Help required!

Guest Weekaty

Hi

I posted this on the Welcome section too but I think it maybe belongs here!

My husband and I (28/25) are seriously considering making the move to Adelaide in the near future to follow my brother, his wife and our niece, who made the move in July this year (and we have separation anxiety already!)

I am currently a high school English teacher (on my 3rd year) and my husband is an implementation manager for a scientific procurement company. We both have degrees and I have a postgrad in teaching and am starting CIPD in coaching and development.

We were wondering:

A) would we secure permanent working visas

B) the likelihood of us securing work when we arrived

C) In an ideal world I'd love to have a job prior to arriving; do schools sponsor overseas teachers or do they prefer it if you are in the country before offering work?

We were also wondering whether the working holiday visa would be a valid option. Is there any way this could turn into a permanent visa should the companies we're working for offer sponsorship??

Thanks

Kate

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hiya :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about implementation managers, so don't know if that could get you a visa or what prospects are in Australia, but the teaching thing I can sort of help with :) Check the SOL to see if your husbands job is on it, and then the SMPs to see if he is any of them. SOL : http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

a) English Secondary teachers, who aren't in Australia/have a job in Australia already, are only eligible for a 175 (last time I checked - I don't know if any of the states have changed their SMPs to include English teachers as well as STEM subjects - so check them all out for the latest updates). That just means it would take a little longer than the 176 visa. Times for allocation of a Case Officer for different visas:http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm

b) From what I've heard, only Maths and Science Secondary teachers are in dire need, however having said that, there seemed lots of jobs in the Metro jobs released a couple of weeks ago - they closed today though so have taken them all down (the SA DECS jobs site - http://www.teachinginsa.sa.edu.au/jobsearch/). Outside of the Metro area (ie Adelaide and suburbs) there should be far more opportunities though. Relief work seems to be there, so you can work with that, and that can lead to more long term work - its a lot like here I guess - its how I got my first full time positions in Primary (I was Secondary and made the shift over the Primary teaching), here in the UK (although better for Secondary - they aren't allowed to have Cover Supervisors out there, it has to be a qualified teacher in front of the class).

c) In my experience, no schools generally don't sponsor visas, especially for a non-shortage subject - there are enough teachers in Australia already (a bit like here), so they don't need to go through the headaches of recruiting whilst you are still overseas. Unless they are advertising in the TES (where they are obviously actively looking for UK teachers). If you are really set on this though, you can always trawl through each private school's website and look if there are any vacancies, or just email them anyway - don't know how good this site is for listing them http://www.isd.com.au/ and also try this one http://www.myschool.edu.au/SchoolSearch.aspx

The other option about the WHV would possibly work - you could do relief on it and that could lead to a private school sponsoring you, but I don't think a state school would (again, they don't really need to) - however a sponsored visa is nowhere NEAR as good as the 175/176 imho (I've got some musings on that on our blog if you want to read more) - I personally wouldn't go over on one, but thats just us really I guess, and because we don't need to - I was assessed as a Secondary School Teacher, and my PGCE is ICT, so I get in for SA SS under the Technology requirement, but if I was a different subject I guess we would apply for the 175.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Hi,

A) would we secure permanent working visas - I don't know, it's all changed since we came. You'll have to check with the state list and DIAC

B) the likelihood of us securing work when we arrived - Your OH maybe - sorry, don't know the field/job market.

C) In an ideal world I'd love to have a job prior to arriving; do schools sponsor overseas teachers or do they prefer it if you are in the country before offering work? - Very unlikley, as A_B says, they don't really need to.

Check out the visa situation and see where that leads to initially.

Cooler