them to send you it in writing and see if this will satisfy the police check/DIAC

You sure that the failed check is for the money?

I have heard of people who have alot more debt than you could shake a stick at....and moved over here with no dramas.

i reckon you need to find out exactly what you failed the police check for.

HG

Hi there

Please take a deep breath and calm down. It is very highly unlikely that this matter would prevent you from getting a visa.

This sounds to me as if there is some sort of Islamic/sharia type law in the UAE that says, "It is a sin to leave a debt unpaid." My guess is that something out of the Koran has been enacted into the domestic law of the UAE. Setting up the Law so that a debt is a criminal offence might be quite a useful idea in that neck of the woods, I would guess. It would deter the citizens from killing each other over unpaid debts, after all!

Was it a civil debt or was it a fine because of something like an unpaid TV licence type of idea?

To be refused a visa, DIAC would have to be convinced that you are a person of Bad Character under Section 501 of the Migration Act 1958. I'm a lawyer by trade. I've come across some seriously Bad Characters in my time. None of them would panic and worry on an Internet forum about an unpaid debt, I assure you! My lot would be more likely to try to claim that robbing a bank is really only a civil matter because the only real loss is that the bank has lost a couple of million quid. Trying to explain that Society thinks it is a bit antisocial and not in the public interest to go around robbing banks, hence it is a criminal matter, tends to attract a retort along the lines that if I'm right then the Law is an ass and a Bachelor, as they say.

Offend them personally and that is Another Matter, I gathered one day, when one of them phoned me in a heck of a paddy. This guy was a well known getaway driver anyway, plus he'd been sentenced to 3 years in the slammer for armed robbery at one stage. He was LIVID. Somebody had snuck into his house and stolen his TV the night before, he huffed. I murmured gently, "This TV? Was it a mite on the warm side, perchance?" He screeched, "THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!" Oh. OK, then.

So please relax and tell me what the debt is about. I'm sure we can devise something for you to say to DIAC. It only requires a bit of common sense, I assure you.

Cheers

Gill

Hi there

Please take a deep breath and calm down. It is very highly unlikely that this matter would prevent you from getting a visa.

This sounds to me as if there is some sort of Islamic/sharia type law in the UAE that says, "It is a sin to leave a debt unpaid." My guess is that something out of the Koran has been enacted into the domestic law of the UAE. Setting up the Law so that a debt is a criminal offence might be quite a useful idea in that neck of the woods, I would guess. It would deter the citizens from killing each other over unpaid debts, after all!

Was it a civil debt or was it a fine because of something like an unpaid TV licence type of idea?

To be refused a visa, DIAC would have to be convinced that you are a person of Bad Character under Section 501 of the Migration Act 1958. I'm a lawyer by trade. I've come across some seriously Bad Characters in my time. None of them would panic and worry on an Internet forum about an unpaid debt, I assure you! My lot would be more likely to try to claim that robbing a bank is really only a civil matter because the only real loss is that the bank has lost a couple of million quid. Trying to explain that Society thinks it is a bit antisocial and not in the public interest to go around robbing banks, hence it is a criminal matter, tends to attract a retort along the lines that if I'm right then the Law is an ass and a Bachelor, as they say.

Offend them personally and that is Another Matter, I gathered one day, when one of them phoned me in a heck of a paddy. This guy was a well known getaway driver anyway, plus he'd been sentenced to 3 years in the slammer for armed robbery at one stage. He was LIVID. Somebody had snuck into his house and stolen his TV the night before, he huffed. I murmured gently, "This TV? Was it a mite on the warm side, perchance?" He screeched, "THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!" Oh. OK, then.

So please relax and tell me what the debt is about. I'm sure we can devise something for you to say to DIAC. It only requires a bit of common sense, I assure you.

Cheers

Gill

Im not the origional poster but i would just like to say a huge thanks to Gill for all of the excellent honest and in depth posts which help us all. Time and time again Gill pops up with clear and presise answers and spends a lot of time writing them.

Many thanks Gill :notworthy:

Im not the origional poster but i would just like to say a huge thanks to Gill for all of the excellent honest and in depth posts which help us all. Time and time again Gill pops up with clear and presise answers and spends a lot of time writing them.

Many thanks Gill :notworthy:

A proper legend.....:notworthy::notworthy:

HG

Hellllooo my dearest and Laziest Cow

How the very devil are you? I have not seen you around on the forums for quite a while - but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right Cowsheds?

Big hugs

Gill

xx

Maybe you just weren't looking low enough (haha?!)

I've become a bit of a lurker :shocked: but every now and then I just cannot contain myself and I just have to post! I'm over in England at the moment and everything seems soooo cheap, beautiful but perhaps a little tired. My daughter is homesick and my son is out partying with kids he hasn't seen since he was young.

Anymoo, how are you? Still being fantastic obv. I hope you realise how much you are valued on this site (and others) you wonderful woman you :wubclub: And no bull, I mean it :cute:

Lurve, LC xx

Guest moonraker1959
Thanks for the advice guys... I genuinely never thought that not paying a credit card bill worth a poxy few hundred quid would develop into this....

I don't understand how I can have a record, when I've never been arrested, cautioned or anything?

I'm considering paying it, but part of me thinks whats the point if my visa will be denied anyway...

There must be heaps of folk out there who owe thousands, what happens to them?

At the moment, I'm not sure whether to email my CO and explain all, honesty being the best policy, and see what they say or contact the bank/embassy etc as you guys have advised.

Oh god...I never saw this coming. :arghh:

I would still consider paying it.Can you honestly say that if you don't,you'd be able to live with it?

Hi there

Cheers

Gill

Thanks very much for your help, I've PM'd you in reply. :notworthy:

Hi there

Cheers

Gill

Thanks very much for your help, I've PM'd you in reply. :notworthy: