Visa Application Cost - confused!

Guest MarK Jowett

Guest MarK Jowett

Ok, so I know i'm a while off this part yet, but i was looking at the cost for the 176 visa on the DIAC website and it confused me.

There are two installements to pay, but in the information about the second installment it seems to point to dependants which I don't understand.

"The 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge for dependents aged 18 years or over with less than functional English must be paid before the visa is granted."

Does this mean you only pay the second installement if you have dependants? And what is a dependant, I assumed it was children, but i'd best check it doesn't mean partners as well?!

the mind boggles!

HiWe were confused about this as well when we started out. The 2nd installment is for children or anyone thats dependant on you.I am not sure what your circumstances are but we didnt need to pay the 2nd installment as its just the two of us and we are not dependant on each other financially.Hope this helpsNat & Gaz

Guest MarK Jowett

Ah right, thanks Nat and Gaz!

We are just a couple, i'm the main applicant, but my partner will be working when we go over (however her skills won't be assessed on the visa i don't think).

So I assume this means we only pay the first installment? That would be great :)

Guest bidsandrew

Hi, we are going in on a 176 visa based on my husbands skills so I am actually classed as a dependant although I too will be working when we get there.

Hope this helps

Bridget

Guest charlie&donna
Ok, so I know i'm a while off this part yet, but i was looking at the cost for the 176 visa on the DIAC website and it confused me.

There are two installements to pay, but in the information about the second installment it seems to point to dependants which I don't understand.

"The 2nd instalment of the Visa Application Charge for dependents aged 18 years or over with less than functional English must be paid before the visa is granted."

QUOTE]

Ok now I'm confused.com

So if our dependents are under 18 (as in children) we dont need to pay the second part. However, as my wife is included and over 18 (although doesnt look a day over 21-if she happens to be reading this :) ) but has a good level of English she wouldnt fall under the requirement for the 2nd part either?

Or am I just deluding myself that I may actually save some cash?

Confused of Leeds

Guest MarK Jowett

You also meet the English language threshold of competent if you hold a valid passport from, and are a citizen of, one of the following countries:

• United Kingdom (UK)
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • United States of America (USA)
  • Republic of Ireland.

I would have thought this passes as 'competent' however nowhere seems to mention what competent is!

Guest natmark

We paid one fee of around $2500 and our visa was based on me, my husband and our 2 children. He's English so is classed as having competent English. Hope this helps!

Guest Choksy

Does this mean you only pay the second installement if you have dependants? And what is a dependant, I assumed it was children, but i'd best check it doesn't mean partners as well?!

the mind boggles!

Hey Mark.....relax, dependants means your partner or children aged above 18yrs and they need to go for IELTS test and pass at least with 6 in all modules such as Listening, reading, writing and speaking. However, if you hold passport from UK, Canada, USA, New Zealand, Ireland then no need to do IELTS test. Moreover, 2nd installment will not apply to you if your dependant scores 6 in IELTS or if she holds passport from any one of 5countries mentioned above. Just relax and chill out, i hope 2nd installment wont apply to you.