cost of living (who cares)

chrisfen46

Well iam fed up with reading all the negative threads on cost of living. i am not botherd how much more a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is going to cost me, we pay for over priced petrol here in the uk along with all the other daily stuff we keep buying without complaint. as usual here in the uk people tend to like to moan about everything but are not prepared to do anything about it.. i lived and worked in malta on £400 per month family of 4 how did i manage well you have to forget about the uk for a start, start to live like a local shop like a local , thats how. I am moving to oz because i love there no nonsense aproach to life ther laid back attitude and the fact that they call a spade a spade and get on with it like or not.. Cant see the point in moving half way around the world to turn it into a little britain.. sorry to offend but this is my view my opinoin, RANT OVER:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well iam fed up with reading all the negative threads on cost of living. i am not botherd how much more a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is going to cost me, we pay for over priced petrol here in the uk along with all the other daily stuff we keep buying with out complaint. as usual here in the uk people tend to like to moan about everything but are not prepared to do anything about it.. i lived and worked in malta on £400 per month family of 4 how did i manage well you have to forget about the uk for a start, start to live like a local shop like a local , thats how. I am moving to oz because i love there no nonsense aproach to life ther laid back attitude and the fact that they call a spade a spade and get on with it like or not.. Cant see the point in moving half way around the world to turn it into a little britain.. sorry to offend but this is my view my oppinoin, RANT OVER:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Easy to say when you're still living in the UK with all the choice and competition there is here. I moved to Australia in 2005 and came back in 2010. The cost of living was pretty reasonable when I first moved there and we were very fortunate to not have a big mortgage when we bought our first house there. The cost of living has increased so much since then and it is now a very expensive place to live in my opinion. We didn't come back to the UK for financial reasons at all - we just thought it was a lovely place but not forever! Having been back in the Uk for 12 months we feel we're glad we tried it but very glad we came back.

I think the positive and negative discussions are necessary for people who are moving over so they are not in for any nasty shocks. I'm sure lots of people are prepared to have a higher cost of living but others may not be. Don't want to start a positive and negative argument - JUST MY OPINION having lived there for 5 years.

Easy to say when you're still living in the UK with all the choice and competition there is here. I moved to Australia in 2005 and came back in 2010. The cost of living was pretty reasonable when I first moved there and we were very fortunate to not have a big mortgage when we bought our first house there. The cost of living has increased so much since then and it is now a very expensive place to live in my opinion. We didn't come back to the UK for financial reasons at all - we just thought it was a lovely place but not forever! Having been back in the Uk for 12 months we feel we're glad we tried it but very glad we came back.

I think the positive and negative discussions are necessary for people who are moving over so they are not in for any nasty shocks. I'm sure lots of people are prepared to have a higher cost of living but others may not be. Don't want to start a positive and negative argument - JUST MY OPINION having lived there for 5 years.

yes i know its easy for me to say while iam still here in the uk, but i know for a fact i wont be any worse off, i have not just decided to move my family out there on a whim. its been 4 yrs in the process, alot of home work has been done , just get fed up with all the negatives , a positive attitude brings positive rewards..

yes i know its easy for me to say while iam still here in the uk, but i know for a fact i wont be any worse off, i have not just decided to move my family out there on a whim. its been 4 yrs in the process, alot of home work has been done , just get fed up with all the negatives , a positive attitude brings positive rewards..

I don't think anyone moves out there on a whim. It took us 3 years from decision to go for it to actually getting there on a permanent residency visa. I have a very positive attitude too and I am a firm believer in people having as much information as possible before they go out there. I get fed up with the "rose tinted glasses" brigade. It's a wonderful place to live but people also need to know some of the negative stuff too. It's a life decision people are making and a balanced picture is needed. I would tell anyone to go for it if they can - we had a great experience and would never regret it for a second. We have Aussie citizenship and Aussie passports so we will be visiting our family out there quite often I'm sure. Good luck with your move and enjoy the ride.

Well iam fed up with reading all the negative threads on cost of living. i am not botherd how much more a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is going to cost me, we pay for over priced petrol here in the uk along with all the other daily stuff we keep buying without complaint. as usual here in the uk people tend to like to moan about everything but are not prepared to do anything about it.. i lived and worked in malta on £400 per month family of 4 how did i manage well you have to forget about the uk for a start, start to live like a local shop like a local , thats how. I am moving to oz because i love there no nonsense aproach to life ther laid back attitude and the fact that they call a spade a spade and get on with it like or not.. Cant see the point in moving half way around the world to turn it into a little britain.. sorry to offend but this is my view my opinoin, RANT OVER:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well said :notworthy:

Yes Aus has got more expensive in the last 5 years but so has the UK.

