Job before we go or just go?- advice please

Guest pixie7

Guest pixie7

Hi Guys,

OH has just started looking for a job in Adelaide- he has been asked to fill in forms send cv etc by an agency who seem to be very big in his line of work- but they also state that most of there clients will want to interview face to face so he needs to be out there. I realise there are other agencies and some companies advertise direct but just wondering we were hoping that he would get a job before we go out:confused: are we being naive?

Any advice or others experiences?

Not sure whether to wait and job hunt or just commit to going and book flights:huh:

Guest stekaz

hi there, good luck with whatever you decide.

depends on how much money you have to last you i suggest.

a quick word though, dont know what work you are after but i have used agencies in the past and most seemed to be just interested in having lots of people on their books. i only ever got offered 1 job through an agency -when i didnt need one obviously- so after spending a lot of time in so called interviews for no result i am a bit suspicious of agencies these days.

steve

Guest bishop3912
Hi Guys,

OH has just started looking for a job in Adelaide- he has been asked to fill in forms send cv etc by an agency who seem to be very big in his line of work- but they also state that most of there clients will want to interview face to face so he needs to be out there. I realise there are other agencies and some companies advertise direct but just wondering we were hoping that he would get a job before we go out:confused: are we being naive?

Any advice or others experiences?

Not sure whether to wait and job hunt or just commit to going and book flights:huh:

Hi, we took the plunge and came out, OH tried to get work b4 we landed but no go, people wanted to see him face to face, prob is they dont want to waste time on people who are not out here in Oz, even if you book your flight tickets, that's no guarantee to them that you will come, also alot of IT agencies want to do a face to face meeting before they will put you forward for any interviews, this seems a bit of a pain but does seem to speed up the process of getting a job as they can vouch that you are the sort of person that will fit in with their relevant clients. He joined the main IT agencies when he landed, Paxus were the ones that ended up getting him a job, the first week we arrived he had interview and second week got the job, started work the 3rd week!!! whirlwind for us lol. Good luck with your decision. IT jobs seem to be OK at the mo so he shouldn't have a problem in getting work in the area he is in.

Guest Shanners

Hi there,

I think its unlikely that your OH will get a job before arriving (although some people have).

The IT contract market is fairly good at the moment although it does depend on his specific area of expertise.

I would advise spending a few days in the CBD meeting with agencies direct so that you can build up a relationship with them - so that you're not just a name on a CV. That way you'll be put forward for jobs that aren't even advertised.

You'll find the major agencies advertising on Seek.com (Hays, Paxus, Hudson, Icon etc) and there is a good IT salary guide that you can request from the HAYS website.

Cheers

Chris

Guest pixie7

Thanks all for the advice. I think we will take the plunge!

Got another question though- if oh came out end Nov/Dec is this a terrible time to look for jobs?? Not sure whether we can go as early as oct, but worried about job market in dec or shall we wait until jan?

Thanks for the help

Helen

Hi there,

I think its unlikely that your OH will get a job before arriving (although some people have).

The IT contract market is fairly good at the moment although it does depend on his specific area of expertise.

I would advise spending a few days in the CBD meeting with agencies direct so that you can build up a relationship with them - so that you're not just a name on a CV. That way you'll be put forward for jobs that aren't even advertised.

You'll find the major agencies advertising on Seek.com (Hays, Paxus, Hudson, Icon etc) and there is a good IT salary guide that you can request from the HAYS website.

Cheers

Chris