Partner visa question

Guest AussieSarah

Guest AussieSarah

Hi all,

Just wanted to run my situation past a few people to see if anyone has any advise.

I'm Aussie, been living in the UK on a 2 year youth mobility visa. My boyfriend in British and we have been living together a year in November. We are going to apply for a defacto visa so that he can come back the Aus with me as i am unable to extend my visa.

Trouble is we can not apply until November when we have been living together for a year. My visa runs out mid Feburary. Giving us only 3 months to get the visa approved. I'm seeing most places that there is a 6 month time line for a answer on these visas. I really don't want to have to come home without him and leave him here to organise moving to the other side of the world on his own.

Has anyone had any experiance with getting these visas through quicker. Or applying before they have been living together for a year? Has anyone been able to leave the uk when there visa is up and come straight back in on a holiday visa?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

My spouse visa took under 2 mths to arrange. It was prob more straightforward than a de facto though, even though its the same forms etc. BUt you could find it works out if you do all the prep now, fill the forms in, collect all your evidence etc. Have it ready to go the minute you are eligible for him to apply.

I remember how I was feeling this time last year waiting for my spouse visa.My husband's visa to be in England was due to run out on the 20th december and we were going through the whole should he leave without me situation or as RockDr suggested do I come on a tourist type visa and go out to validate when the visa was granted:arghh:We did it by the skin of our teeth and landed here with the visa in place,together on the 3rd december.Phew!!!!Anyway,the visa took 4 months from the day of lodging but I do believe it can take up to 6 months at the moment.I would suggest getting his medical and police clearence done now and then you can front load them with the application.GOOD LUCK.Sharon

The other option would be for him to come to australia on a tourist or working holiday visa while he waits for the partner visa to be granted. He'd then have to pop over to new zealand or Bali or somewhere when his partner visa is ready for grant.

Or come to Australia on a working holiday visa (if eligible for one) and apply onshore, therefore not having to leave Aus when it's granted. We recently applied for an onshore partner visa, and it was granted in about 48 hours.

Guest AussieSarah

Thanks guys!

He is to old to get a working holiday visa or any other type.

We are working on getting everything together now. Doing much research on what we need and plan to have everything ready to go as soon as November rolls around so they don't have to wait for anything.

Someone mentioned going on a holiday visa while he waits for the partner visa to be approved. Can that be done? I didn't think he would be allowed to come in on a holiday visa? If we could do that and just go out to validate that would be fantastic. I might look into that.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

He is to old to get a working holiday visa or any other type.

We are working on getting everything together now. Doing much research on what we need and plan to have everything ready to go as soon as November rolls around so they don't have to wait for anything.

Someone mentioned going on a holiday visa while he waits for the partner visa to be approved. Can that be done? I didn't think he would be allowed to come in on a holiday visa? If we could do that and just go out to validate that would be fantastic. I might look into that.

Thanks!

Yes, he could apply for the partner visa in London, and then come to Australia on a 3 month ETA visa, although if the visa is not granted before the holiday visa ends, you could be in a sticky situation.

Or come to Australia on a working holiday visa (if eligible for one) and apply onshore, therefore not having to leave Aus when it's granted. We recently applied for an onshore partner visa, and it was granted in about 48 hours.

Yeah, that's definitely not a typical timeframe for onshore applications...