If you do your research you will know if its workable for you and your family.

Good luck with everyone making the move over this year and with a positive attitude im sure it will work out fine.

Guest tilly
Well iam fed up with reading all the negative threads on cost of living. i am not botherd how much more a pint of milk or a loaf of bread is going to cost me, we pay for over priced petrol here in the uk along with all the other daily stuff we keep buying without complaint. as usual here in the uk people tend to like to moan about everything but are not prepared to do anything about it.. i lived and worked in malta on £400 per month family of 4 how did i manage well you have to forget about the uk for a start, start to live like a local shop like a local , thats how. I am moving to oz because i love there no nonsense aproach to life ther laid back attitude and the fact that they call a spade a spade and get on with it like or not.. Cant see the point in moving half way around the world to turn it into a little britain.. sorry to offend but this is my view my opinoin, RANT OVER:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

well said mate - totally agree with you! i'm so sick of hearing how you cant afford this and that, you know what thats them, not me. we have lived in the uk on 600 pound a month for a family of 5 - 2 of them were still in nappies at the time! we managed on that when most people told us it was impossible, how did we do it, we budgeted for everything. i think people spend too much time looking back at the uk with those rose tinted glasses on! you can't go over to australia and expect to have the same over there in a week that took you 20 odd years to build up in the uk, its not possible and it wont happen. i'm moving to oz because i prefer their attitude to life in general and the fact that there are more opportunities for my kids as they grow up out there. not because i expect everything to be cheaper out there!! the way we are looking at it is everything in oz is going to be the same as it is here, only with funny looking money and better weather!!

Guest moonraker1959

I'm with Mini 2005 on this issue.Sometimes a positive attitude just is'nt enough to pay the bills I'm afraid.I get the impression that some people think no one struggles in Australia.All of my mates are aussies,not immigrants,and some are truly struggling.One friend of mine had her electricity cut off for 3 weeks because she had no money to pay the bill.Another has had to live with a delapidated hot water service for the last 3 years because they can't afford to replace it.Of course there are people also in the UK that are struggling,but I'm just trying to make a point that not everyone lives in a 4 bed new build with a swimming pool.My mates are what you would call the good old aussie battler.Yes they all work as well.

I'm with Mini 2005 on this issue.Sometimes a positive attitude just is'nt enough to pay the bills I'm afraid.I get the impression that some people think no one struggles in Australia.All of my mates are aussies,not immigrants,and some are truly struggling.One friend of mine had her electricity cut off for 3 weeks because she had no money to pay the bill.Another has had to live with a delapidated hot water service for the last 3 years because they can't afford to replace it.Of course there are people also in the UK that are struggling,but I'm just trying to make a point that not everyone lives in a 4 bed new build with a swimming pool.My mates are what you would call the good old aussie battler.Yes they all work as well.

there was no mention of a 4 bed house with swimming pool in my post not going there for that dont have it hear. i dont have any intentions on buying plan on renting, thats the uk mentality creeping in where you have to have the big house the pool and the 4x4 .

Well said sir, you can't beat a positive attitude! But then again you would know this as you live in Crewe.

Research is great and there have been many that have" researched " and then you see a post on here saying "I moved south but why is all my line of work in the North?" and "I am going back as there are no english pubs along the beach from Semaphore to Brighton"

Its gone up everywhere yes and if you live within your means you get by. Just hope your trade/job is one of the few over here that are still booming and not going very quiet like construction or engineering as every week you see in the "local" papers job losses.

Not having a go at the positive attitude as thats the main thing to make it here but be very careful as there are many here who would love to see and remind you if things did not go as researched.

finally as a ps, i love it here, i work hard, i earn well but i don't have all this untold wealth that many come here expecting with them rosey sun glasses on

You cut your cloth accordingly out here, some weeks when the bills come in you have to tighten the wallet a bit the other weeks you may that bit of spare cash to maybe get some wine/takeaway/cinema or whatever.

there are good times and there are bad times if life was a bed of roses all the time then i reckon it would be as boring as hell, We love it here its a bit cold right now but what i do knoe is that when it warms up its going to last for 6/7 months not the usual 2 weeks like back in the UK.

In the summer our dinners are like Salad - grown in our garden, meat n snags and stuff from shops chucked on the bbq...now thats what you call living....well in my eyes anyhow.

HG

Guest bishop3912

Good post, although unfortunately a lot of people do care about the current cost of living out here.

