uk or austrailian driving licence

Guest cyprus2001

Guest cyprus2001

Hi there just a quick question whilst sorting my paperwork and change of address etc , i was wondering my uk driving licence can i use this in austrailia im on a 457 temporary 4 year visa or do i need to go to post office and get an austrailian driving licence , can i get an austrailian driving licence if im only on temporary visa? and can i hold both still uk and austrailian.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kelly:smile:

Guest Mitchell

Hiya Kelly

Technically you van just use your UK one for the full four years. As soon as you get PR you have 3 months to get an SA one. however an SA one counts for a lot of points on the 100 point identity checks you do for things like renting houses. You just go into a Service SA branch fill in a form get your pic taken and pay and you're done. And yes you can hold both :)

Guest cbeeb

when we came over 3 years ago on a temp visa you could legally drive on uk driving license(as you temp) we chose to get aussie ones as good for id etc but they do not take uk licence off you. Also they can change the rules ours converted with no need to sit written btest or driving test it can and does change. Check it out when you come over if straight conversion get an aussie one as do know people who had to resit tests. When you get here go to a service centre and ask, they are helpful.

Guest cyprus2001
Hiya Kelly

Technically you van just use your UK one for the full four years. As soon as you get PR you have 3 months to get an SA one. however an SA one counts for a lot of points on the 100 point identity checks you do for things like renting houses. You just go into a Service SA branch fill in a form get your pic taken and pay and you're done. And yes you can hold both :)

that helps heaps thankyou :smile:

Guest jasongd

Hi

I went over on a years working holiday in 2002 and went and sat a test which lasted about 30mins and got an ozzie drivers licence.

I think it cost $100 or so.

Jason

Hiya, We are flying out on the 17th. Just realised my OHs UK photo card for driving licence needs renewing. Do they need to look at these part when applying for an SA licence? or do they only need the paper part. Wondering whether its worth renewing the photo card or not...

Guest mark&rachel
Hiya, We are flying out on the 17th. Just realised my OHs UK photo card for driving licence needs renewing. Do they need to look at these part when applying for an SA licence? or do they only need the paper part. Wondering whether its worth renewing the photo card or not...

Lauren

Yes they do look at it. Apparently a few years ago they werent so clued up but now there is more poms here than aussies they know more. Maybe worth contacting Ezyreg here to see if they will have a certain amount of give on the time period though as its a bit tight otherwise and the DVLA dont do things fast do they. haha