Adelaide v Perth V Brisbane

Guest jasongd

Guest jasongd

Hi All,

Does anyone have experiance on all three Cities.

I know its a personal thing but if I give a little info on us what would suit.

Its me my wife and 5 year old Daughter. I want a quite life and a empty beach is my idea of heaven. I want my Daughter to be able to join clubs like dancing, Taekwondo and the likes. I also want to be able to work close to where I live maybe 30 to 45 minutes from a CBD. I want my wife to be able to work where we live in Hairdressing. We love parks and scenery especially beaches and like them all quite.

The place I have been looking are

Adelaide = Hallett Cove, Nouralunga

Perth = Rockingham, Secret Bay.

Not really looked at Brisbane but is like the above or is it crowed and noisey.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason

Out of the 3 places, the only one I have visited is Perth since that is where my mother and my sister have both settled. My sister Elaine married an Aussie from Perth over 30 years ago now and she has been based in Perth ever since. In their early days together, though, Neil was a Sheep Shearer and Elaine was the Wool Classer for the same shearing team. They spent 6 years on the road, travelling all over Australia. They went to the farms to work and visited the cities and towns whilst they were nearby.

According to Elaine, the main consideration with the different parts of Australia is the climates in the different parts. Australia is so huge that the North of Oz has a typically Tropical climate. Perth has a Mediterranean climate. Melbourne, Hobart and Adelaide are "cold, wet, windy holes" according to Elaine! She's not that fussed about anything apart from the climates and she decided that Perth has the most bearable of the climates from her own point of view, so she and Neil joined his rellies in Perth in the end.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the climate. I live in the UK and I just wrap up and put the CH on when it gets cold. I don't regard it as a Big Deal and I do like the fact that we have four distinct seasons each year.

I don't like Perth, though. Whenever I go there, I feel that Perth really does live up to its reputation of being the most remote and isolated city on the whole of the planet. I've stood on the beaches looking out at the Indian Ocean. I am acutely conscious that there are 3,000 miles of desert behind me and 6,000 miles of ocean in front of me. If you sail due West from Perth, you will pass a long way to the South of the Cape of Good Hope and you will make your landfall in South America because Perth is much further South than the Cape of Good Hope. That makes me (personally) feel acutely conscious and uncomfortable about how remote and isolated Perth really is.

However, I've also been to Sydney. That is another place where you have 3,000 miles of desert behind you and about 4,000 miles of the Pacific Ocean in front of you. Sydney doesn't feel at all remote, though. It feels like San Fransisco is right next door, even though SF is actually quite a long way North of Sydney. I don't think there is anything rational about my own perceptions - I think it is just that I have different peronal, emotional reactions to different places in Oz.

Like most people, though, I don't think I'd be happy in a place where I didn't feel emotionally comfortable. If I were going to move to Oz myself, I'd choose either South Australia or the Northern Territory. SA has everything that I reckon I would be looking for. The NT is frontiersville, which would appeal to my sense of adventure. On balance, I'd probably plump for SA, from where it is not difficult to visit the NT.

Brisbane, from the photos I've seen, is remarkably similar to Benidorm, I always think. What is the point of going to a concrete high rise jungle when there are plenty of those closer to home, I feel? Surfers Paradise is identical to Torremolinos, I reckon.

None of this is rational and I'm the first to admit it. I think maybe my sister Elaine is right and that climate might be the most important consideration, perhaps.

Cheers

Gill

Brisbane, from the photos I've seen, is remarkably similar to Benidorm, I always think. What is the point of going to a concrete high rise jungle when there are plenty of those closer to home, I feel? Surfers Paradise is identical to Torremolinos, I reckon.

there is nothing at all similar between brisbane and surfers to spanish places you mention!!

Guest jasongd

Hi, Gill

As usual excellent reply,

You have made some great points.

I am not sure where the idea of brisbane came from but from a few of your points ie, like Benidorm, then it has just been pushed striaght back out.

I dont know what it is maybe the fact I am not a lover of crowds and the idea of going to a beach and the feeling of being remote and cut off really appeals to me and my wife.

I think the idea of being next to a big city but being able to live in a quite town near a beach and raise my Daughter safley does tick some boxes.

Adelaide I think appeals due to the comments of being 20 years behind.

