Beach lifestyle

Guest LynseyB

Guest LynseyB

We were just wondering what kind of beaches there are in Adelaide as we are looking for this lifestyle and have never been before. There doesn't seem to be much mention of beaches online.

I love the beaches around Adelaide. I posted a few pics online here

The pics of beaches were taken around Easter last year in Glenelg. There are other gorgeous spots along the coast for sure. Adelaide is in a gulf so the water is warmer than further down the coast. Makes it much more pleasant IMO. Going to Victor Harbor I found the water much colder and the wind chillier.

Guest MarK Jowett

I visited friends in adelaide last christmas and we spent a few days checking out all the different beaches up and down the coast and I don't think I saw a bad one - it's part of the reason we are trying to immigrate there too :)

Id say the southern beaches are fantastic, nearer the city you go the busier you get eg glenelg , henley beach with bars etc. Further down south the beaches are unspoilt , but remember its not like spain built up with lots of bars with exception of glenelg which is more cosmopolitan with lots of restaurants, but gets busy in summer. My fav spot is between moana and maslin beaches (not the nudest part lol).

Hi Lynsey

Its funny, because when we were going through the visa process, I kept hearing about gorgeous beaches in Queensland and Perth, but didnt seem to mention much about beaches in Adelaide - it was one of my concerns aswell.

Put those worries to rest - I am a total beach person, and the beaches here are just stunning!......Here are a few of my favourites.... Moana, Port Noarlunga, Southport, Henley, Maslins, Brighton...my personal favourite is Silver Sands.. We have miles of gorgeous coastline with soft sand and clear glassy sea with all the blues you can imagine.

Ive got a few photos posted on our website if you want to take a peak!

Sarah x

There are loads of beaches all along the western coastline of Adelaide, and apart from Glenelg they are surprisingly empty. As someone else said, it's not like the Med where there are beach bars and restaurants on the beach - I don't think alcohol is allowed on the beach and there definately aren't rows of beach umbrellas with people all sunbathing to get a tan! Many people only go to the beach to walk the dog, have a stroll along the water's edge, do some fishing or go for a swim. On windy days there will be windsurfers and kite surfers out. Grange beach is generally busy in the morning with everyone going for their morning walk/jog - then pretty empty until late in the day (on hot days) when people come down for a swim and to chill out and watch the sunset after work. Saturday afternoons the beach is busy with nippers from the surf club, and at various other times people will be out training on their boards or taking the surf boats out. It's a wide beach so great for a game of cricket. Schools go down for walks or surf safety lessons too.

However, this isn't really a year round activity as in the winter it is pretty cold, the sand gets sea-weedy and the beach is only really for bracing walks, although some hardy souls swim all year round. Roll on summer, it's seems a long time since the last swim the sea!

Guest Guest5035

However, this isn't really a year round activity as in the winter it is pretty cold, the sand gets sea-weedy and the beach is only really for bracing walks, although some hardy souls swim all year round. Roll on summer, it's seems a long time since the last swim the sea!

well said Anne, so far the replies have not meentioned it gets cold, too cold to swim, and sometimes the beach can be sea weedy, lots of it aswell.

stevo

Guest LynseyB

Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially loved all of the pictures.

Any other info you can give me about Adelaide would be much appreciated.

Glad you liked the pictures Lynsey. Re info, have a read of the forum. There are loads of threads about Adelaide, just a case of having a browse back and seeing what catches your eye.

Its such a broad subject, info about Adelaide, if you want specifics like schools, areas to live, shopping, medical stuff, the section of the forum devoted to those topics will be a starting point I am sure. Have a try then using the search function on here, for specifics to see if something has already been asked and answered (ie a suburb that takes your fancy might already have a few topics on it posted that may be of use to you). And if its not in the search returns, you can always post and ask and I am sure you'll get some answers :)

Also, if you have a read of the Wiki page on Adelaide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide you can learn a fair bit in a condensed format. The page has sub sections in the menu. And if that gives you some ideas for questions to ask here, feel free :)