to IELTS or not to IELTS, that is the question...

Guest MarK Jowett

Guest MarK Jowett

Ok, so for my state sponsorship i'll be applying as 262113 Systems Administrator. On the SA website it says that I need an IELTS score of 6.5 for this, but also says that as a British passport holder i'm expempt from having to provide an IELTS test for scores of 6.5 or below.

So that means I don't need to do the test. Or do I need to do it for the actual visa application on DIAC? I imagine if it gives me extra points it's better to do it just to be on the safe side, or does my SS cover that?!

Thanks

Mark

Guest MarK Jowett

Oh and also, while i'm stuck on the matter - should I take (if i do take) the Academic or General Training IELTS test? Are they any different, i.e. is the academic one more complicated?!

Cheers guys :)

Guest misschatter

my oh had to do the test as a plumber he did the academic test and gained the higest scores of 8.5 overall therefore it gave us 20 points this for us makes up alot of our points and we too are going state sponsored where you are in need of 65 points for the 176 visa, so like helene said it depends on how many point you currently have and wether it would therefore aid your application. hope that helps?

Also The academic test is harder but depends up your occupation as to which test you will have to sit. you can find this information out on the IELTS website.

Guest Thong02

HI Mark,

My husband is also applying under the System Admin sponsorship. We are early stages, have submitted our skilled ass and hope to hear back mid August. Iain has completed the IELTS test which we were recommeded we should do to gain extra points and are now completing the SA questionaire.

Guest MarK Jowett

Thanks guys, excellent help - looks like i'll be brushing up on my english skills which seems a little rediculous, but if it gets you extra points then it must be worth it. The test centre nearest me (sheffield) is charging £115 for the test!!!

Thong02 - can you tell me if your husband took the general or the academic test, as i'm still not sure which one is most applicable?

Thanks

Mark

Guest helene73
Thanks guys, excellent help - looks like i'll be brushing up on my english skills which seems a little rediculous, but if it gets you extra points then it must be worth it. The test centre nearest me (sheffield) is charging £115 for the test!!!

Thong02 - can you tell me if your husband took the general or the academic test, as i'm still not sure which one is most applicable?

Thanks

Mark

Yep that's the same as I have paid, get books, phone apps and do practise online, just practise practise practise the reading section is a killer.

Good luck with it I have a thread going called IELTS advice have a look on there I got some great advice :)

Guest MarK Jowett

Brill thanks Helen(e)!

I will definitely have a look at your thread. I like to think my english language skills are pretty good, however I have a feeling this test will be a different kettle of fish!

Guest helene73
Brill thanks Helen(e)!

I will definitely have a look at your thread. I like to think my english language skills are pretty good, however I have a feeling this test will be a different kettle of fish!

Your right there speaking, listening and writing I am fine with the reading well I think the examiners speak a different language it seems to me that it is designed to trip you up! Maybe as we are English we read too much into it but I find if your nor sure on false or answer not given plump for not given I seem to be doing ok with it now, I sit mine a week on Saturday in York I am doing the general one

Guest MarK Jowett

Good luck! You will have to let me know how you get on. The next one in sheffield is at the end of September for Academic, and November for general so i've got a while yet (once I work out which one to do!)

Guest natmark

I am a project administrator and did the general IELTs. Ironically I have an English degree but did it to get the extra points. Got an 8.5 overall. It's not that bad :-)

Guest helene73
Good luck! You will have to let me know how you get on. The next one in sheffield is at the end of September for Academic, and November for general so i've got a while yet (once I work out which one to do!)

I think you will need the general one give the test centre a call and book your test ASAP the days fill fast!

Guest helene73
thanks helen, is there anyway i can definitely check which one I need?

I am on my phone at the mo so can't send a link, do a google search for IELTS test centres ring them to double check you can't book your test on line you have to send off a application with ID and wait to see if your chosen date is available! :)

Guest misschatter

Good luck if you take the test, Again as Helene said the reading seemed to stump my OH and he got a score of 7.5 first time round, but need 8's in each section to get the highest amount of points he re took the test and managed to get and 8 so all was well, but i also advise to put in a lot of practise (amazon.com sell the books used, cheaper) is does seem silly that as a British citizen you must be made to take the test but its honestly worth the effort for the extra points. (again my oh went to Bristol to sit the test and also paid £115)

Guest MarK Jowett

Looks like £115 is the uniform cost around the country. I've ended up booking for the general exam in Harrogate at the beginning of September as the next one in Sheffield isn't till November!

Wish me luck :)

Guest helene73
Looks like £115 is the uniform cost around the country. I've ended up booking for the general exam in Harrogate at the beginning of September as the next one in Sheffield isn't till November!

Wish me luck :)

Good luck Mark

If you have a iPhone get the Cambridge IELTS app only 59p it's really helpful :)

Guest Thong02

Hi Mark,

Iain took the general test. Like you he is confident with his english and to be honest he did find the test easy. However he did do some revision, just to become more aware of the type of questions they would ask. My advise is, its all about reading the question and reading it again as I think you can make mistakes because you think the question is easy, if you know what I mean? The questions are multipal choice. Hope this helps.

Guest MarK Jowett

Thanks for that, it does help put my mind at ease that i've booked the correct test.

If Iain has any advice for ensuring the ACS skills assesment goes smoothly i'd be glad to receive it :)

Guest kenco

hi not sure if this will help but i was told i had to sit the OET or IELTS test however after paying 450.00 the nursing body has told me if my secondary education was in the uk a STAT DEC is all they need it is somewhat confusing and nobody appears to know the right story yours maybe different as it is a different field ? but worth a try