Access to UK tv shows in Oz

Guest ebstar

Guest ebstar

Hi all,Can anyone tell me please if its possible to watch Uk tv shows from Oz? Yes i admitt the show i'm after is xfactor. A close friend of ours has a sister with an amazing voice. So far she has gone through the first couple of boot camp rounds with great comments and it would be nice to watch a couple of episodes to see how things go for her. Thanks

Guest loopylisa

You could download a torrent client and then use torrents. Or you could use something which blocks your IP address and then you could watch from itv player or try you tube :)

• 5 months later...

<with mod hat on>

Sorry about that Baggienurse - you have probably heard in the press recently about new laws that they are trying to bring in in the US to protect broadcasting - it hit the papers worldwide because of the protest blackout of Wikipedia?

There is a lot of talk about the legality of downloading stuff from p2p sites - and the reason Wikipedia were protesting was because some of the laws are about making it possible to take down and find 'guilty by association' any third party sites seen to be promoting - or even mentioning - those downloading sites which enable people to access material that they might otherwise have to pay for. For example, if Setanta have paid a lot of money to have sole broadcasting rights of a particular sports match, they might take umbrage at people being able to stream that match elsewhere. Likewise people in the UK pay for a TV license still, which is probably why if you try to watch something through BBC iPlayer, and it recognises that your IP is outside of the UK, it won't let you do so (yet!)

I'm not a lawyer, and don't claim to know all the ins and outs of the laws they are trying to bring in, but it just seems safer to avoid the possibility of PIA getting embroiled in anything by suggesting people contact others by PM with the company/website names, rather than putting it on an open forum.

Hope that makes sort of sense - I'm probably totally over-reacting and in which case I apologise, but I try to be "better safe than sorry" when it comes to legal stuff, and if it means someone having to send a PM instead...well, it's only a few extra minutes of their time!