Poor Ella (our german shepard) - Advice needed

Guest MarK Jowett

Guest MarK Jowett

Hi guys, just when I thought everything was going smoothly a spanner has been thrown in the works!

We have an amazing german shepard called Ella. We will be bringing her to Adelaide with us if we get the visa accepted.

My OH has been totting everything up and sorting everything out regarding the dog migration and the only big problem (other than the cost) is the fact that the nearest quarantine kennel is in Melbourne!

My OH is worried about this as Ella can be a fussy dog and sometimes won't eat in unfamiliar surroundings and has special dietry requiremtents (BARF).

If anyone can help put our minds at ease about this process or offer any advice, it would be greatly received as this could throw the whole immigration into chaos :(

Thanks

Mark

Hi guys, just when I thought everything was going smoothly a spanner has been thrown in the works!

We have an amazing german shepard called Ella. We will be bringing her to Adelaide with us if we get the visa accepted.

My OH has been totting everything up and sorting everything out regarding the dog migration and the only big problem (other than the cost) is the fact that the nearest quarantine kennel is in Melbourne!

My OH is worried about this as Ella can be a fussy dog and sometimes won't eat in unfamiliar surroundings and has special dietry requiremtents (BARF).

If anyone can help put our minds at ease about this process or offer any advice, it would be greatly received as this could throw the whole immigration into chaos :(

Thanks

Mark

Hi we have had a price from a company called Dogtainers who will pick our 2 cats up from Quarentine and fly them to adelaide airport for $275 for the 2 of them Hope this helps with part of your problem !

Guest MarK Jowett

Brilliant, thanks Jimmy - that is a good start - do they have a website? do you know if they offer other services like checking on your dogs whilst in quarantine?

Guest cornish Busdriver

The Melborne quantine center is brilliant.

I was really worried bout our 2 westies as one has a special diet and the other was realy over weight but both are more like kids than dogs.

Our dogs could not have been in better hands, we were always kept up to date on them with pics and regular emails and phone calls.

Our dogs were defo in the best of health when they arrived in adelaide and we were worrying over nothin.

I can definitely recommend Dogtainers. Last year they took care of my dog at their kennels in Adelaide for a week whilst we returned to the UK. They then took care of flying him back to the UK to join us. They were fantastic and although my pampered pooch was not quite himself for a day or two after his arrival in the UK (not surprising) they were great and put my mind at rest throughout the process. My pooch is a Maltese/Bichon who follows me around like a sheep and is a definite lapdog but even he coped with the horrendous journey. They tell me that it's the people that worry more than the dogs.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

There is a company called Petair:

http://www.petairuk.com/?q=meet-vets

The company belongs to three vets and Bob Ghandour is the one that I have swapped e-mails with several times in connection with helping out on another forum. He's a super chap and I have seen several forum posts by him, as well as swapping e-mails with him myself. He won't mind in the least if you contact him simply asking for advice, I promise.

Cheers

Gill

Guest HeatherandPip

Hi

I had all the same concerns bringing Pip out ( a border collie cross, rescue dog, nervous, fussy eater, separation anxiety, hugely attached to me ! ) but all was fine. I used a company called Jetpets who managed the whole thing from blood tests to flights to quarantine. Pricey but worth it.

The quarantine centre is great - dont mind how often you contact them to check up, each dog has a designated carer so they get to trust one person. Pip looked very well when I collected him, and the staff were lovely.

Hi MarkPlease don't worry about a thing your dog will be fine x if you require your GSD to be on a raw diet then you may need to organise this yourself and get it delivered to the quarantine take a look here for stockists: http://www.barfvictoria.com.au in regards to getting your dog from Melbourne to Adelaide you have a number of options:A) drive to Melbourne - it can be done in a day but I would recommend 2 min.B) get a quote from jet pets and dog tainersC) may be a cheaper option - fly to Melbourne collect your dog and fly back with her now I'm not sure on your dates of travel but at the moment a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide is $88 and Adelaide to Melbourne $100 now for a large dog 21kg - 30kg it is $100 for the pet flight so a total of $288I know when we were shipping ours interstate it was going to cost $900 but doing it as above cost us $275.

Thanks for the reassurance Ktee. Do you know of any stockists, or websites for BARF in Adelaide?

Er, you know, you could just google that yourself. A search engine is probably the best source of information for you to use as research. Its honestly a lot quicker for this sort of thing :biggrin: You get a decent list, I just googled 'BARF in Adelaide' and got a decent amount of returns. Link below.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=BARF+in+Adelaide&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest