Do we need to tell anyone

Guest soggy

Hi all,

just wondering if we have to inform anyone that we are leaving the country for good (hopfully), going to tell the tax man as I may get something back:biglaugh::skeptical:. but won't anyone ( government types ) miss me if I just vanish?

Simon

You need to let Family Allowance and familt tax credit people know.

We paid for our tv licence by monthly DD and got about GBP40. back when we told them.

We had mail redirected to my Mum's house until we were settled and had an address here.

We also have my Mum's address on our UK driver's Licences.

Oh and if you've got a youngster, don't forget to let Santa know, our youngest (4 at the time) was very concerned about this as we moved over here end of November so Christmas was very much on her mind. :biglaugh:

Check with Family Allowance as I'm sure they only allow you so long out of the country.

http://www.gov.je/SocialSecurity/Social+Benefits/Family+Zone/Family+Allowances/#Part%20Nine

Part Ten - What should you tell us?

You should tell us immediately if:

• you marry or re-marry
  • you are divorced or become permanently separated from your husband or wife by court order, agreement or by desertion;
  • you are reconciled with your husband and are no longer separated from him;
  • you are widowed;
  • you begin to live with a person as a partner
  • the person/s receiving Family Allowance leave/s Jersey:
  • to live abroad permanently, or
  • to stay abroad for any period during which Family Allowance might be due;
  • a child over 16 for whom you are claiming leaves school
  • the structure of your family changes
  • you change address

Also http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/abroad.htm scroll down to

Child Benefit if you are going abroad

Information about Child Benefit if you are going abroad can be found in our information leaflet Child Benefit if you are coming from abroad or going abroad (PDF 131k). It seems if you leave for 12 months plus you are no longer entitled to Child Benefit (family allowance).

Guest dglamoore
You need to let Family Allowance know

Do you need to let Family Allowance know even if you are going on a temporary visa and therefore won't be entitled to the same in Australia?

We are here on a temp visa and asked Family Allowance that question - the answer was as we were leaving uk with the intention to live elsewhere our entitlement stopped so we got nothing from the day we left even though not entitled to it here. They also remined me they were linked to the tax department should I decide not to inform them and just leave :wideeyed: !!!!

Lisa:cute:

When we left nearly two years ago, we were advised that you had to put in writing to DVLA that you were leaving to move abroad even if you did not have a forwarding address. Seems there's a very hefty fine if you don't and they find out! Not sure if it's the same now but didn't want to take the risk:nah:

Guest salisbury massive

Really, why would the DVLA care if you left? We didn't tell them. There is a form from the Tax man you can fill out to say you are leaving the country. You have to put a forwarding address on there.

we just went along the basis of anyone we received money or paid money to was told.

Jo

According to our accountant, the U.K tax people and the Aus tax people are in co-hoots (spelling?) with each other. If one doesn't get you, the other one will.

As we all have to fill out Tax forms here, whether you are self employed or not, its wise to declare everything, otherwise you can find yourself in hot water further down the track.

Sorry for the bad news.

Judi x

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

I was under the impression you could still claim family allowance for 12 months ir the move isn't permanent.

I was considering letting them know I was leaving for no more than 12 months and then possibly returning to the uk. In this situation they have to keep paying the allowance to you.

I will then after 12 months let them know it is my intention to remain in Oz. This means I don't have to do too long in oz without any money!

:idea:

Sorry but by emergrating you're basically turning your back on UK by deciding Australia can provide a beter way of life for you and your family but you still expect them to pay you family allowance?

Yes you could pretend you were returning in less than 12 months but as you know you won't be (why else would you go to all the trouble of Immigration and visa process) but that would be fraud. Seems you want your cake and eat it too. You can't just pick and choose which country you like for which benefits you the best.

Guest cunnah10
Hiya,

I was under the impression you could still claim family allowance for 12 months ir the move isn't permanent.

I was considering letting them know I was leaving for no more than 12 months and then possibly returning to the uk. In this situation they have to keep paying the allowance to you.

I will then after 12 months let them know it is my intention to remain in Oz. This means I don't have to do too long in oz without any money!

:idea:

Hi I was thinking of doing exactly the same!!!My friend did and got away with it!But it's has to be upto the individual if they want to take the risk!I'm panicking coping without my benefit already which comes in so handy with having 4 kids!Believe me it will be missed!

Gill

Tend to agree with BJF on this one. You are deciding that Australia is your new country so why would you want to claim from your old one even if it is hard to begin with financially?

People may think that they've 'got away with it' but as mentioned before certain records are passed between Oz and UK and vice versa so it could take a couple of years before they realise and catch up with you. As you say though depends if you are prepared to take the risk so up to the individual.

Think that DVLA were or are one of the official bodies that you need to inform when you move and that it used to be an offence if you didn't. We weren't sure on the advice so I did telephone DVLA and advised them that I was leaving UK, so how did we stand on not being able to give them a forwarding address as it wasn't in the UK. They then confirmed that I had to put it in writing. We hadn't bothered when we lived in Spain but as we weren't going to being going back to UK so often, did as I was told but again up to the individual and not sure if this still stands anyway.

Guest jamesholmes_@hotmail.com

After reading some of the above threads, i contacted the DVLA via email and this is the response i had.

"As you will no longer be resident in Great Britain, you should contact the Australian Licensing Authorities regarding driving there and/or exchanging your British licences.

Should you exchange your British licences for Australian licences, the Authorities will return your licences to us.

If you return to Great Britain as residents in the future, you will be able to exchange Australian licences back to British licences.

As full licence holders, you should contact one of the following organisations to enquire if you will need to obtain International Driving Permits in order to drive in Australia :-

AA

RAC

GREEN FLAG

National Breakdown Recovery Club.

You do not have to be a member of these organisations to be issued with the IDP. They will also be able to advise you regarding driving abroad.

For further information please contact the AA on the following number:-

08705 500600 or

e-mail them on:- customer.services@theaa.com

or

RAC on

0800 55 00 55 or check their website www.rac.co.uk

Contact details for the other motoring organisations listed above are available from Directory Enquiries and Yellow Pages.

As we know we can already drive in Adelaide by just taking our Licence in i will not be contacting anybody that they mention.

Also we went to our local Inland Revenue Office today and asked them if we needed to do anything for them. They gave us a Form P85 to complete and hand back with our P45. This is only to see if they owe us any money. They said that as far as they are concerned this is the only thing that we need to do and this is only a matter of choice.

Obviously, if claiming any benefits of any kind i woul expect there to be more to be done.

Hope this helps.

Emma and James

Guest katsmajic

Quite a few years ago I went to tunisia for 8mths with my kids, told child benefit - it was basically an extended holiday/to do with university studies etc as it was - they continued to pay me, i informed them i was back etc and had no problems.

However they did say if i was moving to live permenantly i need to inform them as my benefit will stop - but there is/was a 'clause' in that you can be out of the uk for upto 3 mths and still be eligable for child benefit - so in effect you could claim the benefit for 3 mths after you have gone - how you go about telling themthen that you have gone then is your decision etc.

(i got confused - not too hard i must say - cos you can go for 3 mths etc but i went for 8)

a friend gets disability benefit - she jets off here and there all the time - shes told the benefit office and as long as she declares any absense over 6 weeks shes fine - they said she would get the first 6 weeks if she was abroad but any longer they would stop it from the 6th week...

I'll be sending letters to anyone/everyone when i leave - if they dont deal with it im afraid its their problem...

On another note - my electric supplier owes me £130 - advisor told me it could take couple of months to receive my money - so ive canx my dd to them - figure i'll use that much between now and April.