Do they check

Guest jasongd

Guest jasongd

Hi all

Do the Sate or DIAC check with employers for references or whatever.

What I am trying to say is do we have to let the cat out the bag and tell employers incase the DIAC or State call or write to them

Dont want them to know yet.

Jason

Guest teamV

Yes and No they are going to expect it on headed paper and I think it has to be certified by your solicitor or who ever you use.I think you would be unlucky if they called them ,but if they do,then I don't know what would happen.I think I wrote out what I wanted it to say ,then just got them to copy it .Its a hard one this .

Kev.

Hi Jason

It has been known for DIAC to make random checks with employers in the UK. I recall reading a thread on British Expats about this. Apparently DIAC simply turned up unannounced at the lady's place of work one afternoon. Luckily her manager stuck up for her and said that yes, she worked at that company, he explained what her work-duties were and told DIAC that although he had not known that she intended to emigrate, no law could prevent her from doing so. That was that. The two heavies from DIAC naffed off.

If you have not yet informed your employers and you have good reason for not wanting them to find out about anythng until your visa has been granted, there is no reason why you should not write to DIAC, explaining why you don't want your employers to know about your plans as yet. Applicants from the UK are not High Risk applicants in DIAC's eyes so there is no reason why they shouldn't accept your request for privacy vis-a-vis your employers. You could always include a couple of recent pay-slips with your letter, in order to prove that you are an employee of Bloggs & Co.

That said, DIAC do normally expect the visa applicant's description of his work-duties to be backed up by a letter from his employer confirming the work-duties. How do you propose to deal with that bit, please? Is your salary high enough (as shown in your pay-slips) to prove that you clearly aren't being employed as the Office Junior?

Cheers

Gill

Guest jasongd

Hi,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply,

The comment is for my my wife she is a State Registered Senior Hairdresser and has a big fancy certificate and she does have wage slips but no letter from the employer. She has also worked in Australia as a Hairdresser before so telling them of these three things should be enough.

Cant really afford to be looking for new jobs at this stage.

Jason

Guest leeannekays

My OH had to let a letter from his employer on headed paper, he was upfront with his employer (which really concerned me as thought he mmay get the sack) but his employer was fine with it and said anything he needs then let him know!.

Leeanne x

Guest Becster19

I lodged on the 1st July and I had to get a comprehensive reference from my employer, dated and on headed paper. I really can't see how you will avoid telling them by this stage. Sorry.

Guest jasongd

Well,

You obviously have a great employer or have enough money in the bank that you dont need a job.

We need our jobs right to the last and when we have a visa we will tell them but to be let go even before we have the visa would not be to our advantage.

Remember everyones circumstances are not the same and not all employers are the same.

Out of curiosity why a 175, This is very uncommon now and so many people have logged a 175 only to change to a 176 a few years down the line as the 176 is a priority and 175 is left to the last.

Jason

I'm with becci on this one you will have to get an employers reference. My husband had to get a few from a couple of employers but they were needed. As for what visa people are applying for as you say everyones circumstances are different we have our 176 because that was the one our agent recommended. Others will probably be recommended different.

Guest Becster19
Well,

You obviously have a great employer or have enough money in the bank that you dont need a job.

We need our jobs right to the last and when we have a visa we will tell them but to be let go even before we have the visa would not be to our advantage.

Remember everyones circumstances are not the same and not all employers are the same.

Out of curiosity why a 175, This is very uncommon now and so many people have logged a 175 only to change to a 176 a few years down the line as the 176 is a priority and 175 is left to the last.

Jason

I think that reply was totally unnecessary. I was offering you my experience as due to the fact that I had lodged so recently, I thought that it may be helpful. Im not sure why you think that this justifies you passing judgement on me, my work or the decisions that we have made. I'm not sure how you read my post as rude, but you obviously have. You asked for advice and I gave it. No need for anything else.

Personally i think without a reference you will be taking a fuge risk.

Bigger risk than loosing your job, is your boss really going to sack you, and if they are then sod them and get another job.

If you word it like we are thinking, takes 3-5 years blah, blah, blah, then its not short term.

Your boss will probably show some interest in it and will be more than happy to help out.

Well,

Jason

we originaly applied for 175 back in 2008 after talking to our agent, changed app in jan this year we now have our visas, we have got them through nic my wife who is also a hairdresser.looking back now we should have gone for the 176 in 2008 we would have been there now . still we got to where we wanted to be in the end..

Guest jasongd

Hi,

I am glad you seen that as that was my POINT I knew someone would comment back just so I could highlight my point

We are all different and what suits one does not suit another,

Thanks Jason

Guest jasongd

Hi,

That reply is in no way rude, To the point but not rude.

This is a faceless forum and in no should people be taking comments to heart or personally.

My employer would let me go and it would be hard for me to get another job on the same salary and I am heavily relying on it to save money up.

If you read Gollywoblers point he has given really good advice ( he is a legal eagle after all).

I know of people who have not had to get references and was wanting to know advice on that.

Maybe I worded my question wrong.

Thanks Jason

Hi,

That reply is in no way rude, To the point but not rude.

This is a faceless forum and in no should people be taking comments to heart or personally.

My employer would let me go and it would be hard for me to get another job on the same salary and I am heavily relying on it to save money up.

If you read Gollywoblers point he has given really good advice ( he is a legal eagle after all).

I know of people who have not had to get references and was wanting to know advice on that.

Maybe I worded my question wrong.

Thanks Jason

lol wouldnt worry about it mate i have managed to upset a few on here with some of my threads..

Guest Mrs & Mrs T

I'm sure your situation is different but surely your employer can't sack you for requesting a reference, if you do need to ask why don't you say it's for personal financial purposes like a mortgage or something, they need never know the real reason until you hand in your notice.

I got a reference from my boss just before I applied and basically wrote it myself (my boss was very trusting) but I didn't specify whole what the referece was for so I can still use it for jobs in the future. Just a thought.

Sarah

Best of luck x

Guest Adelaide_bound

I don't know if this helps at all - I got a statement written by my last employer, which still counts for the '12 months within the last 24 months' (I have only worked at my current school since Sept 2010), and sent that for SS. For my 176 I am going to send the same letter from the old school, and my contract from my new school along with 11 months of payslips (since I worked there until current). The contract states my main duties, my payscale point and annual amount, that it's full time and perm. etc etc.

I also do not want to tell my employer - I am not worried about getting the sack (its not easy to sack a teacher after all just like that) but I am worried about my vindictive old bag of a headteacher making my life a living hell - my school is sh*te enough without any more goings on, I could be put on capabilities (you don't want to know) and have all sorts of hell to go through, and I'm sure that my head would as she is just an evil bi*ch basically.

If DIAC do contact them, obviously it will all come out I'm sure, but seeing as most people don't get contacted hopefully this won't be an issue - and if it is, then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it....

Good luck :)

Guest jasongd

Hi,

I love your reply.

I wish I had an employer like some of the posters who said they were cool about it, But I am like you an would be crucified and pushed out the door.

I am in sales and do earn really good money but if they find out and I am ostracised by the managers I would find it hard to get a job on the same pay which would make it very very hard to save the money needed to immigrate.

Jason