Costs of a reccie?

Guest TH82

Have been thinking about a reccie trip and whether it was worth doing one or not, financially I mean. We are not going to have a lot of spare cash but the thought of going over and sussing out areas, jobs, school etc does appeal. Would anyone mind sharing how much they spent on their reccie trip and whether or not they think that the trip was successful and was money well spent or whether they wish they had saved the money and put it towards their immigration costs?

Many thanks

Tracy x

Guest loopylisa

Hi

I went over at easter it was not a reccie trip per se to scope out schools or anything but a trip to visit my boyfriend. I spent about 900 pounds return on the airfare(flew over easter weekend so was pricey) and then I had about 600 dollars spending money for me as an individual. I didnt have any accommodation costs as was staying with my boyfriend and spent my spending money on things like a 120 dollar sterling silver charm bracelet, entry for me and my boy into cleland wildlife park, gifts, food, wine etc

I dont regret the trip as now I am absolutely sure I want to go back to Adelaide to live. I could have done it cheaper but I wanted to enjoy it as it was the first holiday I had taken overseas in a while and needed a break from my masters

lise x

Hi, we did a 3 week recce back in 2009 as for us it was a must to be sure we were doing the right thing.

Lots do and lots dont do recces and it just depends on how much of a risk you are willing to take.

With 2 young girls and a life changing desicion i just was not prepared to take the risk without seeing things for myself.

All in all we spent about £6-7k, but in my opinion it was money well spent as if we did not like it i would of ended up spending a whole lot more.

Guest snowy10

We are going to do a recce for 4 weeks. I don't think you can put a value in ££££s on the life changing decision that is emigration. I take my hat off to all those that have done it without a recce, but personally as a family I couldn't make the decision without first experiencing the life.

If after the recce you decide to go you spent a bit more money, if you decide not to go you've saved a hell of a lot more than money and had a great holiday as well!

Good luck what ever you decide.