I lived in Kiama and it was spectacular with amazing beaches as far as the eye could see and some days me and my wife were the only people to be seen, But it is 120k south of Sydney and there was no work, I would love to live in a small town with beautiful beaches near a city for work that has a lot going on community wise like clubs and groups for my Daughter.

It might be this place does not exist and is my own Utopia but the search continues.

Thanks so much for you reply it has focused me again on SA or WA.

Jason

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Hi, Gill

As usual excellent reply,

You have made some great points.

I am not sure where the idea of brisbane came from but from a few of your points ie, like Benidorm, then it has just been pushed striaght back out.

I dont know what it is maybe the fact I am not a lover of crowds and the idea of going to a beach and the feeling of being remote and cut off really appeals to me and my wife.

I think the idea of being next to a big city but being able to live in a quite town near a beach and raise my Daughter safley does tick some boxes.

Adelaide I think appeals due to the comments of being 20 years behind.

I lived in Kiama and it was spectacular with amazing beaches as far as the eye could see and some days me and my wife were the only people to be seen, But it is 120k south of Sydney and there was no work, I would love to live in a small town with beautiful beaches near a city for work that has a lot going on community wise like clubs and groups for my Daughter.

It might be this place does not exist and is my own Utopia but the search continues.

Thanks so much for you reply it has focused me again on SA or WA.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I just wanted to say that we have a 6 year old and a 4 year old and we are looking for the same as you basically. For us, SA seems to fit the bill perfectly. I did a lot of research into WA as well but it never had the appeal for us that SA has, it just didn't feel right somehow.

Guest jasongd

Hi,

Thanks for that,

It is such a huge decision.

I spoke to my Mum who said she has been to most of Australia ( not SA) and the only place she felt safe was Perth.

I had settled on on SA until that comment

Jason

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Hi,

Thanks for that,

It is such a huge decision.

I spoke to my Mum who said she has been to most of Australia ( not SA) and the only place she felt safe was Perth.

I had settled on on SA until that comment

Jason

That's the problem with all this researching, everyone's got an opinion and we are all different. There is always someone who will have a different view on things. Lots of people love Perth, lots don't. Lots love SA, lots don't. We are looking at the Aldinga Beach area and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but you just have to weigh everything up and go with what suits you, not anyone else.

If somewhere "feels right" then give it a go, if it doesn't feel right then you're at a disadvantage before you even get there, IMO.

It's like booking holidays - If you read trip advisor you'd never go anywhere :goofy:

You cant be serious.........basing a life choice on a forum view!!!!!!!!!!.

Im not going to tell you where to go, not my job , THATS YOURS...but hey that statement above is ridiculous

I havent found anywhere like a spanish resort here and ive been a few places!!

Guest Chris_J

I didn't find Brisbane like a Spanish resort at all. Liz didn't like it very much, all she said is "it's brown". I also never felt isolated in Perth, whatsoever. Granted we only spent a week there, but there was plenty to see and do and it has everything you should need. There were a couple of places in Perth we didn't like the look of, but we only went North. Kinross was very nice, but almost as far North as you can go in Perth, and Joondalup was nice too.

Never visited Adelaide so can't comment, as the objective was to compare Perth and Brisbane.

Guest guest3462

South Australia is a wonderful place for a young family.There is much to discover and explore in the state and the camping and outdoors lifestyle is amazing. We live in Aldinga Beach, its about an hour south from the CBD, but my OH works in the city and the drive is comfortable. Here we have long stretches of golden sandy beaches with safe (apart form the odd great white shark) swimming waters that quite often you can be the only ones on them, in summer they do get busy as some are drive on beaches but this adds to the charm of the place. There are sports and social clubs galore and the local schools are all decent enough. At this time we couldn't think of living anywhere else, we feel safe in our home, and don't worry too much if we go out and forget to lock the door (happened a few times). Adelaide as a city is quaint and olde style with a modern twist. I like it. It's small and friendly and you cant really get too far lost as its set out in grids (just keep turning right and you'll end up at the start lol!)

Brisbane for me is fabulous - as a holiday resort. I have always loved QLD and have visited for years before moving here to live. In fact pre kids we thought of moving there to a place called Scarborough just north of the city, but now we have the girls it just doesn't have the same "comfortable" feel that Adelaide has. Adelaide for me is like pulling on my favourite slobby trackpants, i'm just allowed to be me and no one cares if I havent dressed for dinner or got a full face of make up.