For many it may be the final decision as to whether or not they can actually afford to live here, rather than just about survive each week, everybody has differing ideas on what type of life they are looking for. I think its great that people are honest and upfront about the current living costs here, albeit every family differs in what their outgoings are, but a rough guide can be really helpful. Yes you do cut your cloth to live but boy does stretching your money out each week to make ends meet sometimes get you down.

Many people base their cost of living figures on their reccie trips which for many was a while ago, definately in the last 18 months the cost of living here has gone up considerably, and some also underestimate setting up costs. Jobs although portrayed as plentiful are not in most usual areas of work, and I know people that have gone for job interviews expecting the advertised salary only to find that this is not the case and that it is indeed lower. Yes life can be really great out here but it can also be yucky, especially when its cold and your house has no form of heating!! rugging up does not always make you warm!! and boy does it rain here!! I feel like I have webbed feet at the mo lol, cant wait for the warm weather to come :-) like most people say, same **** different bucket lol. House prices have also risen considerably (albeit stagnant at the mo) but subsequently rental prices have risen, dont be fooled by cheap rentals on the net, they are normally cheap for a reason (IMO) and yes I did look at many!!!

IMHO giving people as much information to help them make their decisions is a great thing, and also will stop alot of people going into shock (lol) when they start living here. Thats what this site is all about, providing as much information as possible, good and bad, to help people either in making their decisions to take the final plunge or help them settle once here etc etc etc.

I have been lucky enough to make friends with both Ozzies and Poms and everyone I know is in the same position, having to make ends meet each week, and yes the Ozzies do moan about the cost of living and the weather lol!!!! well the ones I've met anyways lol

Good luck to all those currently on their visa journey, or about to take the plunge.

Again the above is just my opinion so put the knives away!!!!!

Bishop3912

To be fair I don't think the OP was saying that both sides of the fence should't be discussed. I think he was saying 'look we know that the cost of living has gone up tremendously in the last few years over in Oz - but stop harping on about it!'

In the UK the cost of living has gone up just as much but the down side to it here is that jobs are being lost at a rate and the high street shops are going into administration faster than I have ever known. Energy prices are set to rise by 25% in the near future!!!! Some areas of work have not had a pay rise for 2 years and looks like that may continue and I daren't say anything about the cost of fuel - now that is just taking the p***.

So to sum up and this is just my opinion - anyone who is considering going to Oz please do your homework as you will see from this forum that things on the prices front are not much different, crime rates are about the same but remember one thing you are doing for you and your family if you have one and not the people on the forum.

At the end of the day,it all depends on luck when you get here,much the same as anywhere else.You can come here with Jack Sh..t,touch lucky,meet someone who knows someone,and end up a Millionaire.On the other hand,you may come here confident that it will be a success given your profession,and find there is no work ,or you've got to go through retraining and start at the bottom.Then there are the problems of personality clashes in the workplace,which can lead to disastrous consequences for you and your Family here.Then there is the problem of being unable to settle,which can lead to a short stay here.All of us have different circumstances to contend with,so IMO,

it's a waste of time preaching that it's great here,or it's crap here.Just like anywhere else in the world,it's great for some,OK for others and crap for some others.Luck has a lot to do with it when you migrate IMO.Just give it 100%,you can do no more.;)

At the end of the day,it all depends on luck when you get here,much the same as anywhere else.You can come here with Jack Sh..t,touch lucky,meet someone who knows someone,and end up a Millionaire.On the other hand,you may come here confident that it will be a success given your profession,and find there is no work ,or you've got to go through retraining and start at the bottom.Then there are the problems of personality clashes in the workplace,which can lead to disastrous consequences for you and your Family here.Then there is the problem of being unable to settle,which can lead to a short stay here.All of us have different circumstances to contend with,so IMO,

it's a waste of time preaching that it's great here,or it's crap here.Just like anywhere else in the world,it's great for some,OK for others and crap for some others.Luck has a lot to do with it when you migrate IMO.Just give it 100%,you can do no more.;)

Great post and very true.

If you want to do it you need to give it a go if not you will always think what if.

Good attitude, 100% effort, with a bit of luck and we might just make it work.

• 3 months later...
Guest moonraker1959
there was no mention of a 4 bed house with swimming pool in my post not going there for that dont have it hear. i dont have any intentions on buying plan on renting, thats the uk mentality creeping in where you have to have the big house the pool and the 4x4 .

Sorry but most people I speak to assume everyone in Oz lives in a Mc Mansion or that everyone lives in houses featured like those on Wanted Down Under.I am returning to Adelaide in 2 weeks(spent many years living there)and it will be interesting to see how prices have changed since I was last back not so long ago.