Funds for Adelaide

Guest johnosmad

Guest johnosmad

Hey all,

I just had a question about the funds to take, I know it recommends $30000 but in our case I think that is way too much,

We are a young couple (25 and 26), final stages of visa and looking at moving early October if all goes well. We already have a place to crash for a week or so when we get there through a friend, also have 2 recruitment agencies on board as I worked for one of them up in Brisbane and the other is through a friend I worked with in Brissy and they are confident they can sort me out with work if I give them a month notice.

Other outgoings would only really be rent, furniture and food until we were stable as we are taking nothing but the bags we will be carrying. I think as we have done a year on a WHV and still have bank a/c's, friends, employment references, etc. we would cut out a lot of money/time wasting anyway.

Also we came out here last year on a WHV with about 18k, lived, worked, had fun, paid for the whole visa process and still have change.

Has anyone else went out with less than the $25k plus $5 for each extra person and done o'k?? We were thinking about maybe $10k - $15k to start with and have a bit more ready to transfer if things don't go our way.

Guest Guest75

It might pay to take that amount really or do you have instant access to your funds in the UK?.

Work might not appear instantly,so back up is necessary.

It's a few K's for a bond on a long term rental.

I guess you will need to buy a car?? You will have to spend more $'s than you think to buy anything decent ( have a look online)

Rebuying your wordly goods here can be expensive.Do an inventory of what you have in the house now - down to pots/pans and stuff.It's amazing how it adds up.

Guest johnosmad

To be honest all the funds aren't instantly available and are pretty spread out which is the main reason I am asking, I can get them if I need to but would lose money as some are in shares, I don't want to get rid of them unless I have to,

Guest bishop3912

Hi,I agree with Tyke, personally I think that you will need defo more than $10k-$15k to set yourselves up. Bearing in mind the cost of renting alone, say you get a place for $350 pw, most agents now charge u 3 months rent as the deposit so thats a big chunk of your money gone straight away, then theres getting yourself a car like Tyke said so again another chunk gone, plus you will need to support yourselves until you do find jobs. The job market is very slow here at the moment, despite what any agencies say!!! once you deduct all your usual setting up costs ie, driving licenses etc etc then it will not leave u with very much money at all to survive on. Please also remember that the cost of living has risen out here, especially since your last visit. Good luck.

Guest guest3462

We came out here with $18k in our pockets 2 and a half years ago and set up ok, we also lived off that for the first month until the wages started coming in. We were at the time a family of 4 and bought all our furniture new and 2 second hand cars. Our rent was $330 a week but we paid the deposit and forst 2 months while still in UK so didnt have that to shell out.

It was do able - just, but if you can bring more funds i'd definately recommend it!

Guest Cadas

Hi, if you've backpacker and done the year on 18k you should be ok. This time you're just going to have to keep some if those backpacking principles going until you find work.

I came out three weeks ago, crashed with friends for first two weeks and I'm now in a hotel apartment. So far I've spent less than 2k.

Be wise with shopping, be sensible buying beer in pubs, and look for short term rooms (some really nice double rooms around going at well under 200$ per week.... Demand isn't that great).

And if it all goes wrong, make sure you have return flights booked for a couple of months after you arrive.

Cars can wait, so can long term let's with big bonds, there's no rush.