Perth is lovely, but you do get the feeling of acute isolation. We have family there and so we will always have ties to the city, but it again never really feels quite right as if we know we are not where we belong.

Having said that I'm a firm believer that Adelaide chose us! We came here for 4 days (I was on a post grad uni exchange in Perth) 4 years ago to visit our best friends, we fell in love by day 2 and by the end of day 3 we had a job and bought land!!! If we had our time again, i'm cvertain we'd stick with SA.

I'm definately part of the i'm loving it crew and totally agree with the saying that SA is HEAPS GOOD!! :-)

Guest jasongd

Hi Smit,

I agree with you making your own mind up.

I have always said Perth or Adelaide, Brissie was just a thought.

I love Spain so being told it is like Spain is not going to put me off, Its the idea of over crowded and costly I dont like. There comments on sites like this and the prices quoted have put me off also looking at the real estate website and job sites at salary's.

Brissie was a fleeting notion just thought I would ask the question and see what was said.

Thanks Jason

Guest Jennet

Hi

I am looking at adelaide i went their 10 years ago and i have a lot of friends in adelaide, some emigrated their in last year strangely people who i know do not know each other and both families have settled in Hallet cove that is where i am looking as it is close to schools, shops and a new shopping mall, a conservation area which is up my street but the beach is apparently rocky but there are many beaches close by plus there seems to be good activities for the kids and family. I also know people in seaford close to moana beach which is also a nice beach with a surf club. My husband is from Perth 'rockingham'. He wants to go back their, we were going for Perth to start with but looking deeply in to the best state for all the family adelaide looks the better option. perth is very expensive to live there now compared to SA and to start from scratch i feel we wouldn't be able to afford a better life style in Perth as we would in SA. My friends tell me all the time that SA get similar weather as Perth and SA is more laid back.

Guest Jennet

Hope it helps, but when you have to compare a family life style we have to look deeper into things, my kids are so different in age and i had to compare lots of things to suit everyone and my career. I don't plan moving to the other side of the world to live paying out on mortgage, bills etc and i felt that would happen in Perth more than SA. the education side of things seem to be really improving in SA and i am fortunate that i know people in Perth and Adelaide. but all you have to do is look at the map and you can see the distance between states it would cost more to go on holiday living in perth than it would living in SA from SA you can drive down the great ocean road which is fab and head in to Melbourne/ Victoria which is also a nice place i met my great aunty in Victoria. I have been researching and sorting this for over two years and believe me kept changing my mind but its now made up after good research.:smile: Good luck

Guest Dazzlin

Hi.

We toured Oz at the end of 2009 to compare the options before deciding to pursue a visa, and visited all three.

We started in Perth and LOVED it. Kings Park is beautiful, the city looks amazing and they are doing a great job of blending new and old architecture. We tried to experience public transport wherever we went and, notably, were getting a train back from Freemantle to Perth one evening when about 20 teenagers got on who were clearly going out for the evening. I have to say, they behaved impeccably and some of the girls came over to talk to our two kids (who were 1 and 3 at the time). We found this typical of Perth and consider it to be safe and friendly. However, we found Perth closed at 6pm most nights - literally everyone goes home. If you're fond of nights out, I didn't see much evidence of there being a 'scene'. If you don't mind foregoing this, then I would be happy to recommend it to you. Everybody drives old cars - what's that about? If you're involved in mining, you can make a fortune there!

Adelaide, by comparison, is a much bigger city and the suburbs are vast. People seemed to be more affluent. Its blessed with the hills to the east, the ocean to the west and the outback to the north. It also benefits from the same Mediterranean climate as Perth. Whilst we never felt threatened or intimidated, the city did not feel as friendly as Perth. We were staying on King William Street in the city centre and were kept awake with loud music, revving engines and screaching tyres. However, you have to expect bigger cities to be more 'lively' and it has considerably more to offer. I also believe there are more employers in and around Adelaide than Perth and Brisbane.

Brisbane is not at all like Benidorm. It's a modern, well-planned city. It seemed smaller than Adelaide. I was very impressed with its transport - I got a bus one evening into the city and was surprised that it went most of the way via bus-only tunnels and bridges, although the main west coast motorway branches through the city. The south bank street beach is amazing. Like Perth, we found it very friendly and welcoming, but unlike Perth it stays alive in the evenings. The climate is more consistent than Adelaide and Perth, and you have the luxury of the Gold Coast to the south, Sunshine Coast to the north and it is surrounded by national parks. Unlike Perth and Adelaide, the city is some further from the coast, and the ocean really hammers the beaches.

