new passports and transferring visas

rachel31

I have just renewed my childrens passports and now have the issue of the visa. It is in the old passport which has expired.

Is it better for kids to carry both old and new ( both british passports) or head to immigration in Adelaide for electronic transfer of visa?

If this has been asked previously apologies,

any info would be fab as a 3 hour drive into Adelaide awaits me if i need to head to immigration!

thanks in advance

Rach

Guest SusieOR

Just carry both passports this is fine!!! The visa's are electronic anyway so it should transfer automatically to the new passports in the background, so to speak!!!

Sx

Nothing will happen automatically in the background. You have to inform DIAC of your new passport details. You don't have to go in person, just fill out form 929 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/929.pdf and send it by snail mail or fax with a certified copy of the new passport (don't think you have to certify it if you fax, a colour scan is fine). Once DIAC has these details, they will transfer the e-visas over to the new passports. This, plus a copy of the grant letter is all you generally need to travel with. Whether you choose to then go to the office at some point to get a paper sticker put into the passport is up to you.

I stand corrected... appologies... :confused:

Not a problem. I generally work on the principle that you have to inform people when you circumstances change, a change of passport is a bit like a change of address, it's simple to update the details in the systems, but you have to tell people to do it. (and there's invariably at least one company that you forget to tell - I'm dreading the change from maiden to married name, that's going to be a hassle and a half)

Just tranfered visa into my kids new passports. Dead easy. Rock up to DIAC on Currie st., with both passports and they will stick a new visa into the new passport, invalidate the old one and job done. Took about 10 minutes total. Son travelling with the school soon so now he only needs to carry one passport.

All you need to take with you are the old passport (with visa in ) and the new passport. At The DIAC first go to the counter to the right, explain that you want to tranfer the visa and they will give you a ticket with a number on (like the ones you get at the deli section at the supermarket). At the opposite end of the room there are around 12 counters that deal with visa issues. Just wait until your number is called directing you to the appropriate counter, as easy as that, and it's free.