Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By londongirl
    • 1 Post By RockDr

Thread: Taking jewelry safely

Taking jewelry safely

Does anyone know the best way to take valuable items like jewelry - obviously I can't ship it and the jewelry box is a bit bulky for carry-on baggage, but checked-in seems a bit risky. Should I get special insurance?

Felixstow, NE burb :) Heaven!
      588 times
      Certainly don't check it in - take it hand luggage - get a jewellery roll so you can stow it in the bottom of your handbag quite easily or something? Then the empty box can go in checked in luggage, and all the actual jewellery is nice and safe. I'm sure 99.9% of airport workers nowadays are wonderfully honest, but all it takes is for your baggage to come in contact with that .1% and its all gone - even though most of my jewellery is more sentimental than expensive I wouldn't risk it.

Obviously, if you are the queen of sheba and have piles of jewellery you may need to share it around all members of your party, but imho its just not worth letting anything that is small and worth lots of money out of your sight.
      Our 33,000km ish trip around Oz - have a look here (also good for tips on equipment and holiday places ) Our moving and living here blog :)

Thanks for that - I'd never even heard of a 'jewellery roll' - what a good idea - and now I know how to spell Jewellery properly too!
      Adelaide_bound likes this.

148 times
      As a cheap home-made roll, just use a hand towel, lay out all your jewellery on it, and roll it up. You may want some sort of zipped bag for the earrings, or hook them through the towel, and then put the rolled towel inside a bag so nothing can escape.
      Adelaide_bound likes this.