We returned to the UK of the view that we would happily move to any of them. As it happens, SA proved to be our only option (due to changes to the SOL) and we're moving there within the next six months! We've no problem with that and can't wait - after all, we don't intend to live in the city.

Adelaide, by comparison, is a much bigger city and the suburbs are vast...

Whilst we never felt threatened or intimidated, the city did not feel as friendly as Perth. We were staying on King William Street in the city centre and were kept awake with loud music, revving engines and screaching tyres. However, you have to expect bigger cities to be more 'lively' and it has considerably more to offer. I also believe there are more employers in and around Adelaide than Perth and Brisbane.

Brisbane is not at all like Benidorm. It's a modern, well-planned city. It seemed smaller than Adelaide.

Reading this thread I've been really surprised about some of the descriptions of these three places. Adelaide feels far smaller to me than either Perth or Brisbane, and it's a bit cringing how rundown its CBD is in comparison (replace that with 'quaint' if you want a positive slant). Adelaide's suburbs do spread out much further than you'd expect for a city with a modest population (by far the smallest of the three in population terms), but this says something about how unplanned its development has been.

All three have their attractions and quite a different feel to them. Perth's isolation doesn't bother me, and on a practical basis I don't think it matters. Paying a hundred dollars or so more for a flight and spending a bit longer in the air wouldn't put me off holidaying to other parts of Aus. Being set on a river, Brisbane doesn't have a beach (well, not a real one), but there are plenty close by and many are deserted.

Jim

Guest jasongd

Hi All,

This thread could have been some sort of social experiment with the contrasting views on the same thing.

The good thing about these forums for me is you get little snippets of info that you use to build a picture that suits you.

In the UK my wife works in Hairdressing and she would work late maybe 2 nights and all day Saturday, It is being said that Perth closes at 6 pm and 12 noon on a Saturday. For us that is ideal due to it restricting potential hours.

Thanks for all the opinions,

Jason

Reading some of the responses on here, I don't recognise the Adelaide I know from the descriptions at all!!

Personally I would say Adelaide has a mediterranean climate: similar in a lot of ways to the Spanish clilmate with perhaps slightly higher temps in the summer, and not quite as cold in the winters! Also, me and my friends are always laughing about how restaurants here are stacking chairs on the tables at 9pm rather than staying open late. The only exceptions we've found have been in places right in the middle of the city - definitely not in the suburbs. A few of us went to Ned Kelly's in North Adelaide (quite a lively, buzzing part of town) and finished our main courses at about 9:15...then ccouldn't have coffee as they'd turned the machine off, and couldn't have dessert as the chef had gone home!!

Shops on Sundays don't open till 11am, and close at 5pm.

As for size of place - Adelaide doesn't come close to somewhere like Brisbane, Perth, Sydney or Melbourne. It's more of a town than a city! People elsewhere in Australia look down on South Australia, and Adelaide, but those of us who live here find that quite amusing as it shows that they obviously haven't spend much - if any - time here at all! It's not somewhere most people would want to come on holiday, but to live is a different thing.....

jasongd, everyone is going to have differing views on what places are like depending on their own expectations and experiences, likes, dislikes and how they live their lives. Not for everyone is a bustling capital city or large coastal city with a big tourist industry and so on.

From what you've said, I'd think Perth or Adelaide are more suited to your needs and preferences. And if you want slower pace of life, more small town then perhaps SA near Adelaide is more suited to you.

With regards to the comment made by your mother, times have changed and I think to disregard an entire state/city area based on her opinion is a bit daft. I've spent plenty of time in SA in and around Adelaide and have never felt unsafe or worried about my personal safety. My husband lived near the CBD for a while and when I was there with him, even then I felt safe and didn't worry overly about city living and all it might entail. But like everywhere, things can happen. Even in the smallest, quietest village in rural England a murder, car being stolen or robbery can occur. Same can happen in Australia. Or the US, Canada, France.....

I'd make a list of what you want from a move and then do some more research into both cities/areas.

I personally love Adelaide. It is a slower pace of life, has some lovely beaches that are far removed from tourist filled or over used and some small towns outside of the city that might tick your boxes. Or even a suburb of the city as it sprawls so far now. My husband is from there so it helps us that returning there is a given. But I'd not move there if I didn't think it was a good place to bring up our son (now 3) or didn't have what we needed and wanted for our lives. I have no qualms about moving to Adelaide and I have done loads of reading, research and spent plenty of time there also which helps. I certainly didn't want to be in one of the bigger cities or living a faster pace of life. For us that is not what its all about.

Also the climate is decent. It can get very hot in summer (40c) plus and its a dry heat, not a humid or tropical heat. It does also get colder in winter but not cold as in UK cold. I've yet to spend a winter in Aus, only spent spring, summer and autumn so far :cute: but loved the spring and autumn, found the summer a bit hard going but only because I hadn't fully adjusted to 30C plus for days at a time. However, I know I'll be fine once living in it as you do adjust to the climate you live in.

I can't comment on Perth as have not been there. I know during my initital research I did rule it out for us mainly because it did feel like it was more isolated and away from things. I know its only a plane ride to elsewhere but I felt that along the coast, there was only so far you could go before reaching limits and also inland. I wanted to be somewhere there was 'more'. Being able to drive either way, reach Melbourne in a day, have other options with regard to trips, days out and so on. I felt we would exhaust this quicker in Perth than anywhere else major city wise in Australia. Of course the family ties with Adelaide were a big factor also. But Perth never felt in the running for us. Melbourne was an option but again, we don't need busy nightlife, trendy bars or anything to do with that bigger city living. Also it was far more expensive than Adelaide. End of the day for us family ties, love of the city and surrounding area, schools, areas to live, those were the reasons we decided to return to Adelaide over somewhere else in Australia. Both hubby and I are happy with this choice and are working toward our return :)

End of the day, what your requirements for a move are will ultimately lead you to your destination. Do plenty of reading and remember everyone will have an opinion :cute: Take a look at Flickr for albums from both areas, loads of people post their photos publicly and you can see more of what each area looks like. Or use Google images or something. Also do lots of reading, tourist sites, schooling, areas to live, prices of accommodation, jobs and more. It'll all help give you a better idea.

It's not somewhere most people would want to come on holiday, but to live is a different thing.....

You just summed it up there. I like that its not a touristy place like other cities in Australia. That it is still a home city first and foremost and not overrun or commercialised beyond recognition. If I was a tourist visiting Aus I'd want to do Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and the GC. But Adelaide wouldn't have been on my list. But having gone there I loved it, liked its slower pace of life, its less dressy look and its outlook.

Guest Maria Day

Hello PIA, just putting my input base on experienced we had when we went there few years ago. I have 2 children,hubby and I been thinking of wanting to move there after we visited his relatives in Sydney. We looked at NSW, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide to compare which suits as better. NSW and Sydney, we find it a bit overpopulated for our liking and also expensive. Melbourne, the weather is unpredictable you could get wind, sun and rain in a day. Being my hubby like to fly small plane as hobby it's unsuitable for him. Adelaide, The town center is quite small and not as busy as the other city. Didn't even stuck in a traffic. Glenelg was fantastic for kids, they love the water park and the walk to the beach.The beaches down south is breathtaking and so empty. mind you, you won't find Oz sunbathing in the middle of the day and if you find one THat would be the Brits. :wink: We have choosen Adelaide coz it felt right for us. Ultimately, that will depend what lifestyle you prefer to live and obviously where work is most desirable. It is best to visit the place first before deciding.

Guest jasongd

Hi,

What I am wanting to take out of this is simple. I really dont have the money for a reccie, although did live in Kiama for a year so know what oz is all about. I need to make an informed choice on our destination. I am not going to go with someone else's opinion as we are all individual. ( apart from the man at the back of one scene in THE LIFE OF BRIAN). I hope to be able to tick some boxes before I go over there to live.

Kiama was perfect apart from some key factors, no jobs and very expensive.

So what I will do is keep talking on this and research like mad and when the time comes I will know that where I have chosen will be close to what I want but I might get there and not get a "I am home feeling" and end up moving before I find the mythical Utopia.

I love reading other peoples opinions on subjects that I am researching you never know I might get to Adelaide and think this is the place for me. If you dont get as much information and research you could want a quite life and end up on Bondai beach or be looking for a city life and end up in swanhill ( This actually happened to us, lost a fortune in 2002 and had to cut our loses and go and stay with Family in Kiama must have lost $20k in three weeks due to bad advice and bad decision making)

Keep the opinions coming they are great.

Jason